Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: assistance wanted target cards

  1. #1

    Default assistance wanted target cards

    I've looked through the files and couldn't locate what I wanted. There are targets for: A7V Tank, 3 Ton Truck, 5 Ton Truck, 15 Inch Howitzer, 150 Gun and Mk V Tank. I've previously printed these off but could never print them off the correct size. Would somebody be able to print me off a copy (2 copies would be wonderfuller) the correct size - no need to cut out because I can turn them into game targets at this end. If you can help, let me know Ta Iain

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    Do you have a word processor program?

    I have used MS word to lay out cards, and print them. MS Word will let you size a graphic to specific millimeter dimensions. As long as the graphic is croped to the edge of the card, it should print out exactly as you size it.

    You are probably using A4 paper, which is different from Letter, but I can print 9 two-sided cards on a Letter page.

    PS: Screenshot of MS Word document with cards laid out for printing (Output at 150dpi on photo paper):
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-11-01 204314.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  139.4 KB
    These were souvenir give-away cards I produced for participants at a local convention.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-01-2022 at 21:47.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  4. #4

    Default

    Believe me I've hunted for the figures, but no joy. Target cards nearly done But - can someone give me the damage points for a 150mm K16 Krupp artillery gun ( I'll assume it shoots with an "A" deck) and the damage points for 4WD 3 ton truck and the Mack 5 ton truck. Can then hand write them on the cards before printing. Ta all

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Believe me I've hunted for the figures, but no joy. Target cards nearly done But - can someone give me the damage points for a 150mm K16 Krupp artillery gun ( I'll assume it shoots with an "A" deck) and the damage points for 4WD 3 ton truck and the Mack 5 ton truck. Can then hand write them on the cards before printing. Ta all
    Anything over 20mm in Wings of War/Glory should be a 'C' deck? Usually, WW1 AA artillery were 75mm-ish guns. The rules state that AA artillery uses the 'C' Damage deck. Bigger than that it goes to a 'D' deck. Anti-balloon Rockets in Burning Drachens use the 'D' Damage deck. Interestingly, when assessing what damage gets done by what weapon, how it works also plays a part.

    AA Artillery assumes a proximity burst, with shrapnel doing most of the damage. The variation in damage within the deck attempts to emulate the hit-or-miss aspect of that burst of shrapnel in the air, and just how close the proximity fusing got to the target.

    Incendiary rockets impacting a hydrogen-filled balloon is why there is some massive damage in the 'D' deck. Also, because the rockets were anything but accurate, so lots of misses.

    How much damage should a 150mm AA projectile do?

    As to how much damage could an AA gun take? It would depend on how many crew need to be injured to render the gun ineffective. I wouldn't think that light MG ammunition would affect the actual gun at all. If standard AA guns are 10 damage resistance, I'd go to 15 damage resistance for a larger gun. But, that's up to you, and depends on how hard you want to make the target.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Believe me I've hunted for the figures, but no joy. Target cards nearly done But - can someone give me the damage points for a 150mm K16 Krupp artillery gun ( I'll assume it shoots with an "A" deck) and the damage points for 4WD 3 ton truck and the Mack 5 ton truck. Can then hand write them on the cards before printing. Ta all
    Those cards had no damage limit assigned, Iain, however, Mk.V & AV7 tanks have 10, the Foster's a 9; Whippet is 8; Erhart EV-4 is 7; 15" howitzer is 18 and, of course, AA/MG/trenches are rated 5, so you can probably work something out and assign what you like. Don't put it on the card though, so you can change it as you wish for scenarios, or, wait until you've thoroughly rested it and found a value that works best.
    We've used trucks as targets a time or two in OTT - last time out the trucks had a value of 8 which can make them quite hard to kill, especially if you only have B guns, as it could take two or three passes to reach that, so I'd suggest go with 5 or 6 for the trucks. I'd say the same for the guns as it's as much about taking out the crew as the gun itself and a trench can be silenced on a 5.
    The cards were made by Max Headroom many, many moons ago so any stats would be his best guess, most tanks had single guns & cannon so likely should be B & C firing rather than A.

    "He is wise who watches"

  7. #7

    Default

    Mike / Dave. Thanks for the information. Will playtest the 5/6 damage for trucks to see how it works out. Retirement is less than two weeks away for me, so plenty of time to play

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Mike / Dave. Thanks for the information. Will playtest the 5/6 damage for trucks to see how it works out. Retirement is less than two weeks away for me, so plenty of time to play
    Congratulations on your forthcoming retirement

  9. #9

    Default

    Hi Iain. I have no idea if they may be any use to you or not, but I've put a few pics, of the target cards I use for WW1 games, in an album on my home page. If they are any good for you feel free to use them.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by flash; 11-07-2022 at 09:48. Reason: linked

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Mike / Dave. Thanks for the information. Will playtest the 5/6 damage for trucks to see how it works out. Retirement is less than two weeks away for me, so plenty of time to play
    We used 6 in one game, I'd go for that first.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post289534
    Last edited by flash; 11-07-2022 at 11:47.

    "He is wise who watches"

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Hi Iain. I have no idea if they may be any use to you or not, but I've put a few pics, of the target cards I use for WW1 games, in an album on my home page. If they are any good for you feel free to use them.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks for those, Mike. I will keep this in mind if I ever manage to add the 3D trucks and artillery to my collection.

