Ares Games

Thread: Great War Mementos of a Great-Uncle

Default Great War Mementos of a Great-Uncle

In honor of this year’s Armistice/Remembrance/Veteran’s Day and of my late Great-Uncle Elmer, I made an album containing photos of his Great War mementos given to me just a few years before his passing in 1980. Uncle Elmer was a private in G Company, 111th Infantry Regiment, 28th “Keystone” Division of the American Expeditionary Force. He served in France from May 1918 to March 1919. Although not a member of the US Air Service, I’m sure he saw a few “flying machines” overhead.

Here's the link to the album:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=4805

A very nice collection of Great War memorabilia, as well as your uncle, Craig, thanks for sharing them.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very nice! Wonderful family collection!

Nice one Craig. Thanks for sharing those photos

Great collection, Craig! Thanks for sharing it.

Craig, thanks so much for your PM recommendation for fold3.com. I was able to find records for my grandfather and read through the 4th Infantry Division unit history also where I believe he was in the second phase of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive even down to the details of the failed dusk attack on Oct 9 in which I think he may have been involved based on things he told the family.
    Herman Weaver: left Hoboken, NJ on 18 Sept, 1918 with Company A, 121st Infantry on the Orizaba. Returned 13 Aug, 1919 from Brest, France on the Henderson, listed with F Company, 4th Infantry Division to Camp Merritt, Brooklyn, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    In honor of this year’s Armistice/Remembrance/Veteran’s Day and of my late Great-Uncle Elmer, I made an album containing photos of his Great War mementos given to me just a few years before his passing in 1980. Uncle Elmer was a private in G Company, 111th Infantry Regiment, 28th “Keystone” Division of the American Expeditionary Force. He served in France from May 1918 to March 1919. Although not a member of the US Air Service, I’m sure he saw a few “flying machines” overhead.

Here's the link to the album:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/al...p?albumid=4805
    Great pictures!!! I like the Field Hat he got and past down to the family!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grandpop ww1 unit.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	320769

Photo of my grandpop's unit in WWI. Note the uniforms are French. He was in the Czeck Legion. Thanks for all of you sharing.

Chris - glad you were able to locate your grandfather’s service records! It helps make WW1 more real and gives a better understanding of our respective experiences with our relatives and what they went through

Thanks Bob. The Czech Legion had an impressive record during WW1 as well as in post-WW1 Russia.

Craig, thank you for sharing this moving collection. The most interesting part has to be the contact information of the POW.

Thanks for sharing the photos, chaps.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. Great B-17 pic!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 17:19
  2. May is Great!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-05-2018, 18:01
  3. The Fun Of The Great Un*&^%$#!ing....
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 12:42
  4. The Last Day of the Great War
    By Kaiser in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 12:40
  5. Even More great WW1 Art.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 05:04