Ares Games

Thread: All The OTT Edgy Young men (EYM) Campaign Scenarios - Jan-Mar 1917

Default All The OTT Edgy Young men (EYM) Campaign Scenarios - Jan-Mar 1917

You will find here a compilation of all the 'Edgy Young Men' solo campaign scenarios created by 'pilots' engaged in the campaign namely:
    Dave (flash), Paul (Tikkifriend), Peter (Teaticket), Pete (Stumptonian), John (Vagabond), Paul (ShadowDragon), Barrie (Baz), Chris (Malachi), Gary (Hu Rhu), Mike (Mikeemagnus)

The original threads are still available (linked in the posts) if you want further reading but the bones of the originals have been put here for your convenience. We hope you enjoy them.

If you get into the AAR's then please leave a comment for the author, if only a couple of words, the games can take hours to play and the AAR take hours to prepare for your viewing pleasure and showing your appreciation, especially in REP, will be.. appreciated!

Cheers Dave - flash.
    Last edited by flash; 10-29-2022 at 00:24.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM Mission 1: When the Blood Runs Cold – 5th January 1917 by ShadowDragon

It’s was a new year but it was the same old war but the weather was miserable. Not that one would complain since the winter had put an end to the abomination called the Battle of the Somme, but there was still fighting and dying and, if it was cold on the ground, it was colder a few thousand feet up.

You are a sole scout pilot. Your wingman had to return to base due to engine trouble. Your mission had been to fly just across No Man’s Land, chase off any enemy observation planes you might find and head home for a cup of something to warm you.

Without a wingman, you check your six. An enemy scout has dropped out a cloud – right on your tail. You recognize the plane; it belongs to a feared enemy ace. Your blood runs cold and you freeze – just for an instant. You must act fast for you’ll be the ace’s next kill.

Mat Set Up: A No Man’s Land (NML) mat and a mat of any other type that will be enemy territory; these are joined on the long sides.

Plane Positions: Your plane starts heading on the middle of the edge of the NML mat heading into enemy territory. The enemy ace is 1 ˝ rulers directly behind you if you’re both at the same altitude; and 1 ruler if the ace is one level higher.

Altitude (if you are playing altitude): Your plane starts at 4 pegs and the ace starts at 4 pegs (on a roll of 1-4 on a 6-sided dice) and 5 pegs (on a roll of 5-6).

Enemy Aces:

You can choose one of the following as appropriate with the noted ace skills. The plane chosen can be the one the pilot was flying in early January or the most up-to-date plane available – your choice or select randomly.

German Ace: Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Plane = Albatros D.II or D.III
    Skills:
    • Acrobatic Pilot
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

British Ace: Robert Alexander Little

Plane = Sopwith Pup or Triplane
    Skills:
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Perfect Aim
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace
    • Lucky

French Ace: Georges Guynemer

Plane = Nieuport 17 or SPAD VII
    Skills:
    • Acrobatic Pilot
    • Daredevil
    • Good at Escaping
    • Itchy Trigger Finger
    • Sniper
    • Super Ace

Fictional Ace: (3 compulsory ace skills plus 2 other ace skills)

Plane = Whatever is appropriate for the nationality chosen
    Skills:
    Three (3) compulsory ace skills:
    i) Acrobatic Pilot
    ii) Perfect Aim
    iii) Lucky
    Plus two (2) other skills from the following (your choice or select randomly):
    i) Daredevil
    ii) Strong Constitution
    iii) Super Ace
    iv) Bullet Checker
    v) Fire Expert
    vi) Itchy Trigger Finger
    vii) Sniper
    viii) Sharp Eye

Another Historical Ace:
    Choose an appropriate plane.
    Use any official skills for the pilot, if any, but, if the pilot does not already have 5 or more skills, add additional skills to bring the total number up to 5. Choose from first from the “Fictional Ace” compulsory skills and then from the optional skills.

“Not Yet His Time” rule – for any named enemy ace that is shot down or behind enemy lines, the enemy ace automatically gets the best result (i.e., a safe landing and escapes without being seen). A forced-return-to-base FRTB landing roll is not automatic but if the plane crashes the enemy ace walks away unscathed.

You do not get such a rule – your pilot follows the OTT rules! Too bad. It just might be your pilot’s time.

Game Duration: If neither pilot has been shot down or FRTB previously, the game ends after 12 turns (12 rounds with the champion). The enemy ace will dive into a cloud for whatever reason – low on fuel or out of ammo.

Victory Conditions

Start at the top and work your way down the list. The first condition that applies defines the victory or defeat.

1) The enemy ace is shot down – It’s a glorious victory, regardless of what happens to your pilot who is a hero (even if posthumously so)
    2) The enemy ace is FRTB – It’s propaganda victory, if your pilot is still flying okay (i.e., not shot down or FRTB).
    3) Both planes are FRTB or the game goes to 12 turns with both planes still flying okay – It’s a comforting victory. No big deal but at least you survived the ordeal.
    4) You are FRTB but the enemy ace is still okay – it’s a defeat but at least you’ve irked the enemy ace by denying him his next kill
    5) You are shot down – it’s defeat but you’ll go down in history as one of the enemy ace’s victims
    6) You leave the game mat for any reason other than a FRTB condition prior to game turn 12 – it’s an ignominious defeat that was observed by all the chaps in the trenches. A black for your squadron.

The Original Thread is here

And if you want to see how it's done:

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-January-1917

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ld-AAR-by-Mike

Tikkifriend (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-Tikkifriend

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-ShadowDragon

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...17-by-Vagabond

Hu Rhu (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1917-by-Hu-Rhu

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ry-1917-by-Baz

Teaticket (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1917-teaticket

Stumptonian (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...17-Stumptonian

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...917-by-malachi

~
    Last edited by flash; 12-03-2022 at 04:32.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM Mission 2 - Hunting and Hunted in the Clouds - January 12th 1917 - Vagabond

"Well young man, I have a job for you”.
    Don’t you just hate it when the CO is pleasant to you, it means you’re going to get a tricky job to do, one that might just get you killed.
    “Thank you Sir, and what might that be” you enquire carefully.
    “Well the jolly old bombers went across the lines yesterday and claim they’ve destroyed all three of their targets. Naturally HQ believes them but Wing would just like to make sure, so we’d like you to fly over each of the target sites and just confirm they’re all destroyed. This map is marked up with the coordinates and if you could be off in 30 minutes that would be nice”.
    “Yes Sir” you respond dejectedly and off you toddle.

I don’t think I’ve seen a game that uses clouds, although I’m sure there have been plenty that I’ve missed. Anyway I thought I’d try and create a scenario that uses the idea of flying through clouds, from the concept of hiding in them to escape an enemy, to the fact that it was very difficult to fly in a straight line through them and not go astray.

I’ve played this scenario through 4 times and twice I got shot down easily as well as fairly quickly and twice I achieved the objective but the game was fairly long. Please read through my ideas and if at the end of it you think I’m barking mad I’ve provided a simplified scenario that is perhaps more in line with the usual ones we carry out.

