Ares Games

Thread: OTT - EYM Mission 1 - When the Blood Runs Cold - 5th January 1917 by Mike

Default OTT - EYM Mission 1 - When the Blood Runs Cold - 5th January 1917 by Mike

The 5th January had dawned much as the previous day, with bad weather, this time depositing a thin dusting of snow everywhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4338101_f520-553704348.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	320432

Name:	Sopwiths in snow 1917.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	320433

Not ideal conditions for flying. Uncle was shivering, despite the small stove that was doing its best to yield up its life giving warmth. He was working in his “Office”, little more than a large, dilapidated, garden shed really, when the telephone rang. It was Flight Commander Roy Mackenzie of 8 Naval, based at Vert Galant, a few miles north.
    Uncle listened for a brief while, then put down the receiver, slowly. One of the chaps he had been friends with during his early training days, Sub Lt John Croft, was reported missing. He’d been part of a patrol of four Sopwith Pups which had become dispersed yesterday afternoon. A second pilot, Flt Lt Allan Todd was known to have been attacked by three enemy aircraft and shot down and killed. It was believed, at this stage, that a certain Ltn Manfred von Richthofen was responsible. At least, the report included the sighting of a red Albatros type enemy aircraft involved. Mackenzie had requested that any pilots flying today keep an eye open for signs of the missing John Croft.

Uncle sent for Lt Mick E Taker.

“Mick, I have a job for you! The navy has lost one of its own and asked us to help in the search for him. Its an old friend of mine too as it happens, so I’m asking you to go take a look in the area around Metz en Couture. That’s where the Hun bounced another of their boys, yesterday, and brought him down. A red Albatros was involved, so I’m assuming you know what you might be letting yourself in for!”

Name:	albatros-d-iii-manfred-richthofen-red-baron-01-1173799022.jpg 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	320434

Name:	albatros_richthofen-3847152360.jpg 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	320435

“Ah!” exclaimed Mick and tried to hide the fact that his blood had run a little cold. Not because of the snow outside either. “I’ll take Simon Hawker with me then. He’s got a sharp pair of eyes and can watch my back while I’m doing the searching”.
    “Agreed” added Uncle. “Don’t go up there alone, whatever you do. That Richthofen chap is rapidly getting a bit of a reputation, so all the rumours and gossip seem to say! It only takes someone to see a red aircraft and everyone starts muttering about a red Baron or some such. You watch that six of yours, Mick. Don’t just rely on Simon, as good as he is”.
    “Right, Uncle” said Lt Taker ruefully. “I’ll be off then”.

Name:	EYM1 1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	320436

Name:	EYM1 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	320437

“Wow, is it bl**dy cold up here today?” Mick muttered to himself. It was now ten minutes into the patrol and as Mick wriggled his toes, to try to get some life into his feet, he looked around to make sure 2nd Lt Simon Hawker was still with him. But the latter was waggling his wings and waving frantically. It took a few minutes to make things clear but it became apparent that Simon’s Pup was having engine problems and he’d have to turn back.

Lt Mick E Taker should have turned back with him, but he was loath to give up the patrol so soon and if he turned back now and arranged for another wingman, it would likely be too late in the day to start out again. A day lost could mean the difference between life and death for Uncle’s friend.

Little did he know, however, that Sub Lt John Croft, although not particularly comfortable with his situation, was, never-the-less, safely in the hands of the enemy, who were, right then, studying his new Sopwith scout very closely! Indeed, it had also been Ltn Manfred von Richthofen who had shot down the other one yesterday, his sixteenth kill, but his first ever Pup. He’d never seen one before and was extremely interested to find out more about this “new type plane, never seen before….”. Not only that, but he was hungry to shoot down another one!

But then, how was Lt Taker to know that, at this moment in time? So on he flew, unwisely or not. He had some months experience under his belt by now and he’d learned a trick or two himself. No red Baron was going to get under his skin, no sir! Besides, he, too, had a Sopwith Scout into the bargain and was more than happy with it's performance.

So it was that he arrived, without incident, in the skies above his designated search area. By now he was so cold his hands were almost numb. He dropped down, from the four thousand metres he’d flown at during his approach, to a level, not so high above the wintry landscape that he couldn’t make out small details that might indicate a crash site or some such.

