Ares Games

Thread: The FE2b, Adlers and Dualing Solo Pilots

Default The FE2b, Adlers and Dualing Solo Pilots

After recently receiving my Shapeways FE2b FCN12 from Reduced Aircraft Factory, I wanted to try out some scenarios involving historical encounters between the FE2b and German opponents. The first encounter was Richthofen’s first aerial victory against Lt. Morris and Rees. The second scenario was Lt. McCrubbin’s victory over Max Immelmann, the Adler von Lille. Due to my recent enforced COVID isolation, I was looking at doing it as a solo game per Herkybird’s templates. But instead of me piloting one of the aircraft, I wanted both planes to each use the solo rules. I call it “dualing solo”.

AAR #1: Richthofen’s First Victory-Dualing Solo Game

In his first aerial victory, the Red Baron was flying an Albatros D.II against the RAF FE2b flown by Morris & Rees.

Special rules:
    1. The special damage effects are ignored except for the Boom card which is fatal.
    2. No altitude rules.
    3. The “rear” gun on the FE2b was actually in the front and the observer had to stand up and shoot over the top wing. Since altitude is not being used I decided to roll a single die to see if the target was within line of sight of the rear gun. If an even number was rolled, the target could be fired upon. If an odd number, the target was not visible.

Both planes start 24 inches apart facing each other.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	320111

The Albatros and the FE2b engage in close quarters straightaway. The FE2b takes serious damage. The special damage of fire on the Albatros is ignored per the solo rules.

Name:	IMG_2185.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	320112

The FE2b gets in a good position to fire on the Albatros and inflicts more damage.

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	320113

The FE2b maintains a good angle on the Albatros and continues to roll even numbers on the rear gun shooting rule #3 above.

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	320114

Name:	IMG_2190.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	320115

The Baron finally is able to return fire.

Name:	IMG_2191.jpg 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	320116

The FE2b continues to take more shots chipping away at his foe.

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	320117

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	320118

After pulling an Immelmann, the Baron is finally able to close in and inflict serious damage while the FE2b continues to whittle away at the Albatros.

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	320119

At this point the Albatros has received 12 damage points with only 2 left. The FE2b has received 13 and has only 1 damage point left. Both planes close in on a final face-to-face, do or die action. And……down goes the FE2b.

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	320120

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	320121

Name:	IMG_2199.jpg 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	320122

Using the solo rules for both planes took longer than when a human has the controls of one of them but it was still enjoyable. And the curse continues – this was the first air battle for my FE2b!

AAR#2: Der Adler von Lille-Dualing Solo Game
    The second scenario pits the Fokker E.III of Max Immelmann aka the Eagle of Lille (in the form of Ares Buddecke’s Turkish Fokker) against the RFC FE2b flown by Lt. McCrubbin and Corporal Waller. Like the Red Baron scenario, instead of me flying against a “solo” pilot, both planes fly “solo”.

Special rules:
    1. The special damage effects are ignored except for the Boom card which is fatal.
    2. No altitude rules.
    3. The “rear” gun on the FE2b was actually in the front and the observer had to stand up and shoot over the top wing. Since altitude is not being used I decided to roll a single die to see if the target was within line of sight of the rear gun. If an even number was rolled, the target could be fired upon. If an odd number, the target was not visible.

Both planes start 24 inches apart facing each other.

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	320123

Both planes head towards each other and in the initial flurry of bullets, Max scores a fatal blow against the FE2b!

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	320124

I later remembered that the Adler von Lille had taken down another FE2b in the 25th Squadron earlier that fateful day, so that was this “other” FE2b.

I decided to continue the scenario since one turn was way too short to end this game and drew another card for the FE2b.

Name:	IMG_2202.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	320125

The FE2b has a rear shot but a die roll per rule #3 determines the Fokker is not visible.

Name:	IMG_2203.jpg 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	320126

The FE2b gets a close range shot and its telling.

Name:	IMG_2206.jpg 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	320127

Yet another unanswered hit from the FE2b and more serious damage.