Firstly you will need 3 targets, I have 3 bridges on my mat and they’re in quite a good position but all that’s important is that they are positioned so that your pilot has to cover most of the board to spot all 3 targets and then make it home and that clouds can cover the targets as they move across the board.
    I’ve indicated positions on the diagram below but if you have obvious targets on your mats that will do the job use them, just ensure that the moving clouds are able to cover the targets when they get to them. See Cloud movement below.

To view a target you need to be within ˝ a movement stick distance from your central peg to the centre of the target and travelling at any speed. The target must be free from cloud cover, if there is a cloud over the central point of the target you can not see it and will have to come back to get a clear view.

Next you are going to need clouds, at least 6 of them but 7 or 8 will work as well. I suggest you just use A4 or Letter size white paper and cut out rough cloud shapes; make them as big as possible. I used 1 cloud that was 2xA4 (far right) and joined the 2 sheets together on the long flat side with a bit of masking tape.
    For my trial games I used 1 double sized cloud and 5 or 6 smaller ones, you could have more clouds or substitute an extra double sized one but if you use too few you will get swarmed by the enemy and too many and they can’t see you most of the time. I think 7 in total is probably about right.
    The explosion markers are obviously the targets.

This drawing is from the Entente perspective, you chaps flying for the other side will have to turn it round, sorry.
    The left edge is home, you fly from the centre of the home edge, around the board and exit anywhere off the home edge, also note - all the board is Enemy Territory.

Targets:
    There are three targets (the black dots) to check, in any sequence that seems safest, the moving clouds will provide cover for your pilot and if you are unlucky they will also cover the target as you arrive to view it.

Cloud Placement:
    To place the clouds roll 2 D8 dice, one for the North South axis and one for the East West one. These are the blue numbers on the diagram but use whatever suits you to place them randomly.

If you get 2 clouds in the same rectangle just re-roll the dice. If you decide you don’t like the placement, maybe because they’re all in one corner then change it to suit your sense of aesthetics. If you don’t have D8’s use some other random method of placement. When you place a cloud make sure it’s long side is horizontal and ensure that it can move in a line to cover a target, see later.

Enemy Plane Placement:
    There are 3 enemy planes, your choice of plane within ones available at the time. They will arrive on the North, East or South edge for the Entente and North, West or South for the Central Powers. I just used 1D8 per plane to give a position but any random method will do. Each plane arrives independently and it may be that 2 planes arrive at the same point, that’s fine, or you may want to re-roll so they all arrive at a different point, it’s up to you.
    Note the planes are on patrol and if they don’t spot an enemy because it’s hidden by cloud the AI will use position 12 o’clock and opening to create its move sequence. The idea being that the patrol will cross the board to the opposite edge and then return to their starting point, repeat this until enemy spotted.
    It would be advisable to avoid starting a plane in position 3 and another one in 4 or similarly 5 and 6 because they will collide at the beginning of the game.

Your Plane Placement:
    You are in a plane of your choosing starting from the centre of your home edge, you fly to the check the targets in any order and then exit anywhere on your home edge. I would avoid using a plane that is faster than the enemy, otherwise you will just be able to outrun them too easily.

Sequence of Play:
    Plan your move.
    Plan AI moves
    Then on the 1st phase of the movement turn, before any plane moves, you move the clouds up to 4”/100mm to the right. See below.
    Then move planes as normal.

Cloud Movement:
    Clouds move once each Turn, NOT each phase and move down wind. The wind blows from left (East) to right (West), irrespective of whose side you are flying for. Clouds move a random distance, between 1” and 4”.
    I used a D8, 1,2 =1”, 3,4 =2”, 5,6 = 3” and 7,8 = 4” to give a random movement. I did this for each cloud but you could roll 1 dice and move all the clouds the same distance if you prefer.

When the leading edge of a cloud moves off the table on the right hand side, bring it back onto the table on the left hand side in a random position.

The idea being that you use the clouds as cover to hide from the enemy but there’s a possibility that they will cover your target at a crucial moment and you will have to stooge around until you can see it. The random movement is just to make it a little more difficult to know where they will be when you plan your move.
    The 1” to 4” movement is faster than they would realistically move but creates uncertainty and the possibility of cloud covering and clearing over the target in a timely manner.

Use of Clouds:
    These are some thoughts I had on using clouds, pick and mix to suit your tastes and if you have any other ideas please share them so anyone can adopt them if desired.

No one can see into, or in a cloud.
    There is no shooting in a cloud.
    There is no shooting in the first phase of movement out of a cloud. (Out is signified by the front edge of the planes base leaving the cloud.)
    Collisions are more likely in a cloud, (any part of a base overlapping a base is a collision. Not the central peg as we play it)
    There is no Immelmann Turn in a cloud.

Movement of Planes in a Cloud:
    The diagram shows my thoughts on getting lost while flying through a cloud, the bigger the cloud and the longer you are in it, the more chance you will get lost. The dotted line simulates the variation from a straight line and the solid line is just to make it easy to calculate from the centre point of the cloud.
    Use the movement cards to determine when you exit the cloud but roll a dice to determine where you exit.

Small cloud A – Entering on long edge with a short distance to travel before exiting on the far side. A fairly tight range of exit points.
    Note the dice indicate where you exit. 1,2 top left, 3,4 top centre. 5,6 top right, using a D6.

Small cloud B – Entering on short edge with a long distance to travel before exiting on the far side. A fairly wide range of exit points, same as above but using a D8.

Large cloud C – Entering on long edge with a long distance to travel before exiting on the far side. A wide range of exit points.

Large cloud D – Entering on short edge with a very long distance to travel before exiting on the far side. A very wide range of exit points including going round in a circle.

These are just some ideas, simplified on the basis that the plane is flying in a straight line i.e. 180’ but if it is doing various banks and side slips its planned exit point will not be 180’ from where it entered. Use the movement cards to determine where it should exits and then use the above to calculate it’s deviation from that point.

The other alternative is, don’t get lost, and just use movement cards as designated. I would recommend this course of action for your pilot because you’re going to need all the help you can get, but not for the enemy.

If a plane doesn’t completely enter a cloud but keeps part of its base outside the cloud then use the movement cards as normal.

I shall use the getting lost options for the enemy but for my pilot I’ll use the movement cards as designated.

Using the AI with clouds.
    If your plane is hidden, i.e. out of sight perhaps behind a cloud and the enemy realistically doesn’t know where it might be then use 12 o’clock and opening to give the clock face to use as specified in the opening patrol criteria. However if that’s a dumb move or you think it should be something else, go with your decision.

If an enemy pilot sees your plane enter a cloud, he will assume you will fly in a straight line and therefore use the most likely exit point from the cloud to designate the clock face used to determine planned AI movement. Also once you have been spotted and the enemy has a realistic chance of knowing roughly where you might be then use that as the aiming point for the AI in the future.

Winning and Losing:
    You win if you view all 3 targets and make it home and land alive. If you don’t - you lose.

If you view all 3 targets and then get shot down in Enemy Territory you get a winning draw if you make it home on the Escape and Evasion Table.

I’d like to propose a slight amendment to the FRTB rule for this scenario only. If you have seen 2 targets and have only got to check the last one to complete the mission successfully I suggest YOU decide if you will carry on or not. It’s a risk and may lead to a medal if successful or a bawling out from Uncle either way.

OK thanks for bearing with me through all that and hopefully it’s reasonably clear but the main thing is for you to do what you think makes sense to you, adopt, exclude or amend my ideas as you wish, and as I said, any thoughts you have, please post them so that we can select the options that appeal to us as individuals.

However if you think it’s too complicated or you just don’t fancy messing about, this is the alternative.

The Simplified Version: 3 targets and 3 enemy plane’s, placement as above, don’t use clouds, you fly 2 Scouts, one is designated as the spotter and that plane has to view all 3 targets from within ˝ a ruler and make it home as above. The other plane is your wingman and his job is just to protect you.

Winning conditions as above, and using the Spotting plane only.

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sion-2-by-MIke

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Flash (Bulldog):

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-12th-Vagabond

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-January-2017

Teaticket (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...12th-teaticket

Malachi (Eagle):

~
    Last edited by flash; 03-01-2023 at 02:04.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM Mission 3 - Take These Broken Wings and Learn to Fly – 19th January 1917 - by Stumptonian

The Albatros D.III entered squadron service in December 1916, and was immediately acclaimed by German pilots for its manoeuvrability and rate of climb. However, two faults with the new aircraft were soon identified.

Like the later models of the D.II, early D.IIIs featured a Teves und Braun airfoil-shaped radiator in the center of the upper wing, where it tended to scald the pilot if punctured. From the 290th D.III onward, the radiator was offset to the right on production machines while others were soon moved to the right as a field modification. Aircraft deployed in Palestine used two wing radiators, to cope with the warmer climate.
    More seriously, the new aircraft immediately began experiencing failures of the lower wing ribs and leading edge, a defect shared with the Nieuport 17.

On January 23 1917, a Jasta 6 pilot suffered a failure of the lower right wing spar. On the following day, Manfred von Richthofen suffered a crack in the lower wing of his new D.III. On January 27, the Kogenluft (Kommandierender General der Luftstreitkräfte) issued an order grounding all D.IIIs pending resolution of the wing failure problem.

At the time, the continued wing failures were attributed to poor workmanship and materials at the Johannisthal factory. In fact, the real cause lay in the sesquiplane arrangement taken from the Nieuport. While the lower wing had sufficient strength in static tests, it was subsequently determined that the main spar was located too far aft, causing the wing to twist under aerodynamic loads. Pilots were therefore advised not to perform steep or prolonged dives in the D.III. This design flaw persisted despite attempts to rectify the problem in the D.III and succeeding D.V.

Apart from its structural deficiencies, the D.III was considered pleasant and easy to fly, if somewhat heavy on the controls. The sesquiplane arrangement offered improved climb, maneuverability, and downward visibility compared to the preceding D.II. Like most contemporary aircraft, the D.III was prone to spinning, but recovery was straightforward.

Setup
    Place two mats joined on the short edge or three mats joined on the long edge.
    If you do not have enough space use the “slide one mat off” system.

One map will be No Man’s Land and the other(s) will be one of the other Ares mats (Countryside, City, Industrial Complex) which will be considered enemy territory. If using 3 mats they will represent Entente / No Man’s Land / German territory.
    If you do not use Ares mats, just consider one half of the playing area to be No Man’s Land and the other to be Enemy Territory.

Phase One
    Entente aircraft will be comprised of 3 bombers and 2 escorting scouts

The Entente will start one ruler from the western edge, heading toward the far opposite edge of the table.
    [Note: Photo shows 1˝ rulers, which is incorrect]

The bomber objective is to exit the board at the far edge of Enemy Territory.
    Any Entente aircraft that are forced to return to base (FRTB) can exit from any edge of No Man’s Land (or Friendly territory if using 3 mats)
    A bomber that is FRTB may drop its load to enable full movement.

The German force will be comprised of 4 scouts, at least two of which should be an Albatros D.III
    If you do not have any D.III you can substitute an alternate, but for game purposes consider it to be a D.III

Maneuver Deck: J
    Damage Deck: A
    Damage Limit: 14
    Climb Rate: 4

The Germans will start at Altitude 6 on the same edge of the mat where the Entente entered and use a random selection to place them in the left, center or right sector of the starting edge.
    (see Red Numbers 1, 2, 3 in the following photo.) They can be placed as one group of four, or split into two groups.

When the Germans are within one ruler range of the enemy they must plan an Overdive to attack the Entente group.
    Target priority should be the bombers.
    No change in altitude can be played before this Overdive.
    If not using altitude you will still need to perform the Overdive procedure for the first attack.
    The Overdive sequence is Stall / Dive / Straight.

Special Scenario Rule
    Albatros D.III are subject to possible structural damage during an Overdive.
    Draw an ‘A’ damage card after the initial Dive card and then again after the following straight.
    Disregard any Special Damage except the Boom card and Rudder Damage.
    The Boom card will be considered to be 7 points for an Albatros D.III

If any numeric damage other than 0 is drawn during the Overdive procedure you must draw an ‘A’ damage card after any steep maneuver performed by this aircraft for the remainder of the scenario.

If there is zero damage during this test the aircraft may perform as normal for the remainder of the game.
    Note: Lucky Pilot or Firm Hand may not be used to negate this damage.

If an Albatros D.III that suffered structural damage is within 5 of its damage limit it is subject to FRTB-D and must exit the board from any edge.

Phase Two
    Once the Entente Bombers have exited the mat remove any German Planes that are not executing an FRTB.
    They will be considered to be following the Entente group off the table.
    The German planes will return and be placed at the edge of the mat the Entente exited from, heading back toward the opposite end.
    The rest of the scenario will be a Dog Fight.

A new Entente force, comprised of one less scout than the Germans currently have, starts at the join between the two mats, heading toward the Germans.

If none of the German aircraft suffered structural failure in Phase One they must again use the Overdive procedure for their first attack: Start them at Altitude 6 and the Entente at Altitude 4.
    Otherwise, use a random method to determine initiative and place the group with higher initiative one level higher.

Victory Conditions:

Entente Points
    Bomber exits the far edge of the mat 3
    Scout Shot Down 2
    Scout FRTB or downed by structural failure 1

German Points
    Bomber Shot Down 3
    Bomber FRTB 1
    Scout Shot Down 2
    Scout FRTB 1
    Structurally damaged D.III RTB 1

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...01-1917-by-Baz

Flash (Bulldog):

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ly-AAR-by-Mike

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-%96-Vagabond

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Hu Rhu (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...n-17-%96-Hu-Ru

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...n-1917-malachi

~
    Last edited by flash; 03-04-2023 at 03:51.

"He is wise who watches"

Mission 4 OTT EYM - Bombs and Blondes - 4th February 1917 by Baz

On 22nd December 1916, Admiral von Holtzendorff composed a memo which became a pivotal document for the resumption of unrestricted U-boat warfare in 1917. He proposed breaking Britain’s back by sinking 600,000 tons of shipping per month, expecting Britain to sue for peace within 6 months.
    On 9th January 1917 the Kaiser met with Chancellor Hollweg and military leaders at Schloss Pless to discuss measures to resolve Germany’s increasingly grim war situation. The campaign was bogged down in France and Allied divisions outnumbered the Germans. The military staff urged the Kaiser to unleash the submarine fleet on shipping travelling to Britain. On 31st January 1917 the Kaiser duly signed the order for unrestricted submarine warfare to resume effective from 1st February 1917.