Name:	EYM1 3.jpg 
Size:	279.7 KB 
ID:	320438

Name:	EYM1 4.jpg 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	320439

Glancing around too, all the while, looking for signs of possible trouble, he suddenly noticed another aircraft behind him. He couldn’t make out what it was as the light conditions merely rendered it as a black outline. Momentarily he thought it might have been Simon Hawker, who perhaps had somehow found his engine working well again. But some sixth sense prevailed and just in case he veered off to his left, intending to circle round and identify this other aircraft properly.

Name:	EYM1 5.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	320440

Name:	EYM1 6.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	320441

Name:	EYM1 7.jpg 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	320442

The other aircraft came on fast and flew on, in a straight line, past Mick before it also started circling, trying to keep on the tail of the tasty looking English scout. Not before time, Mick saw that it was indeed an enemy aircraft. It had the outline of an Albatros, a red Albatros, with which, by now, he was all too familiar and the thought crossed his mind, “Is this him”?

Name:	EYM1 8.jpg 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	320443

Name:	EYM1 9.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	320444

Name:	EYM1 10.jpg 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	320445

Name:	EYM1 11.jpg 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	320446

The Albatros, having circled in his direction, then appeared to be moving away, so Mick decided that this was no experienced pilot he was up against after all and made to follow, hoping to turn the tables on this opponent.

Name:	EYM1 12.jpg 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	320447

Name:	EYM1 13.jpg 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	320448

Name:	EYM1 14.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	320449

Name:	EYM1 15.jpg 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	320450

Too late he realised he’d made an error of judgement, for the Albatros did a very smart about turn and before he realised quite what he was up against, the enemy was heading straight at him. My was he fast too! Guns from twin Schwarzlose machine guns created tiny star bursts which Mick could clearly see twinkling a split second before bullets thrashed his Sopwith cruelly. Mick’s reactions were slow by comparison, despite his experience, and it was only as a kind of automatic reflex that he depressed the trigger on his single mounted Vickers machine gun. Where his own bullets went was anyone’s guess, although as the enemy aircraft flashed close bye, travelling in the opposite direction, Mick could have sworn he spotted flames and a trail of smoke following his opposite number. It was all happening so very fast, far quicker than in any other fight he’d been involved with. Whoever was flying that Albatros was good.

Name:	EYM1 16.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	320451

Name:	EYM1 17.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	320452

Name:	EYM1 18.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	320453

Name:	EYM1 19.jpg 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	320454

Not being fully aware of where he was and certainly having little idea of where the enemy was, Mick swung his head from side to side, desperate for visual information. He wasn’t quite in a panic, but the blood in his veins was definitely running extremely cold now. Fear works in strange ways for some. For Mick it was like time slowing down and thoughts, which shouldn’t have been in his head right now, interfered with his decision making. He pushed the joy stick over and the Pup swung to starboard

Name:	EYM1 20.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	320455

Name:	EYM1 21.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	320456

and kept going around to the right before, suddenly, again without warning, there was that awful red aircraft, guns blazing away already. “How does he do that?” came the ridiculous thought of the moment into Mick’s head. More bullets splashed with horrible whining noises all around him and over his Pup and “Ouch, bloody hell” into him. The shock made him tense, his cold, almost frozen hands jerked into a tight grip and his own gun fired. Black oily smoke billowed from somewhere in his engine. His aircraft was a tattered mess of ripped fabric, torn wood and dangerously loosened wires, all singing different tunes at once.

Name:	EYM1 22.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	320457

Name:	EYM1 23.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	320458

Name:	EYM1 24.jpg 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	320459

But it was all over, bar going home for tea time. Where was the other aircraft? That awful red thing, flown by that awesome opponent with lightning fast reactions and such a cool head. He searched the sky and there wasn’t a ****ie bird in sight. He looked down and, to his utter bewilderment, there, in a clump of trees, was something burning. He looked again, disbelieving his own senses, but sure enough, he could make out the remains of a red Albatros under the flames.

Name:	EYM1 25.jpg 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	320460

Name:	EYM1 26.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	320461

“How in God’s name did I do that?” he asked himself. Then the shock of what had just happened kicked in and he almost cried with joy. He had survived. It was a miracle. Better still, his opponent was down there. But had he survived to fight another day. Heaven help anyone else who had the misfortune to face him. “They had better be good”. He said to himself, then, grateful to be alive, he headed for the barn and that ever welcome cup of char. “No sign of Sub Lt John Croft” he thought. But he had given it his best shot, hadn’t he?

