Ares Games

Thread: OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by ShadowDragon

This is a little bit early, but I thought maybe people would like to take advantage of the weekend - the Halloween weekend.

OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by ShadowDragon

It’s was a new year but it was the same old war but the weather was miserable. Not that one would complain since the winter had put an end to the abomination called the Battle of the Somme, but there was still fighting and dying and, if it was cold on the ground, it was colder a few thousand feet up.

You are a sole scout pilot. Your wingman had to return to base due to engine trouble. Your mission had been to fly just across No Man’s Land, chase off any enemy observation planes you might find and head home for a cup of something to warm you.

With not wingman, you check your six. An enemy scout has dropped out a cloud – right on your tail. You recognize the plane; it belongs to a feared enemy ace. Your blood runs cold and you freeze – just for an instant. You must act fast for you’ll be the ace’s next kill.

Mat Set Up: A No Man’s Land (NML) mat and a mat of any other type that will be enemy territory; these are joined on the long sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EYM01_SetUp.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	320320

Plane Positions: Your plane starts heading on the middle of the edge of the NML mat heading into enemy territory. The enemy ace is 1 ½ rulers directly behind you if you’re both at the same altitude; and 1 ruler if the ace is one level higher.

Altitude (if you are playing altitude): Your plane starts at 4 pegs and the ace starts at 4 pegs (on a roll of 1-4 on a 6-sided dice) and 5 pegs (on a roll of 5-6).

Enemy Aces:

You can choose one of the following as appropriate with the noted ace skills. The plane chosen can be the one the pilot was flying in early January or the most up-to-date plane available – your choice or select randomly.

German Ace: Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Name:	Manfred_von_Richthofen.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	320317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MvR_Skills.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	320316

Plane = Albatros D.II or D.III
    Skills:
    • Acrobatic Pilot
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

British Ace: Robert Alexander Little

Name:	Robert_Alexander_Little.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	320315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAL_Skills.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	320314

Plane = Sopwith Pup or Triplane
    Skills:
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Perfect Aim
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

French Ace: Georges Guynemer

Name:	Georges_Guynemer.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	320319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GG_Skills.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	320318

Plane = Nieuport 17 or SPAD VII
    Skills:
    • Acrobatic Pilot
    • Daredevil
    • Good at Escaping
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace

Fictional Ace: (3 compulsory ace skills plus 2 other ace skills)

Plane = Whatever is appropriate for the nationality chosen
    Skills:
    Three (3) compulsory ace skills:
    i) Acrobatic PilotPerfect Aim
    ii) Perfect Aim
    iii) Lucky
    Plus two (2) other skills from the following (your choice or select randomly):
    i) Daredeveil
    ii) Strong Constitution
    iii) Super Ace
    iv) Bullet Checker
    v) Fire Expert
    vi) Itchy Trigger Finger
    vii) Sniper
    viii) Sharp Eye

Another Historical Ace:
    Choose an appropriate plane.
    Use any official skills for the pilot, if any, but, if the pilot does not already have 5 or more skills, add additional skills to bring the total number up to 5. Choose from first from the “Fictional Ace” compulsory skills and then from the optional skills.

“Not Yet His Time” rule – for any named enemy ace that is shot down or behind enemy lines, the enemy ace automatically gets the best result (i.e., a safe landing and escapes without being seen). A forced-return-to-base FRTB landing roll is not automatic but if the plane crashes the enemy ace walks away unscathed.

You do not get such a rule – your pilot follows the OTT rules! Too bad. It just might be your pilot’s time.

Game Duration: If neither pilot has been shot down or FRTB previously, the game ends after 12 turns (12 rounds with the champion). The enemy ace will dive into a cloud for whatever reason – low on fuel or out of ammo.

Victory Conditions

Start at the top and work your way down the list. The first condition that applies defines the victory or defeat.

1) The enemy ace is shot down – It’s a glorious victory, regardless of what happens to your pilot who is a hero (even if posthumously so)
    2) The enemy ace is FRTB – It’s propaganda victory, if your pilot is still flying okay (i.e., not shot down or FRTB).
    3) Both planes are FRTB or the game goes to 12 turns with both planes still flying okay – It’s a comforting victory. No big deal but at least you survived the ordeal.
    4) You are FRTB but the enemy ace is still okay – it’s a defeat but at least you’ve irked the enemy ace by denying him his next kill
    5) You are shot down – it’s defeat but you’ll go down in history as one of the enemy ace’s victims
    6) You leave the game mat for any reason other than a FRTB condition prior to game turn 12 – it’s an ignominious defeat that was observed by all the chaps in the trenches. A black for your squadron.

P.S. I have no idea why the inserted pictures are so large. It's not as if the uploaded files are large - between 50 and 133 kb. Go figure.
    Last edited by flash; 11-03-2022 at 05:09.

Looks good Paul. Start us off easy with only a couple planes. Might not be so easy fighting an accomplished ace!

Thanks, Paul, this could be an interesting scrap again. Two planes, bags of room to manoeuvre, we're off ! Fingers crossed everybody

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice one Paul. I got shot down so many times at last Flight Club, I feel I've had plenty of practice for being jumped again. Should be a nice quick start to the new campaign and all over in a jiffy - Now then, Which of my pilots do I like the least

Joking apart - looking forward to it Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice one Paul. I got shot down so many times at last Flight Club, I feel I've had plenty of practice for being jumped again.
    Yep, the Bullet Magnet was on !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice one Paul. I got shot down so many times at last Flight Club, I feel I've had plenty of practice for being jumped again. Should be a nice quick start to the new campaign and all over in a jiffy - Now then, Which of my pilots do I like the least

Joking apart - looking forward to it Paul
    Maybe you should borrow Vagabond's armour.

This scenario is just so Pete's top aces have some competition but maybe he'll keep them in hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post

This scenario is just so Pete's top aces have some competition but maybe he'll keep them in hiding.
    I have to keep Giesebrecht alive for mission 3, so can't risk him in this one I don't think ....

Or maybe I will and if he plummets I will give up that mission to someone else ...

Or maybe I will and if he plummets I will give up that mission to someone else ...
    [/QUOTE]
    A bold move Pete. I'm sure he will survive if he is up to flying the mission .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Maybe you should borrow Vagabond's armour.
    Only if he cleans the blood off afterwards.

Really looking forward to this, it's rare in a game to take on Dave's AI system without interference from another plane and I've enjoyed those duels immensely.
    Cheers

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2020, 10:56
  2. AAR OTTED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies - January 15th 1917
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-01-2015, 15:34
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 07:33
  4. AAR AAR Mission 1: Patrol over St. Caronne. First Blood.
    By Nightbomber in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 07:22
  5. CASUALTY RATES FOR THE RFC, JANUARY TO MAY 1917
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 09:31