On 3rd February 1917, in response to the submarine campaign, President Wilson of the USA severed all diplomatic relations with Germany, and the US congress declared war on 6th April 1917.
    The German plan was initially successful and led to food rationing in Britain and propaganda material.

Meanwhile the Americans, although not actively involved at this stage, sold Liberty Bonds to fund the Allied war effort.

In lieu of the above order from the Kaiser, construction of U-boat pens and bunkers was started to house the fleet in striking positions. One such construction started in Zeebrugge harbour in 1917, it was in the area of 80m x 10m constructed of concrete piles and a thick concrete roof.

La Dame Blanche
    Around the same time, a network of spies (many of them women), in German-occupied Belgium was formed and provided valuable information of German troop movements and construction progress, ship and U-boat movements, etc. By watching the Germans, they provided important data on daily movements of the Germans to British Intelligence in the Netherlands.

The Mission

The British wish to bomb the ongoing construction of the submarine pens at Zeebrugge to delay and frustrate the Germans.

Setup
    Two maps, countryside to the left, Coastal to the right (or equivalent). The whole area is German occupied. If necessary, the scouts need to exit the north eastern edge up to the centre join.

Mission 1
    A bomber (Short, Caudron, Handley 0/100 or a two seater if not available) has been sent to undertake this mission, however things are complicated due to the high level intensity of city defences (Archie, etc) around Zeebrugge. For this reason, the bombing must be carried out at high level (at or above altitude 5) to negate the enemy fire which will make it more difficult. The target area is indicated below. It will need to exit the W edge for safe return to base.

Mission 2
    The Belgium spy who provided this information has been compromised, and for her own safety must be extracted, a makeshift landing strip has been cleared north of the city for this purpose protected by local resistance groups. A two seater (no observer) must be used for this purpose (Sopwith 1 1/2, RE8, Fe2b, Be2c). It will need to exit the W edge for safe return.

Please use the RAP rules for bombing and landing/takeoff except where noted differently below.

For landing, the plane must be at Altitude 1 and execute Dive (centre peg must finish over landing strip for this manoeuvre or the plane will crash and is eliminated) - Straight -Stall ( if the plane finishes either the straight or stall with it’s peg off the landing strip it will take and A damage for each).
    The plane must be stationary for 1 complete turn (3 phases) for the spy to get into the plane and the resistance to swivel/turn the plane on the airstrip ready for takeoff. Double this (2 turns) if the plane landed off of the strip to allow the resistance to wheel it back on course.
    Once in place, the spy has had basic machine gun training so can fire, load and unjam the gun. However, she has never fired from a moving plane before, only on a fixed tripod, so to allow for this, all damage cards will be at -1 and unjamming will be take 5 phases rather than 3.
    Takeoff will be as per the RAP book.

Entente forces

Bomber (or relevant two-seater) starting at Altitude 5 one ruler from the SW corner. (independent unit from Bulldogs)
    Two-seater (no observer) starting at Altitude 3 behind the bomber straddling the SW corner (see diagram)
    Scout escorts x2 (Pups, Tripes, DH2, Nieuports) starting at Altitude 4 1/2 ruler to the left and right of the bomber.

Central forces

NB Kogenluft has issued an order grounding all Albatros D.III’s pending resolution of the lower wing/strut issues so none to be used.(use Alb. D.I/II, Halberstadt D.III, Fokker D.II, etc).
    Scout patrol (x3) starting at Altitude 4 in NE corner 1/2 ruler from E edge, then 1/2 ruler between each plane.
    Landing strip ( approx 25cm x 7cm) to be 1/2 ruler from centre map joint edge and middle. Target card at mouth of canal on Coastal map or 1 1/2 rulers in form E edge and 1 1/4 rulers in from N edge.

NB if playing Central forces, you will either need to control the bombing sequence and landing/takeoff for the Entente or to contrive a scenario switching forces around (use AEG G.III or Friedrichshafen bombers and relevant two seaters)

Victory Points
    Entente
    Bomber hits target. 20pts
    Near miss. 10pts
    Scout shot down 5pts
    Scout FRTB 2pts
    Spy returned to base 10pts

Central
    Bombs miss target altogether 10pts
    Bomber SD or FRTB a before dropping bombs 15pts
    Bomber SD or FRTB after dropping bombs 7pts
    Scout/2-seater shot down 5pts
    Scout/2-seater FRTB 2pts

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Baz (Eagle):

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...96-AAR-by-Mike

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-February-1917

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-1917-Vagabond

Hu Rhu (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...917-%96-Hu-Rhu

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Malachi (Eagle):

~
    Last edited by flash; 07-16-2023 at 03:08.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT EYM Mission #5 – Bulldog’s Home Run - 5 February 1917 by malachi

From The Happy Warrior: James Thomas Byford McCudden VC by Alex Revell, Aeronaut Books, 2015, p78 regarding action on 5 February 1917:

Hopefully, your mission will prove to be a bit more exciting!

Entente Forces
    Two B-firing two-seaters returning from their bombing mission.
    Suggestions: BE2c/d/e, FE2b, Farman F.40, Morane-Saulnier Type P, Nieuport 12, Voisin III. Ares has not supplied us with many options that fit the bill, but a slow speed G or Y maneuver deck (and Automatic Movement as described below) is recommended if used with other models to avoid a fruitless chase across the mat. Those who need a deck please message me and I can send a file.
    Two scouts.
    Suggestions: Airco DH.2, Martinsyde G.102 Elephant, Morane-Saulnier Type N, Nieuport 10, 11 or 16, RAF FE8.

Goal: Escort the bombers so they may safely exit the left edge of the mat. Scouts may use the same edge to exit or may remain in the fight.

Central Powers Forces
    One AA gun.
    Three scouts.
    Suggestions: Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.III.

Goal: Shoot down the Entente planes and RTB safely.

Setup

Two Ares mats adjoined on the long edge or the equivalent 54” x 39” area.
    Most of the play area is German territory except for a 1-ruler width section of the left mat that is No Man’s Land.

Entente bombers begin centrally located and 1 ruler length from the right mat edge. They are 1 ruler length apart.
    Entente scouts may start anywhere behind the bombers.

The German AA is located centrally on the mat (in the middle and on the seam if using two Ares mats).
    German scouts begin anywhere behind (left) of the centerline.

The German AA begins loaded and uses the “Solitaire Scenarios and AA Guns” rules found on p39 of RAP.

The Entente bombers are manned by roster pilots but use a variation of the “Automatic Airplane Movement” on p38-9 of RAP: seed each plane’s deck with 3 straights, 2 stalls, one 60* turn in each direction, and all sideslips (usually 4). Plan each turn by drawing 3 cards from the deck and plotting them face-down, revealing them just prior to moves (no penalties for two successive steep maneuvers). Reshuffle as needed.

Victory Points

Entente
    Bomber safely RTB: 6
    Enemy scout shot down: 5
    Enemy scout FRTB: 2
    AA destroyed: 3

Central Powers
    Bomber shot down: 6
    Enemy scout shot down: 5
    Enemy plane FRTB: 2

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-Mikeemagnus

Baz (Eagle):

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Flash (Bulldog):

Vagabond (Bulldog):

Teaticket (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1917-Teaticket

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...y-1917-malachi

~
    Last edited by flash; 08-09-2023 at 01:52.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM - Mission 6 -12 Feb 1917 - ‘Shark Among the Piranhas’ - by Teaticket

The tandem took off in the early light for its recon mission deep behind enemy lines. Well behind enemy lines a flight of enemy scouts spotted the tandem and the chase was on. Luckily for the tandem a cloud bank was ahead, not too far away. Safety was in sight. The tandem disappeared into the clouds before the scouts could engage. Knowing the enemy would linger, waiting for their exit, the tandem pilot flew deeper and deeper into the cloud. The conditions in the cloud worsened and became violent. The winds buffeted the plane in many directions, right, left, up and down. The pilot strained to his limits to keep control, barely. Finally, the pilot decided it was time to exit the cloud for safety’s sake.
    When exiting the storm cloud there were no familiar landmarks on the ground. A good thing that the compass was still in good order and a heading for home was set.

Little did the pilot and observer know they were about to fly through the enemy’s pilot training area. The flight home would not be easy if they could make it at all, but what a tale to tell if they make it home!

Forces:

Friendly-
    You fly one tandem (B/B firing) and use crew from your pool on roster that are available.
    The storm has battered your tandem and strained the engine. Luckily there is no structural damage, but you will be using the XC deck, in place of its normal deck as the engine has been badly stressed.

Enemy-
    2 scouts start between you and your way home. (see below for setup)
    2 possible reinforcing scouts are flying toward you just off board, waiting for their chance to fight.
    (There will always be 2 enemy scouts will be on the board- unless you have shot down or FRTB’d 3 or 4 of them)
    Note: Enemy scout pilots use the rookie rules.

Set up.
    Place two ARES mats connecting along the short edges.

Your tandem starts at the center of the short end of one mat.

Enemy scouts start as seen on the photos.

Looking from the tandem, roll a d6, 1-3 the closest scout starts to the right of the tandem with the distant scout on the left side. 4-6 the closest scout starts to the left of the tandem with the distant scout on the right. (photos assume roll of 4-6)
    Close scout has the rear base corner 2 rulers from the near corner. Aim it to one card in front of the tandem.
    Distant scout has the rear base corner ˝ ruler from the center line between the mats. Aim it to the far opposite corner.

Enemy special reinforcement rules

Once an enemy scout is downed or leaves the battle, on the following turn a reinforcement (if available) will appear.
    If an enemy scout is FRTB, as soon as it is out of the battle (shooting possibilities) take it off the board.
    Example: if an enemy scout is downed or FRTB on turn 4 card 2, a reinforcement is placed before plotting turn 5.

Use the amended chart below.
    2, 3, 5 & 6, - 1 ruler away.
    4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, - 1 ˝ rulers away.

Enemy scout special shooting rule.

Enemy scouts are B shooters.

Enemy planes always shoot after the tandem.

Enemy scouts are in training. Their fighting experience is zero. When they shoot at your tandem, 0 and 1 damage cards are treated as zero damage, and the special damage is ignored.
    Damage cards 2 and higher are at -1 damage. So a 2 =1, 3 = 2, with special damage applied.
    If a Boom is drawn against the tandem, draw another card. On a 0, 1, or 2 damage, the Boom is half damage. 3+ the Boom is full!

No altitude is used. Using altitude will make it too easy to get your tandem away. With only 2 enemy scouts.

If you insist on using altitude, The tandem is at altitude 4, no chits.
    Starting scouts are at the same altitude.
    At the planning phase of turn 3, roll to bring on a 3rd scout at 1 climb chit below the tandem. At the start of turn 4 roll for a 4th scout at 1 climb chit above the tandem.
    2 reinforcing scouts are available as above. Randomly determine if the scout is 1 climb chit above or below the tandem,

Victory condition:

There is only one victory condition, fly your tandem across 2 mats and off the far small edge, and home.

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...eb-1917-by-Baz

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...uot-Mike-s-AAR

Flash (bulldog):

Teaticket (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...s%92-teaticket

Stumptonian (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...92-Stumptonian

Hu Rhu (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1917%96-Hu-Rhu

Vagabond (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...%96-by-malachi

#
    Last edited by flash; 08-21-2023 at 09:18.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT EYM Mission 7 – “At Length Did Cross an Albatros …” 19 February 1917 by Stumptonian

On 27 January, 1917, the Kommandierender General der Luftstreitkräfte had issued an order grounding all Albatros D.IIIs pending resolution of the wing failure problem.

On 19 February, after Albatros introduced a reinforced lower wing, the Kogenluft rescinded the grounding order.

Happy to have the Albatros D.III back at their disposal, the pilots of Jasta 24 head off over the trenches on a routine patrol.

The Germans will have three aircraft.
    Roll 1D3: this will be the number of Albatros D.III
    The remainder will be Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.III or other aircraft of your choosing.
    *If the Germans have 3 Albatros (of either type) the Entente will have 4 aircraft to offset the dual machine guns.

Use two Ares mats – I suggest Countryside (for Friendly Territory) and No Man’s Land.
    If you do not use Ares mats use an area approximately the same size.
    Start your aircraft one half ruler in from the long edge of friendly territory heading toward No Man’s Land.

Place your formation fairly close together. Plot for the middle aircraft and have the others follow the same set of cards.
    Until the enemy has been spotted you will follow the arrows as shown in the photo:
    Move toward and into No Man’s Land and then turn to follow the enemy trench line and then back along the friendly trench line.

Each turn, after plotting, roll 2D6 to see if enemy are spotted.
    As your aircraft progress across the mat the chances of enemy aircraft arriving will increase.
    If the dice roll is equal to or greater than the number shown on the arrow in the photo enemy aircraft will arrive.

In areas with a green arrow, place an enemy plane two rulers away from your aircraft in its forward firing arc, heading toward your aircraft.
    Match up one of your planes with each enemy.
    Plot the AI’s turn.

In areas with a red arrow, place the enemy one ruler behind your aircraft.
    In this instance the enemy will receive a +1 advantage on their first shot.
    Plot the AI’s turn.

If enemy are not spotted, plot your next turn, following the arrows in the photo.
    Continue to follow the arrow pattern over No Man’s Land until the enemies are placed on the table at which point there will be a dogfight until one side is either all FRTB or shot down.
    Once the dogfight starts plot all AI as usual.

If, in any instance, placing the enemy aircraft has them off the mat, place them with the rear of their base on the mat, facing your aircraft.

Victory Points:
    Aircraft shot down: 3 points
    Aircraft FRTB: 1 point

Good luck and Happy Hunting

Baz (Eagle):

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...uary-19th-1917

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...917-Mike-s-AAR

Hu Rhu (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1917%96-Hu-Rhu

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-1917-Vagabond

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ros-by-malachi

#
    Last edited by flash; 10-16-2023 at 07:07.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM Mission 8 - Stop Them Getting Away! - February 27th 1917 - by Hu Rhu

Two salients had been formed during the Battle of the Somme in 1916 between Arras and Saint-Quentin around Baupaume in the north and Roye to the south. Operation Alberich was planned as a strategic withdrawal by the Germans to new positions on the shorter and more easily defended Hindenburg Line.