  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks for the assistance people

  13. #13

    Default

    Perhaps if I presented them like this they would be more useful. If so I'd appreciate someone telling me what movement deck and damage points value to put on them. There are tanks, artillery pieces, trucks and all sorts. Or maybe as targets a simple value of five on everything would be better. And is XB too fast? Later I shall get around to painting up some mobile AA guns too. I'll need to know what they fire at. Presumably with a damage deck A. Would that be ok?

    Name:  Target Card 1.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  62.5 KB

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Perhaps if I presented them like this they would be more useful. If so I'd appreciate someone telling me what movement deck and damage points value to put on them. There are tanks, artillery pieces, trucks and all sorts. Or maybe as targets a simple value of five on everything would be better. And is XB too fast? Later I shall get around to painting up some mobile AA guns too. I'll need to know what they fire at. Presumably with a damage deck A. Would that be ok?
    XB deck is way, way too fast, Mike, it's for planes that do 100-130kph (62-80mph). Trucks topped out at 10-15mph on a road, some bigger tanks 10mph, probably half that cross country. Move them the width of a ruler on the front edge is roughly about right.
    Some armoured cars were quicker but you'd have to research that some.
    Mobile AA guns - if cannon's, would fire a C deck, if AAMG then a B or A deck if a twin mount.
    Last edited by flash; 11-08-2022 at 10:24.

    "He is wise who watches"

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    XB deck is way, way too fast, Mike, it's for planes that do 100-130kph (62-80mph).
    That depends on the size of the card. Remember the HP has a bigger base/card than the standard target card...

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    That depends on the size of the card. Remember the HP has a bigger base/card than the standard target card...
    I believe the speed quoted is adjusted to standard flight base size but, clearly, we're talking about a WW1 vintage trucks and the like .... it's still too fast.

    "He is wise who watches"

  17. #17

    Default

    Ah yes, you're right. Even XA would be too fast. For the tanks I have used one ruler width before...

  18. #18

    Default

    my thoughts on the XA/XB card for trucks. Still far too fast but using one card / not three per turn would represent the speed better Discuss!!! Will play test it soon

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Ah yes, you're right. Even XA would be too fast. For the tanks I have used one ruler width before...
    That is what I do as well Dom.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    my thoughts on the XA/XB card for trucks. Still far too fast but using one card / not three per turn would represent the speed better Discuss!!! Will play test it soon
    Better, Iain, but likely still too fast as a third of the speed will still pan out roughly between 20 & 27mph overall.
    I'm sure this was all discussed in the past somewhere and the range ruler width was about where it needed to be with an alternative of moving just the arrow length of the slowest decks with the front of a base for faster kit.

    "He is wise who watches"

  21. #21

    Default

    Re target cards: Cheers guys. As per my chat with Dave (Flash) I am aware that the XB cards are way too fast. I just wanted something to add to the prototype card which can be easily changed. Dave (Flash) argues correctly that stall cards are too fast as well, so a ruler width looks like a possibility.Ok I'll look into this further as I believe other members have already posted something on this subject before (possibly Zoe). Watch this space.

  22. #22

    Default

    Hi Iain. I have no idea if they may be any use to you or not, but I've put a few pics, of the target cards I use for WW1 games, in an album on my home page. If they are any good for you feel free to use them.
    Cheers,
    Re the above. I've now added some target cards into one of my albums. Each has a standard "5" damage points and for the vehicles represented, a standard movement of one "Range Ruler Width". These values can still be changed if necessary. Feel free to use if you wish.
    Cheers all,
    Mike

    Examples:Name:  Target card 10.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  250.9 KB Name:  Target card 3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  247.7 KB

    Name:  Target card 5.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  97.4 KB

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Re the above. I've now added some target cards into one of my albums. Each has a standard "5" damage points and for the vehicles represented, a standard movement of one "Range Ruler Width". These values can still be changed if necessary. Feel free to use if you wish.
    Cheers all,
    Mike

    Examples:Name:  Target card 10.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  250.9 KB Name:  Target card 3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  247.7 KB

    Name:  Target card 5.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  97.4 KB
    Thanks for these Mike, I've downloaded them all, just need to size and print. Expect to see them in a couple of years time.
    Cheers

  24. #24

    Default

    Expect to see them in a couple of years time.
    Cheers John.

  25. #25

    Default

    think XA/XB would work a bit better using the stall and short turn card, 1 card per turn - it's about as slow I can think

  26. #26

    Default

    great work on the target cards mike

  27. #27

    Default

    think XA/XB would work a bit better
    XB is what I began with, but following a discussion of that I went with the "Range Ruler Width. It's unofficial anyway so I suggest anybody using the cards chooses their own movement rate

  28. #28

    Default

    The trouble with using one 'X' card per three-card turn is that the ground target stays still, then stays still, then "leaps" forward over a triple distance.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!



Similar Missions

  1. New target cards
    By Spoonfrog in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 10-15-2022, 04:50
  2. Target Cards that look part of the map Set I: Factories
    By BraselC5048 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-10-2021, 14:15
  3. Target Cards
    By Skafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 10:26
  4. A, D Class destroyer target cards.
    By Skafloc in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 02:23
  5. 3D balloon bases and target cards
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 08:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •