Ares Games

Thread: SALUTE 2023 - London

Default SALUTE 2023 - London

The 50th Salute will be held on 22nd April 2023 at Excel. I have booked a 12'x5' table on the off-chance any of you (Tim? John Biggles?) want to put on a game. If no-one wants to, let me know and I'll cancel. As its the 50th the organisers have suggested a bit of retro in a game (ie, resurrecting a game previously put on), but it is only a suggestion.

The tight-arses are only giving out 4 wristbands a game, any more costing a tenner each.
    Last edited by flash; 03-27-2023 at 10:43.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

With so much advance notice, I should be able to get to this one. Don't think there are any clashes. Happy to pay the Tenner.

Iain

Alas, I will be in Prague that weekend.

Hang on, what do I mean, "alas"????

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Of course! Prague's on the same weekend. Hmmm.......

I am in town so I will be able to join in

Tentatively yes, we can put up a reasonable number of planes, depends on confirmed support from others

Lest we forget

Gentlemen, we are confirmed as having a table at Salute - GH10, which is more or less centre of the hall. We will have another show of hands nearer the time. I'm hoping that my club's game will have enough bodies on it, so that I can participate in some aerial death and destruction this time round.

For anyone who wishes an overnight stay near Excel for an early start next morning, there is a luxury yacht hotel moored 2 minutes away (myself and Mrs G had afternoon tea on it last week), which only costs a bargain Ł350 a night

More Info as it breaks.

Possible for me too, but I won't know for sure until nearer the time. Happy to pay the tenner.

Hi Guys and Gals.
    The current plan is to run a series of WWI scenarios starting in 1916, DH 2s v Eindeckers etc, then moving forward in time using what planes are available ending in 1918 with DVIIs, EVs, SE VAs etc.
    I will probably put out a shout for a few additional aircraft as I sort out what I actually have v what we might need.
    Can also go Southern Front if people are interested.

Lest we forget

So, the latest is we get 6 wristbands for Salute, enough for everyone above who have said they will come along assuming you still are. If you want extra wristbands for camp followers at a tenner each please let me know ASAP.

Anyhow, given the cost of postage I'm inclined to dish out the wristbands on the day, ie phone me when you arrive and I'll troll out and meet you.

I'm assuming set up on the day rather the day before; if not we get a parking permit for the Friday afto if anyone needs it.

If you want to PM me your email address I can forward the hall plan and list of traders and games.

I'm still got for this, will PM you

Ello All. Won't be able to make this year. Just had a gig confirmed that our band is playing on that date. A bugger cos I like Salute

Sorry guys - I cannot make this one either this year. It clashes with a family event.

Exclamation Two Saturdays to go!

So, it looks like it's me, JohnBiggles, David Manley and Tony for Salute then. Anyone else willing to help out for a few hours please let me know as, due to the organisers sending me extra wristbands by mistake (and telling me to keep) I have more to go round.

Hopefully I'll get there at some point in the day to say hello - not 100% sure at the moment.

Due to stuff happening earlier in the week I won't be able to bring any stuff with me (although I will be picking up a few items including a duel pack and a mat from a friend arriving late morning)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Due to stuff happening earlier in the week I won't be able to bring any stuff with me (although I will be picking up a few items including a duel pack and a mat from a friend arriving late morning)
    No worries, John's got most things covered and I'm filling in with the mats.

Hi All,
    Of those coming along to help run the table, who is good at talking to people and being "front of house"? Not my forte really I'm afraid.

Lest we forget

I don't mind talking to the punters but given that there's only 3 of us, at some point all of us will have to talk to people.

Don't forget Mrs Biggles, demon pilot and all round handy person

Lest we forget

Ah! Muchos apolologies.

Fairly sure I'll be there some time in the morning to help out once I've had a look around.

I was planning on doing a batch of random 3D printed models this afternoon so if anyone would like a freebie or two at the show, get requests in now
    (1/1250 ships too)

Very kind offer Paul. Sadly I have a large resin pile of shame to get through so I will have to decline, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Fairly sure I'll be there some time in the morning to help out once I've had a look around.

I was planning on doing a batch of random 3D printed models this afternoon so if anyone would like a freebie or two at the show, get requests in now
    (1/1250 ships too)
    Ooh, very kind of you. Any chance of a Russian frigate or two? I've just printed your RCB1 for our "Swarming Boats" game, very nice indeed!

So what is the plan for tomorrow? I'm a train ride away from Custom House / Excel so I can arrive any time as needed

Ooh, very kind of you. Any chance of a Russian frigate or two? I've just printed your RCB1 for our "Swarming Boats" game, very nice indeed!
    Hi Dave - Already have a few spare Kresta, Kildin, Gorshkov, Grigorovich plus an old spare (10 years) shapeways Moskva plus a few others.