The retirement took place between 9 February and 20 March 1917, after months of preparation. The German retreat shortened the Western front by 25 miles (40 km) and provided 13 to 14 extra divisions for the German strategic reserve being assembled to defend the Aisne front against the Franco-British Nivelle Offensive, preparations for which were barely concealed. Evidence of German intentions was collected but German deception measures and intermittent air reconnaissance coupled with frequent bad flying weather over the winter, prevented the allies from discerning the true intent and position of new German defences. In late December 1916, reports from witnesses led the British and French to send air reconnaissance sorties further to the south. In reality both the British and French High Command were completely in the dark about German intentions, despite intercepting some radio traffic.

By mid-February, the new positions were nearly completed. The first intimation of a German withdrawal occurred when British patrols probing German outposts towards Serre, found them unoccupied. The British began a slow follow-up but unreadiness, the poor state of the local roads and the German advantage of falling back on prepared lines behind rear guards of machine-gunners, meant that the Germans completed an orderly withdrawal. The British failed to follow up the retreating Germans until they were ensconced in their new defensive positions.

This scenario however, propositions that someone higher up had an inkling about the withdrawal and set about preventing some of the troops retiring. A hastily assembled air contingent has been despatched to interfere with and hold up the German troop withdrawal in the Bulldogs sector.

Playing area

2 x Ares WOG Mats with the No Man’s Land mat being the Entente edge and the countryside mat being the German side.

Central Powers Ground Targets

Pick 5 ground targets, one with a B AA MG and 4 blanks. These represent German Army units withdrawing to the new line. Turn the cards over, shuffle them and lay them out face down in the area between the rearmost German trenches and half way to the German baseline. I have provided a grid centred on the middle join of the two mats but players are free to randomise these as they see fit. The cards can be laid at any attitude to the table.

When an Entente plane comes within 1 ˝ rulers of any target, turn the card over. If a MG is revealed, angle its arc to either face the Entente baseline or the centre of the playing area as appropriate. Once placed the MG cannot change its facing. Thereafter normal rules for AA MGs apply.

In addition to the AA MG, each target can fire its infantry weapons at any plane which overlaps it at Altitude 1 only. The aircraft takes an A damage card counting any special damage only, discounting any normal damage.

A ground target is destroyed by either a direct hit by bombing, a partial hit with a full bomb load or accumulating 5 damage points from MG fire or bombing. See bomb loads in the Entente aircraft section.

Entente Forces

2 x two-seater – Use any suitable aircraft such as BE2, 1 ˝ Strutter or RE8 or other appropriate machine. These are armed with a full bomb load (8 Bombs). These can be dropped in one or two loads. Players must decide which bomb load is being used when announcing their bombing run. A direct hit by either a full or half load will destroy the target as will a partial hit with a full bomb load. A partial hit with a half load will do 4 damage points.

2 x escorts – Use any suitable aircraft such as Sopwith Pup, Nieuport 17, Airco DH-2, SPAD 7 etc
    The Entente aircraft start 1 ruler in from the centre edge of the playing area laid out in line abreast with the two-seaters in the middle and flanked by the two scouts. See pic below for positions.

The Entente aim is to destroy as many ground targets as possible. (Note in my playthrough Entente aircraft must fire at ground targets as a priority over Central Powers aircraft wherever possible. Players are free to follow this rule, dice for choice of target or any other combination as they see fit).

Central Powers Air

3 x scouts – Now that the wing defect on the Albatros D.III is fixed, players can choose any available aircraft such as Alb D.III, Alb D.II, Halberstadt D.II or other suitable aircraft. They are on a defensive air patrol with the aim of preventing interference with the withdrawal. They are laid out one and a half rulers in from the centre of their baseline as shwon on the pic below.

Their aim is to shoot down the Entente aircraft in order to protect the withdrawing troops.

Altitude

Altitude rules are in play. Entente aircraft start at Altitude 2 and Central Powers aircraft start at Altitude 3. Shooting at targets one level above or below can only be done at short range and gives one damage card only.

Victory points

Entente
    Each ground target destroyed – 10 pts
    Each enemy aircraft shot down or FRTB – 5 pts

Central Powers

Each enemy aircraft shot down or FRTB – 10 pts
    Each undestroyed ground target at games end – 5 pts

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...uary-27th-1917

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Baz (Eagle):

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...17-By-Vagabond

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    Last edited by flash; 10-29-2023 at 05:05.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM - Mission 9 - "The Marshalling Yard" - March 5th 1917 - by Mikeemagnus

“With improved weather in March 1917 came wider activity indicative of the fierceness of the impending air struggle”, so wrote H A Jones in his tome “The War In The Air”. Allied ground forces were preparing for an April Offensive whilst German forces were in the midst of Operation Alberich, a strategic withdrawal to the recently prepared Hindenburg Line, between 2 and 30 miles behind their present front line. So the air forces of both sides were intent on continuing to hinder their enemy's progress. The focus of this mission will be hampering the movement of enemy troops, well behind their front lines.

Your neighbours, who fly two seater aircraft, have received notification of significantly increased activity at an enemy marshalling yard, some few miles beyond the present front line and they have been ordered to bomb it. They have only two machines available, capable of carrying the requisite bomb loads. Your scout squadron will provide the escort, but can only provide a single scout as cover. Orders also stipulate that the bombers are to return to base just as soon as all bombs have been dropped.
    Flying at altitude “6” throughout the approach to the target area and the bombing process, the two seater aircraft will attempt to evade any opposition, drop their eggs on the target and return home via the same long edge from which the mission began (easterly edge if flying for the Central Powers, westerly if flying for the Entente). The scout will commence the mission at level “8” but thereafter may fly at whatever level is appropriate to the task of protecting the two seaters. (Those players not wishing to play with altitude may start all aircraft at level 6.)
    The formation will inevitably meet opposition, in the form of three enemy scouts also at level 8, which will appear, in a group formation (your choice, where no one aircraft is further than one card length from the start line/edge), behind the two seaters. This only happens in the turn after the start of the first bombing run is apparent (bomb card laid beside the model of one or both two seaters).

Set Up: Two mats (or equivalent) laid long edges together. Both are in enemy territory. The marshalling yard, target sheet provided, is placed in the centre of the most westerly mat (easterly if flying for the Central Powers), where it joins the second mat, oriented according to the north point marked on it. (See Diags below). Print the target (Diagram 4) onto an A4 sheet but trim off the margins. If you cannot do this, try to reproduce it as closely as possible, again on a sheet of A4. The position of all the possible targets is important.

