Ares Games

Thread: OBSERVATION MISSION OF A GERMAN BALLOON

Default OBSERVATION MISSION OF A GERMAN BALLOON

The reverse mission of the ENGLISH BALLOON MISSION.

An observation mission for two observers aboard a German balloon that had to stay aloft as long as possible, protected by an Albatros D.Va and a Fokker Dr.I (Antsaintex at the controls).
    A Spad XIII and a Sopwith Camel (led by Monse) are in charge of neutralizing the balloon.

1. The Spad XIII makes a descent and jams while shooting at the balloon.

2. The Camel successfully shoots at the balloon.

3. Short range shot of the Camel against Fokker Dr.I.

4. The balloon suffers only 2 points of damage from the joint firing of the allies.

5. The Albatros D.Va inflicts 7 points of damage on the Spad XIII, including one Engine damage (obligation to program one stall per turn until the end of the game).

6. The Fokker Dr.I jams while aiming at the Camel which inflicts 5 points of damage to the balloon.

7. Successful shot of the Spad XIII on the balloon.
    The jammed Fokker Dr.I is out of the Camel's shooting arc.

8. The Fokker Dr.I misses its shot on the Spad XIII.

9. The Fokker Dr.I misses again against the Spad XIII, which inflicts 4 points of damage on it, while the Camel inflicts 2 points on the balloon.

10. The Germans are in a good position to aim at the Spad XIII, but it is the Camel that hits the balloon again.

11. Immelmann of the Spad XIII whose shot on the Albatros D.Va causes a Flame damage.

12. Mutual fire between the Albatros D.Va and the Camel which takes 5 points of damage.
    The balloon suffers 2 additional points of damage from a shot of the Spad XIII.
    The observer has finished his observation mission and jumps by parachute.

13. Immelmann of the Fokker Dr.I who can fire at short range on the Spad XIII.

14. The Albatros D.Va started a forced descent to try to limit the effects of the fire.
    Consecutive shots from the Camel (which jammed) on the balloon and from the Fokker Dr.III on the Spad XIII.

15. The Albatros D.Va finishes its forced descent and can remove the last Flame counter.

16. The Camel shoots and destroys the balloon.

17. The Spad XIII chases the Albatros D.Va.

18. Destruction of the Albatros D.Va by the Spad XIII.
    The Camel suffers 2 additional points of damage by a shot from the Fokker Dr.I.

19. The Spad XIII makes a maneuver error and is eliminated because it has not planned a stall maneuver for this turn.

20. The Camel jams again.

21. The Fokker inflicts heavy damage on the Camel.

22. Pressed by the end of the day, the two opponents return to their camp with 2 points of resistance remaining each.

Result : one plane eliminated for each side.
    The balloon is destroyed but the observation mission is successful and an observer is saved.

That looks like a hard-fought action! The SPAD did well to stay in the game after drawing 7 damage in a single shot fairly near the start. How long did the observers have to stay aloft in order to "succeed"?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    How long did the observers have to stay aloft in order to "succeed"?
    They had to stay aloft during 8 turns (twice as the number of planes involved).
    One of the observer might have been eliminated by a Crew damage (not visible on the pictures).

A very nice action against a very tough opponent (balloon).

Nice AAR and great photos

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Nice AAR and great photos
    What he said!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great pictures and a gripping AAR

Who would have won this duel ? Who knows ? I was well on my way to eliminating that damn Camel. Thanks Monse for this intense game.

Similar Missions

1. OBSERVATION MISSION OF AN ENGLISH BALLOON
    By monse in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2023, 07:48
  2. Attack the German Observation Balloons
    By jwclere in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2018, 20:58
  3. A Paper Observation Balloon
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8