A couple of years ago I just turned up at the table, we had a few games and chatted - ended up there most of the day and helped pack away.

Good luck with the show chaps - look forward to some pics of the action.

"He is wise who watches"

So what is the plan for tomorrow? I'm a train ride away from Custom House / Excel so I can arrive any time as needed
    I should be there about 8.30, so any time after that call me and I'll deliver the wristband. Also while rummaging around for something else, came across a bunch of Takara "Ships of the World" stuff, mostly stealth boats and subs. I'm guessing at scale here - my Chinese is a little rusty - but I'm guessing 1/600 or 1/700. Any use to you? If not, they will make a personal appearance on my flea market table at Gillingham in June.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Hi Dave - Already have a few spare Kresta, Kildin, Gorshkov, Grigorovich plus an old spare (10 years) shapeways Moskva plus a few others.

A couple of years ago I just turned up at the table, we had a few games and chatted - ended up there most of the day and helped pack away.
    Seeing as your generosity knows no bounds, I happen to have a spare wristband if you are interested. PM me if you do and I'll give you my mobile number

Lovely to see everyone there yesterday.
    Huge thanks to Steve, John and Ruth for setting it all up.

Quite a lot of participation games and some very dubious flying, mostly by me.
    It looked like everyone had a good time.

I only have one photo but lots were taken by others so maybe more later.
    Last edited by decapod; 04-23-2023 at 04:06.

I think Paul took that during the lunch break

Just to prove that we had more punters than the one bloke waiting for a game:

A jolly good time was had by all; the first early war game was a bit light on players, but to be expected as everyone was busy shopping for goodies. The mid-war and late-war games had a good turnout, the last game going on right up to chucking out time.

I have more more pics from the event but they will have to wait as garden sheds don't erect themselves, as my better half has kindly reminded me...

Thanks to Mr and Mrs Biggles for doing most of the heavy lifting for the game.

Very impressive presentation, Steve and crew! Looks like a good crowd. Lots of work involved in the table set-up! Thanks for the effort to promote this game, and thanks for the wonderful photos.

its a long time since I wrote an AAR for this site, so its about time I got back in the habit.
    First a picture of the table just before Kick off.
    Name:  pic 1 hobbit.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  126.8 KB
    Note Mrs B having second breakfast (inner hobbit coming out)
    This was the result of over an hour's work by Mrs B (Ruth), Guntruck (Steve), Patient Zero (Dave) and myself.
    The first game was early war, Airco Dh2s and a Marone Saulnier N versus Eindekkers and a Halberstadt DIII.
    Name:  pic2 bulldogs on fire.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  118.0 KB
    Bulldogs being traditional on first contact
    Name:  pic3 bulldogs on fire.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  133.5 KB
    Flying Officer Kyte will, I am sure, be very happy to know that the Bulldogs upheld tradition by catching fire very early on
    Name:  pic4 bulldog down.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  121.3 KB
    Bulldog down
    Casualties soon began to pile up on both sides
    Name:  pic5.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  pic6.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  103.8 KB
    and if you don't steer clear of the other chap
    Name:  pic7.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  101.9 KB
    and of course there was the obligatory "damn I meant the other left"
    Name:  pic8.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  114.2 KB
    eventually as the casualties mounted
    Name:  pic9.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  113.2 KB
    the British, under the onslaught of the "Fokker Scourge" resorted to falling back on earlier designs
    Name:  pic10.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  138.5 KB
    (Bristol Scout)
    I forget the final score.... to be honest I didn't keep score as such, the game was really measured by fun factor and enjoyment.
    The first session ran from 10:00ish until just after 12:00 at which point a sandwich was definitely called for.
    So I shall end part one here, and start writing part two momentarily
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 04-23-2023 at 08:31.

Lest we forget

Looks like a good time was had by all.

Part two
    After a brief sandwich and a coffee, we moved forward in time a little and brought out some Albatross DIIs and another Halberstadt DIII, which were confronted by a mixture of Spad VIIs and Nieuport 17s.
    Name:  pic11.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  134.5 KB
    This time it was the Germans’ turn to catch fire first
    Name:  pic12.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  125.0 KB
    And as a Bulldog, I must admit it was nice to see us having a slight advantage in fire power.
    Name:  pic13.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  115.9 KB
    We soon joined in with the whole smoking and burning routine however
    Name:  pic14.jpg
Size:  125.0 KB
    And indeed crash and burn
    Name:  pic15.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  117.5 KB
    This poor chap flew on, got hit twice almost immediately and lost his engine in catastrophic manner!
    Happily endless respawns were allowed.
    Name:  pic16.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  96.8 KB
    Some guys just want to collect cards it seems..
    Name:  pic17.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  115.7 KB
    Just greedy if you ask me
    Name:  pic18.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  120.6 KB
    As others have shown, we had a lot of interest in the table during this session, and it was my turn to loaf around and answer questions from passers by so Mrs Biggles GMd this game which ran from around 12:20 until nearly 14:30
    The final part should appear shortly.
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 04-25-2023 at 09:26.