Two friendly two seater aircraft (tandems), each armed with two loads of bombs and flying at level 6, start from the western most long edge if Entente, (eastern, if Central Powers), but positioned as if they have already moved two straights and one stall from it. The starting point for these movement cards should be randomly chosen, using a D6, as weather conditions may or may not have separated them. A single friendly scout arrives simultaneously, but is at the starting edge at level 8, again randomly placed with a D6.
    The enemy aircraft will appear, again from the same edge, at the beginning of the turn following that in which the first bomb card is played, by one or both of the friendly tandems. These EA have been attracted by the “Archie” coming from one defending AA gun placed just west (east if playing CP) of the marshalling yard as shown. Choose the enemy aircraft formation yourself (see above), but again throw a D6 to decide their entry position. They arrive at level 8.
    All aircraft to be chosen from amongst those historically available at the time. Please note that, for those flying for the RFC, orders had been given, by GHQ, that new aircraft like the DH4 and Bristol F2 Fighter, were to be kept secret until the spring offensive was launched and therefore should not be used before that time.

Objectives: 1) Remaining at altitude six, until all bombs have been dropped, the two seaters will bomb the marshalling yard. Each of the targets on the target sheet is marked with a red dot. Choose carefully, as they don’t all carry the same points, but please note, the size of the red dots on the target sheet provided are not related to these scores. A score will be awarded whenever a bomb load (bomb card) hits any part of a target, not just its red dot, for the first time, but see below for possible points for a second hit. So when your bomb card has been placed, outline it carefully on the target sheet. Later, randomly select one of the targets hit, with red dot covered, and clearly mark it, with a circle or cross, to score its maximum value in points; the remaining hits will score half value from the blast. No points for hitting any target a second time, unless it was at half value first time around. In this event you may up the score to the targets full value.
    Please note that some of the targets will carry negative points. These represent civilian locations. You have no local information about the area, only that yielded by aerial reconnaissance. But you are aware that this marshalling yard is in a location shared by French civilians and that some of the buildings may be homes, shops, a hospital, a church etc., and that some will undoubtedly be barracks for enemy troops and stores for military supplies etc.

2) The friendly scout will defend the tandems at all cost.

3) Enemy aircraft and AA gun – well you know what to do AA rules as per our campaign. See below.

Bombing: A rule reminder follows but note the additional rules beneath the diagram:-

Deviation from rule book: Altitude rule: As you will be bombing from level 6 you will need to repeat stage 4 but only place a second manoeuvre card (Straight or stall) not a third, this time in front of the bomb card, before re-placing the bomb card where it strikes the ground / target.

1. Special Rule: Bomb Deviation: Players, please note, there is the possibility of deviation for the second (final) card of the bomb drop. Blame the weather. Roll a D10. On a result of 0 or 9, there is no deviation; on a roll of 8 or 7 move the card forward*; on 6 or 5 move it backwards; on 4 or 3 move it to the left and finally on 2 or 1 move it to the right.
    NB If you decide to drop both bomb loads at once, then each second stage bomb card must be thrown for separately, for possible deviation.
    *All of these “movements” are calculated as the result, in centimetres, of a roll of a single D6.

2. Special Rule: Movement rule for bombers: Until all bombs have been dropped, a stall card must be selected each turn. For both Tandems, I shall use the D6 H Chart until all bombs have been dropped. I’ll sub any card for a stall as necessary, and I shall also ensure the tandems do not go off table at all during this phase. Once all bombs have been jettisoned, I shall revert to Dave’s D8 movement chart for the Tandem used. However, feel free to use a better system if you have one.

3. Anti Aircraft Gun (From the Campaign Rules)
    When playing a solitaire scenario, use the following rules for enemy anti-aircraft guns:

Don’t place the 'shell' counter as per the multi-player rules but shoot as soon as any part of an enemy aircraft's base is within range of the gun (two rulers of distance).
    Draw an A damage card to see if the aim of the AA battery is correct.
    If there's no special damage on the card, the aim is wrong and the shot misses.
    If there's any type of special damage (including jammed guns) then a hit has been scored, ignore the result on the A card and draw a C damage card as the damage caused to the aircraft.
    Do not fire the gun as soon as it is reloaded, as per the multi-player rules. Instead, wait one phase, then shoot at any targets in range.
    (To clarify- a gun takes 3 phases (3 cards played) to reload, it can then fire on the next ie the 4th phase).
    Don’t fire at a target if any point of the targets base is within a half-ruler of distance from a friendly balloon or aircraft base.
    If more than one target could be shot at by the AA gun, choose one randomly to be shot at, unless the scenario you are playing provides a specific rule stating which aircraft are more important. (For example, two-seaters may be seen as more important for artillery to shoot at than fighters.)
    Remember to either replace the “A” damage cards, used in this process, in its’ damage deck and re shuffle, or use another deck for the AA gun.

Note: Friendly aircraft must return via their starting edge. Enemy aircraft, FRTB for example, may leave from any edge, usually the nearest.

Results:

There is no need to delay posting your AAR whilst awaiting the results of your bombing. I will post a second “target sheet” picture (lets say, as soon as I return from Canada around the second week of October; earlier if everybody prefers that). But beware, it will be a spoiler if you haven’t completed the mission by then. This second sheet will show the nature of the targets hit and will allow you to calculate the result of your bombing raid. There are a possible 230 points, for military targets, and 94 points, for civilian targets, to be scored. Points for military targets count towards a positive outcome for the mission. Points for civilian targets count against you. You may consider the raid an outstanding success if you accumulate 60 positive points and fewer than 10 negative points; a partial success if you reach 25 positive points or more and fewer than your positive score in negative points; a failure if you reach fewer than 25 positive points, especially if you also have more than 25 negatives.
    Note: There are five points to be awarded for scout aircraft either FRTB or Shot Down, 10 points if the victim is a two seater!
    A reminder about how to calculate your score:
    Having placed your bomb card, allowing for deviation, clearly mark the target sheet around the bomb card with a pencil or pen.
    Any target, or part thereof, covered by the card, will count towards your score. Randomly choose one of them (the red dot must be covered for this) and circle it. It will score full points. The rest, even if only just clipped, will suffer blast damage at half points value. If a second bomb card strikes a target and it has only suffered blast damage, it will now count as completely destroyed and be awarded full points. No points can be given to a target that has already had its’ full quota of points.

Initial set up.
    This is the setup for Entente pilots. Central Powers pilots should reverse the A4 target sheet.

The images below represent your bombing target. The image with the red dots should be printed to fit an A4 size sheet and trimmed. Alternatively, draw or otherwise reproduce the image as accurately as possible. The other image should allow you to examine the targets without the clutter of red dots.

Diagram 3 - Target marshalling yard loosely based on Douai in 1917.

Diagram 4

Victory Points
    See the original Thread below for the bombing results diagram but don't check it until you're post mission !

Good Luck and watch your six !

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...th-1917-by-Baz

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...March-5th-1917

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...96-AAR-by-Mike

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Vagabond (Bulldog):

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-1917-malachi
    Last edited by flash; 01-02-2024 at 01:59.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM - Mission #10 - 12 March, 1917 - der Feldluftschiffer in Flandern - by malachi

The enemy have recently been using a strategically well-placed balloon to enable artillery to rain hellfire on our positions. Command would very much like it to be destroyed.
    Bon chance, les pilotes!
    Viel Glück, Piloten!
    Good luck, pilots!

You will need it.

Forces
    You may fly as either attackers or defenders making the Entente or Central Powers the side of your choosing.