The End

Butcher’s Tally

Name:	EYM1 27.jpg 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	320462

Entente:
    Lt Mick E Taker: Pup/ FRTB-D / WIA / 1 kill (Albatros DIII)
    Landing: Rolled 2 + 3 Landed safely.
    Wounded: Rolled 4 -1WIA +1ACE(lucky Pilot) +1RTB = 5 - Injured skip 1D3 scenarios. Rolled 4 = Skip 2

Central Powers:
    Ltn Manfred von Richthofen: Albatros DIII/ FLM – FT / WIA 1 probable FRTB-D-W
    SD Rolled 6 – 2FLM +1 ace -1WIA=4 Injured skip 1D6=3 Skip 3 scenarios
    Assume no E&E rolls required as a) DIII came down in friendly territory and b) The pilot was, after all, a celebrity
    Result: Well, I think you all know that and if not, ask Snoopy

Notes:
    Many thanks to Paul (Shadow Dragon) for this starter mission in the new campaign. It was the shortest and perhaps one of the most violent (regards the damage cards drawn) I have ever been in.

Baron M von Richthofen used all of his ace skills, most of them twice. Survived a boom card from the opening shots, by using Lucky Pilot, but suffered the most horrendous “A” damage cards ever on just the first two of the three flame damage cards drawn. Four rounds from two close range fights added more high damage and he only went down because he was one point of damage away from shooting down the Sopwith pup. He had, of course, played both his Sniper and Itchy trigger finger ace skills, so a) Would not have been hit in the second close range fight if he’d had enough to down the Pup (Itchy trigger finger) and although he did huge damage to the Pup, using his Sniper ace ability (removing the only low scoring “A” damge cards that ever came up), it just wasn’t enough. Ultimately it was the fire that did for him. The Pup pilot also had the ace skill “Lucky pilot” and was able to discard an “A” damage of 5 with it in the first round, otherwise he would have been FRTB-D there and then and the mission would have been even shorter. And I swear, I shuffled both decks really well, including after putting back the discarded “Lucky Pilot” damage cards. This really was the closest run thing ever and the only mission I have played where both pilots got a “kill” albeit one them being an FRTB-D probable.
    Sharp eyed amongst you will notice that I made two errors, neither of which I corrected as it was far too late by the time I realised. 1. MvR drew four cards, not three, and discarded two low scorers when he hit the Pup first time around. Ouch that hurt. 2. I drew two damage cards against MvR, again in the first fight, and mistakenly one of them came from the “A” deck (Not sure how that happened). Oops that hurt too. I owned up to the boss who didn’t then ask me to do the whole mission again. So I haven’t

NB The Victory by M v R on the 4th January actually happened and it was indeed his first sighting of the Sopwith Scout (Pup). Both references to the Sopwith Pup pilots shot down on the 4th January 1917 are factual. Fl Lt Allan Todd is recorded as MvR’s 16th Victory, whilst Flt Sub-Lt J C Croft was taken prisoner.
    Ref: Under The Guns Of The Red Baron by Franks, Giblin and McCrery – pub.Barnes & Noble Books ISBN 0-7607-1209-3[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Last edited by flash; 11-04-2022 at 07:13. Reason: Tally Tidy

PS I should add that since its my first mission back after going AWOL for some time a) I decided not to use altitude in this mission and b) I flew both aircraft on Flash's AI charts. They did a lot better than I would have done
    Also, it should be noted that the 4th January 1917 was, in fact, MvRs last day with Jasta 2 (Boelcke). After that he took over Jasta 11. Finally, please note that on 4th January 1917 MvR flew an Albatros DII, not a DIII. Thought you'd like to know
    Cheers
    Mike

Great story and scenery Mike, good to see you back.

Deserved REP

Great photos, a close fight, wonderful terrain and a good story - what more could ask of an AAR? Welcome back, Mike.

He's back, educating and entertaining us! Well done, Mike Enjoyed that fight.

Great storyline Mike, up to your usual high standards, some amazingly high damage cards drawn, that must have given you a dry mouth moment or two.

Brilliant choice of background scene, it combines well with your opening pictures but what did you do with your base tiles. Are these completely new ones or have you been practicing sifting icing sugar onto cakes before trying it on your tiles. Whatever the answer is it looks awsome combined with the autumn/winter foliage and the planes stand out nicely against it.

Well done, a wonderful re-start to your campaign.

