Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM mission 1 - When the blood runs cold - 5th January 1917 by Tikkifriend

Default OTT-EYM mission 1 - When the blood runs cold - 5th January 1917 by Tikkifriend

Central Powers
    M Von Ricthofen
    Skills:
    • Acrobatic Pilot
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

Entente
    Robert Little.
    Skills:
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Perfect Aim
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

Briefly on secondment to the 52nd Squadron Ltn Robert Little was enjoying the chance to pass on his considerable combat experience gained in the RNAS to his RFC comrades.

Unfortunatly on this sortie his wingman had been forced to return to the airfield with a fuel blockage problem, leaving him alone over NML.

Visiblity was good and all seemed quiet on the Western front as he prepared to make a pass over the German lines hoping to deter any observation planes that might be tempted to probe into the British sector.

Turning his head to each side of the plane and tilting his wings to get a better view something caught his eye in his mirror.

Turning round to get a better view he saw a red ,what looked to be an Albatross on his tail. He checked his guns and cleared his smeared goggles with a clean rag and swallowed hard.

Move 1

Little saw that the German was gaining on him but had no height advantage.

He flipped the Pup into an Immell, firing as he got above his enemy (4).

Taken by surprise by the audacious move the Baron returned fire bullet for bullet (4)

Move 2

Following his doctrine Manfred turned and climbed.

Little turned into his opponent and took careful aim as the Baron floated into his sights. (sniper card) .

Hot lead spat into the Albatross cockpit, one nearly striking the arm of its pilot. as he pulled hard to port.
    (3, 3+Pilot card cancelled with LP card).

Fortunately slipping away from Little in the process who mistakenly had turned starboard.

Move 3

It was the Barons turn to Immell.

Little on the other hand kept on a turning pattern.

Manfred swooped down on the Pup but even with this pilots keen eye his bullets went wide (0, 0+ GJ).
    sniper card played to ignore 0 + GJ.

Littles Immell brought the Albatross directly in his sights . He made him pay , shredding the rudder and fusilage (4, 1+LRD)

Move 4

Manfred was no fool. He knew when to leave, and as this bothersome Pup was heading South this was the perfect time. He headed North nursing his shattered crate and his pride as best he could.

Result

MvR: Alb D.III - FTRB-D 0 kills
    Rolled 4+4 - crashed on landing
    Rolled 3 +1ACE +1RTB -1FRTB = 4 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 4 = skip 4.

Lt Robert Little: Sop Pup - RTB 0 kills; 1 FRTB-D

Victory for the Aussie/ Entente/Bulldogs

I am never too sure about scenarios with lots of ace cards. It can protect a long and boring game or make for a short but sweet result for one side. This being said I did enjoy the foray and was careful in selecting the best ace card to use for the Baron , avoiding an early pilot wound while climbing !!
    No doubt Snoopy would have taken him down first shot
    Last edited by flash; 11-21-2022 at 03:05. Reason: Title & Tally

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well played, Paul.
    A tough opponent indeed - but you pulled off a victory!

Short and sweet but some intense action, Paul. Well done.

Well, that was a pleasant romp over the trenches, Paul. Welcome back to the fray

Uncle says:

Good to see someone survive a meeting with the Baron, let alone send him home with a flea in his ear
    Shame it wasn't one of your roster, still, it saves on paperwork, though there was still a bit to do on the Tally!

PS, information has reached us that the Baron crashed on landing and was badly knocked about. It might be a while before we see him again.
    Last edited by flash; 11-21-2022 at 03:06.

"He is wise who watches"

Well done Paul, to survive a round with the Baron is no mean feat, to send him home with a flea in his ear is a notable deed, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I am never too sure about scenarios with lots of ace cards. It can protect a long and boring game or make for a short but sweet result for one side. This being said I did enjoy the foray and was careful in selecting the best ace card to use for the Baron, avoiding an early pilot wound while climbing !!
    That's becoming clear with some of the AAR posted. The turn limit was to avoid a long game, but it wouldn't avoid a boring (or, alternatively, a short) game. I think it might have been a good idea to have added one or two wingmen for each side.

A nice outcome for the Bulldogs. Well done.

Jolly good show old bean.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Well done Paul, to survive a round with the Baron is no mean feat, to send him home with a flea in his ear is a notable deed, indeed.
    Thanks John in answer to your PM re Mary she was discharged from hospital on 15 / 11 after 6 months , 5 of those in a special rehab hospital to get her walking, talking and swallowing agaian. The only residual damage is to her left ankle as the tendons and nerves were badly damaged and the ankle has locked, however she is continuing with physio 3 times a week and they hope in 6 months she might be stick free.
    She will be back for Doncaster 2023 and shopping

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nice one Paul. So enjoyable to read that. A somewhat different take on the scenario which makes it interesting. Some good shooting there by Mr Little and a welcome victory for the RFC's 52nd Sqn. Well done that man. Rep on its way

Thanks John in answer to your PM re Mary she was discharged from hospital on 15 / 11 after 6 months , 5 of those in a special rehab hospital to get her walking, talking and swallowing agaian. The only residual damage is to her left ankle as the tendons and nerves were badly damaged and the ankle has locked, however she is continuing with physio 3 times a week and they hope in 6 months she might be stick free.
    Obviously I've missed a trick here as I knew nothing about this. I take it Mary was involved in an accident, which Yon and I are sad to hear. Hope she is now on the way to a full recovery and is looking forward to that Doncaster shopping trip in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    That's good news Paul, it must be a big relief for you both. Really please she's still on the mend, it'll be a long process according to Mrs V who knows about these things but she's going in the right direction.
    Give her our best regards.
    Cheers

Brutal exchanges and cool AAR, Paul!
    REP

Welcome back Paul, some nice sharp action and close up shots there.

I liked that one. Good AAR.

Nice outing Paul. Your guest pilot did more than hold his own, well done! Sent the Baron off with his tail between his legs.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 04:42
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 03:34
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2022, 22:32
  4. Short and definitely NOT sweet
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-13-2022, 05:33
  5. WWI Short but sweet