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	320128

Again a close range shot from McCrubbin only to totally miss this time.

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	320129

Finally the Eindecker closes on his tormentor but suffers a fatal blow.

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	320130

The Adler von Lille goes down.

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	320131

Meanwhile McCrubbin’s FE2b has barely a scratch.

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	320132

After the initial encounter, Immelmann was never able to get into range of the FE2b until the very last encounter. I was hoping for more of a fight between the two but it was either Boom or Bust for Max!
    Last edited by CrashCraig; 10-18-2022 at 13:42.

Nice. Very enjoyable! I love your range rulers. Did you make those yourself or get them somewhere?

Rep guns are jammed!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Nice. Very enjoyable! I love your range rulers. Did you make those yourself or get them somewhere?

Rep guns are jammed!
    Dan - I make them out of bass wood strips (1/16"x1/2"x24"). I cut to make them match exactly the WOG rulers as well as get the short range mid-point. After painting I use some of my left over decals for each end and then gloss them. It helps to show who shot who in the AARs. Glad you like them.

Good to see early war action.
    Rep always in action for good AAR

Nice scenarios! I like the dice roll rule for the pseudo altitude gunner check. Looking forward to getting my hands on some early war aircraft myself at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    .... Since altitude is not being used I decided to roll a single die to see if the target was within line of sight of the rear gun. If an even number was rolled, the target could be fired upon. If an odd number, the target was not visible...
    In spite of the aversion of most to use a die in WoG this is a simple solution as the FE2b could only engage targets to its rear at higher altitude, not on the same level - hard to accomplish without using altitude in a game ! I'd still use the blindspot rules when applicable though.
    Couple of good solo efforts there, Craig,

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Tried it out tonight at our regular meet - we thought it worked very well, I just needed to roll better die !

I enjoyed that. Was the no special damages rule because they were both solo planes? I also liked your rulers. We have a couple of Wings of War blue ones that we use for one side and the usual red ones for the other, but yours look much nicer. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I enjoyed that. Was the no special damages rule because they were both solo planes? I also liked your rulers. We have a couple of Wings of War blue ones that we use for one side and the usual red ones for the other, but yours look much nicer. Well done.
    Gary - yes per Herkybird's rule sheet, the solo-flying plane ignores all special damage except the Boom card, so in these scenarios both sides ignore special damage. When I "fly" one of the planes, I take all special damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Are those rulers homemade?
    Wayne - short answer is yes. See my reply to Dan above at #3. At first, I just made the red one for the Baron in my Snoopy battles but then I saw they would help distinguish who was shooting by making one for each nationality. It really helps in the AAR pics. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Tried it out tonight at our regular meet - we thought it worked very well, I just needed to roll better die !
    Dave - glad the die roll was a success. I don't quite understand the aversion to using a die in WOG. I've been using them with my other miniature gaming since at least 1973. But I still havn't figured out how to roll better die either

Thanks, Craig, for two interesting AARs.
    Like others, I thought the rulers were a good idea - especially, as you said, for the AAR photographs.
    Back in lockdown days, I tried a game with four planes where they were all on auto. It didn't matter how long the games took, because there were plenty of days to fill in!

Wayne - short answer is yes. See my reply to Dan above at #3. At first, I just made the red one for the Baron in my Snoopy battles but then I saw they would help distinguish who was shooting by making one for each nationality. It really helps in the AAR pics. Enjoy!

Dave - glad the die roll was a success. I don't quite understand the aversion to using a die in WOG. I've been using them with my other miniature gaming since at least 1973. But I still haven't figured out how to roll better die either
    It's an old taboo but is much faster than fiddling with tokens or drawing cards as an alternative. My FE2b survived, just, got a victory to boot and has now become usable on a game night. Loaded dice is the answer I think !

Similar Missions

1. FE2b Friday
    By Sauerkraut in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-17-2021, 05:10
  2. WGF Fe2B question
    By cepensarum in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2018, 04:28
  3. General Can an FE2b Immelman?
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: Historical Discussions