Ares Games

Thread: rfc identification letters

Default rfc identification letters

getting some of Daryl's DH2s/FE2bs. quick check. Where the RFC using identification letters on the top wings of the planes at this time? Mainly as an aid to me of which plane / which deck but a bit of historical accuracy is nice

Hmmm...

I have serious problems researching aircraft markings, when making cards, because most of the recorded markings are side profiles. A lot of images are front or 3/4 views, and the top wing is not visible. I sometimes try to find decal sheets for a particular plane, hoping to find upper wing markings. This doesn't necessarily provide historical accuracy, only one source's idea of what might have been on the plane.

When painting up the Sopwith Triplanes of the Black Flight of Naval No. 10 Sqn, I found a few conflicting images of Collishaw's Triplane, but identifying individual serial numbers to confirm which markings were on which planes was nearly impossible. So, I faked it. I also put letters on the empanages of all five single-gunned planes, to differentuate them on the table. It was probably not accurate. It works on the table for games.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The general rule is, "the earlier in the war, the less likely there will be individual markings (or even unit markings)". Of course, that's very general and even some of the earliest planes were "dressed up", e.g. Udet's Fokker E.III, and some late-war planes were plain.

Wingnut Wings has paintings of ten FE2bs, and the only one with top-wing markings is a trainer. Their DH2 paintings are a mix of no-wing-markings and simple letters and/or numbers.

Thanks for your advice people. Think I will go with a letter on top wing, just to make my life easier (and I've got lots of sheets of letters) Order coming your way soonish Daryl

Similar Missions

1. Western Front: Seaplanes in Zeebrugge video identification
    By Spoonfrog in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2021, 18:41
  2. Help on the F15 Xerex 31 Colour scheme and identification
    By Absurdbanipal in forum PW2: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-04-2021, 01:33
  3. plane identification letters / phonetic alphabet
    By camel crew in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6