Lest we forget

Part three
    The last session moved forward to the fast planes of the late war period (mostly), and we went for a bit of balloon bashing.
    Name:  pic20.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  131.7 KB
    The Roland went up to patrol around the Balloon in the vain hope of deterring the mixture of Se5As, Camel and BrisFit (Chris’s favourite)
    Name:  pic21.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  123.5 KB
    While a Dr1 along with a Fokker DVII and an Albatros DVa made up the rest of the defenders.
    Despite its superior handling the DVII was no match for this lucky pilot
    Name:  pic22.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  119.2 KB
    And as Airfix prepare to re-release their famous “Dogfight Duel” set here is a reminder of just how good a BrisFit can be in a dogfight
    Name:  pic23.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  132.7 KB
    “I say, hot sausage anyone?”
    Name:  pic24.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  127.6 KB
    If memory serves, this is just after the moment when the Se5 pilot with the matches got a taste of the full fury of a Roland’s unusual gun arcs; the front gun just clipped the rear of the base for one B, but the rear gun had him at close range for two more Bs, sadly picking up a jam in the process.
    Name:  pic25.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  128.1 KB
    The BrisFit didn’t get it all his own way
    Name:  pic26.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  121.7 KB
    And the balloon having soaked up a fair number of A cards, the other SE5 quite deflated the sausage!
    Name:  pic27.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  121.1 KB
    After the balloon went, we quickly devolved to the usual mad dogfighting frenzy so much enjoyed at conventions,
    Name:  pic28.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  114.5 KB
    with aircraft falling left right and centre
    Name:  pic29.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  100.4 KB
    and occasionally in tandem
    Name:  pic30.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  115.5 KB
    The Dr1, (I asked the player which side he preferred, he answered “well I am German so…”) finally went down, lucky guy to last so long with a relatively fragile aircraft
    Name:  pic31.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  103.6 KB
    And then there was the usual shocking driving by some French chap (actually Dave)
    Name:  pic32.jpg
Size:  94.5 KB
    After mauling the Se5 he took out the Albatros
    Name:  pic33.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  89.3 KB
    And himself
    Name:  pic34.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  93.0 KB
    Moments later the Red Baron took out the American (flown interestingly enough by an American),
    Name:  pic35.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  96.6 KB
    And as he got up to leave we called Time as it was nearly 17:00, the end of the convention, and almost train o’clock for Steve and Dave.

It was a great day.
    We sent a lot of people over to a game stall stocking WoG Duel Packs, solo packs and mats, we made a lot of new friends, and hopefully, some of them will say hello on here in due course.
    I must thank Ruth, Steve, Dave and Paul (Decapod) for all their help setting up, helping to train new pilots, and in Paul’s case, handing out freshly printed 3D models to all and sundry, and at the end of the day to all of them for helping to pack up, sort out whose kit was whose, and again to Paul for helping Ruth and me get all our kit down to the carpark.
    Last edited by johnbiggles; 04-23-2023 at 10:16.

Lest we forget

Looks like a great time had by all Congratulations to all involved

John, good work on the AAR but your part two attachments aren't showing - probably timed out when being prepped.
    Nicely done chaps & chapesses, I must try and get back to Salute again one day.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for sharing that with us John. Looks like you had a great time and plenty of support from the punters.

Thanks for holding the Fort along with Ruth and co. John.
    The number of punters you drew in is impressive.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    John, good work on the AAR but your part two attachments aren't showing - probably timed out when being prepped.
    Nicely done chaps & chapesses, I must try and get back to Salute again one day.
    Finally have time to re-post the pictures for part two!
    Enjoy

Lest we forget

Excellent, thanks John. Always nice to see the SPAD VII's getting a work out !

"He is wise who watches"

Great AARs John. Thanks for posting all your photos.

A most enjoyable report!
    Seems I missed a grand day out.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Prague 2023
    By Dan-Sam in forum Prague Summer Con
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 01-28-2024, 03:35
  2. DONCASTER 2023
    By Hedeby in forum Doncaster Con
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 07-14-2023, 08:05
  3. Vulcan to leave Doncaster in 2023
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2022, 01:20
  4. Salute 2021 (or is it Salute 2020 redux?)
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 12-04-2021, 00:09
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2020, 06:59