Thanks guys - it really is good to be back with you all again
    some amazingly high damage cards drawn, that must have given you a dry mouth moment or two.
    They certainly did John! The very first card drawn against MvR was a boom. I just sighed and said to myself "nobody is going to believe that!". Fortunately he had the Lucky Pilot ace ability. But from there on things just went from bad to worse Really enjoyed the scenario though, far more than I expected to. Thank heavens I flew the Pup on the AI charts as well as the DIII

what did you do with your base tiles. Are these completely new ones
    Same old tiles John, just sprinkled with scenic railway snow. Got to find a way of getting it back into the bottle now

Ah, welcome back to the fray, Mike, lovely job and a fun read

Uncle says:

Well done old chap, you were more than lucky there, a lesson learned for all not to go wandering about on your lonesome when the baron is around, lucky he didn't have any of his pals about with him !
    Couple of issues you've identified, one you may have forgotten 3 Wnd on an A deck does not send you home, 5 Wnd does, it's 3 Wnd on a B deck though.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

What an amazing AAR for your return.

The winter scenery looks awesome.
    You put such artistry into your missions and it really shows.

Well deserved REP has been dispatched.

Thanks again guys. Nice comments, much appreciated.
    3 Wnd on an A deck does not send you home, 5 Wnd does, it's 3 Wnd on a B deck though.
    Of course Dave, yes I should have spotted that one too. Getting dippy in my old age

Question please. The D* D8 Charts and a "D" Deck were needed for the Sopwith Pup. I used the Fokker DrI "D" deck, which has no tight left turn, so added the tight left hand turn from a Hanriot HDI "F" deck. Was that right, or have I forgotten something else from the past?

Great AAR Mike and just awesome scenery

Superb little action Mike, and great to see the way you interwove the mission with historical fact.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Thanks again guys. Nice comments, much appreciated.
    Of course Dave, yes I should have spotted that one too. Getting dippy in my old age
    Question please. The D* D8 Charts and a "D" Deck were needed for the Sopwith Pup. I used the Fokker DrI "D" deck, which has no tight left turn, so added the tight left hand turn from a Hanriot HDI "F" deck. Was that right, or have I forgotten something else from the past?
    Dippier...
    The Pup uses the unofficial D* deck where one of the sharp right turns is replaced with a sharp left. You could use a sharp left from the Hannover's W deck, it's shown as a steep manoeuvre but is the correct speed, unlike that of the F deck which, although not steep, is a speed band higher.
    There is a sharp left card for the D* deck out there somewhere. I'll see if I can find it again.
    There is an example deck here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post252797
    Or you could copy a real one, reverse the image & print ?
    Last edited by flash; 11-04-2022 at 04:53.

Here's the one I use, Mike. Should print at 68 x 44 mm.

Name:	D deck revision sharp Left for Pup ver2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	320548

Just the job, thanks Chris.

Dippier...
    I stand corrected Dave

Re the sharp left turn for the D Deck
    Here's the one I use, Mike. Should print at 68 x 44 mm.
    - Thanks Chris. I should be able to print that off ok

What amazing AAR's you do.

Great photos, board and backdrop provide the visuals for a great story. Welcome back Mike and congratulations on a super win for the first outing of a new camapign.

Cheers Gary. Didn't get it all right but I'm trying. Great to be back in the saddle again

Back with a bang Mike.
    Great to read your AAR . All the flourish of your former reports.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Good to hear from you again Paul Thanks buddy!

Well done Mike. Glad to have you back. Good job for Mick downing the Baron! As always your terrain is wonderful.

Thanks Peter. A very enjoyable mission and short into the bargain. I seem to be going through a long phase of drawing very high damage cards, quickly. Did it in this mission, although it worked out ok for me; did it down at the Flight Club, with Flash and co - couldn't last five minutes there in a mission; did it against my mate last week and got a good hiding to nothing, then yesterday I lasted three cards against my grandsons 4, 8 (collision) and 5, flying an Albatros DV. Needless to say they were very excited by that, so all's well that ends well on this occassion

Name:	Wings with the boys Nov 2022.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	321234

The youngest was providing the sound effects, as the red model makes machine gun and engine noises when fired

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-27-2022, 03:34
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2022, 22:32
  3. AAR OTT-BYM - Mission 12 - C Flight Runs For Home - December 27th 1916
    By Vagabond in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-04-2022, 13:45
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2020, 10:56
  5. AAR AAR Mission 1: Patrol over St. Caronne. First Blood.
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 07:22