Attackers
    1 scout equipped with le Prieur rockets (Nieuport 16 or Halberstadt D.I, D.II, or D.III suggested)
    2 additional scouts of the period
    Goal: destroy the balloon before the end of turn 12

Defenders
    1 AA battery
    2 scouts of the period
    Goal: prevent the balloon from being destroyed

Setup

Two Ares mats joined on the long edge or the equivalent 54” x 39” area.
    The attacker’s side (left in the picture) is No Man’s Land, the defender’s side (right in the picture) is enemy territory for the attackers, friendly for the defenders, of course.

Attackers:
    Scouts may start from any position as long as the front of their base is 2 rulers’ length from the left edge.

Defenders:
    The balloon is centrally located and 1.5 rulers’ length from the right mat edge.
    The AA battery is located centrally and half a ruler in front of the balloon.
    Scouts begin anywhere behind the balloon peg.

For anyone needing a balloon, this image could also serve as an Entente version, 195 x 90mm.

Rules (from RAP)
    The scenario is designed for use without altitude rules but can be played with them if desired. The damage resistance of the AA battery if playing without altitude rules = 8.

The balloon starts at Alt 6 and takes two turns to winch down a level. At the end of turn 12 it will be on the ground. Remember to draw additional damage cards if on fire to determine outcome.

Rocket rules on p35 RAP (2014):
    To fire rockets, the airplane must perform either a straight or a stall maneuver and have the target in its front arc of fire at one ruler of distance or less.
    An Airplane may fire it's machine guns, or, rockets, but not both in the same phase.
    When firing rockets, the player can decide to use one, or, both of the counters. If a plane fires only one of its initial two rockets, it can fire the other during a later phase.
    The target is hit after the next maneuver, if all three of the following conditions occur:
    1) This next maneuver is either a stall or a straight.
    2) After this second maneuver, the same target is in the plane’s front firing cone, or, the airplane overlaps the target.
    3) The firing airplane does not draw any card with a special damage symbol because of enemy fire during these two rounds of maneuvers.

If all three conditions are met, the target takes one D damage card for each rocket counter fired. If any of the conditions are not met, the rockets missed the target and the counters are wasted.
    Exception: For condition two, if the target balloon is still in the firing arc, but an airplane completely blocks the view of the plane launching the rockets, then the blocking airplane (friend or foe) is hit instead, taking one D damage card.

The AA battery begins loaded and uses the “Solitaire Scenarios and AA Guns” rules found on p39 as well as those on p32-34.
    AA battery rules:
    3 phases to reload.
    Cannot fire across the base of the balloon.
    If the shot is within half a ruler of the balloon or a friendly, it takes a collateral C damage.
    The AA battery can fire when the balloon is at altitudes 2 - 6, not when it is at altitude 1.

If using altitude rules, the AA battery can fire at targets at altitudes 2 – 6, not at targets at altitude 1. It can be attacked from alt 2 (long range = short range) or alt 1 as normal - it cannot be attacked from Alt 3 or higher.
    If using altitude rules, players may start each plane at any alt between 3 - 6.
    Ceiling is Alt 6 with chits.

Balloon collisions (peg overlaps balloon base) = plane takes a C card, the balloon does not.

Victory Conditions:
    Balloon is destroyed = attackers win
    Balloon is not destroyed = defenders win

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...2th-March-1917

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ch-1917-by-Baz

Vagabond (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...rn-by-Vagabond

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Shadowdragon (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ern-by-malachi

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-mikeemagnus

Teaticket (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...7-by-teaticket
    Last edited by flash; 11-27-2023 at 01:39.

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM Mission 11 – White Out – 22nd March 1917 by teaticket

On the 22nd of March, an end of winter storm hit parts of the western front. With the available weather predicting capabilities at the time it came as a surprise where it hit. Planes already in the air had so scramble to get home or find a suitable place to land and ride out the storm. Those out too far had to do what they could to return to safety. The brave and daring tried their best to complete any mission they were on before returning home.

Situation:
    An enemy observation plane was out on a reconnaissance mission with its tandem escort. Just as the foul weather reached your sector you spot the pair of enemy planes crossing behind friendly lines. Your pair of scouts engage in the snow squall trying their best to thwart the determined enemy from their mission.

Forces:
    2 friendly scouts vs 2 enemy tandems that are commonly available in March of 1917

Set up:
    Left mat is a trench mat with no mans land between the trenches. Right mat your chouce.
    Set up diagram is from the German scouts view. For Entente flip the sides.

At start:
    Place the tandems near the center of the mat. Lead plane ˝ ruler from the center line, 2nd tandem ˝ ruler from front edge to lead planes back edge. 2nd plane will also be ˝ ruler off to one random side.

For your scouts, roll a d6. Place the plane you are flying at this position. Place your AI wingman + or – 1 from that location, your choice.

For the return, bring in the tandems (if there are two) staggered like the starting position. Roll for your scouts same as set up.

The enemy tandems will fly using their deck with the following cards,
    3 straight
    2 stalls
    1 left
    1 right
    1 sideslip in each direction if available
    1 climb
    1 dive

Shuffle these and pull from the top for their move each phase. Reshuffle when needed. Keep the planes on the board overriding the cards if necessary.
    If not using altitude treat the climb and dive as stall and straight.
    If using altitude treat the climb and dive cards as up and down 1 alt level each. This will simulate the tandems having trouble keeping level while getting buffeted by the storm. They will start at altitude 3. Your scouts can start at any altitude.

The tandems will attempt to fly from their starting position to off your friendly edge of the board. Off board they will take any photos of the positions they are wanting photos of. Reset your positions as marked and the tandems will re-enter the board and make for their friendly edge.

Effects of the snow storm:
    The snow squalls will make visibility come and go. At the beginning of each turn, after planning, roll a d6. (visibility will stay the same for the 3 cards of each turn)
    1-2 - the snow is light and shooting is normal.
    3-5 - the snow is particularly heavy and visibility is reduced to close range. Shooting will be treated as long range and 1 is subtracted from any damage cards.
    (If using altitude, you have to be at close range if at different altitude, so no difference in the shot as described.)
    6 - the snow is blinding and there is no shooting.

Victory Conditions:
    Victory is shooting down the photo recon plane. Unfortunately you don’t know which plane is carrying the camera equipment.
    If both of the tandems return across their friendly edge after having taken photos they win. If only one of the tandems get back to safety, roll a d6, on 1-2 it’s the photo recon plane, and they win if the plane has taken the photos.

Vagabond (Bulldog):

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...2nd-March-1917

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...te-Out-malachi

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ar-1917-by-Baz

Stumptonian (Eagle):

Teaticket (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...7-by-teaticket

?
    Last edited by flash; 12-26-2023 at 02:58. Reason: Amended

"He is wise who watches"

OTT-EYM - Mission 12 - Last Man Home - March 27th 1917 - by Flash.

This is a fairly straight forward scenario that the wordsmiths amongst you can tailor to your needs and storylines. It will involve a tandem on each side and you can each decide what mission they were on that brought them to the unenvious position they now find themselves in and how the scouts happen to be there.

An Incident on the Western Front, view of a dogfight involving five aircraft. In the upper foreground a biplane of the Royal Flying Corps flies towards a stricken German biplane, which is falling towards the ground leaving a trail of smoke in its wake (Imperial War Museum).
    By Louis Weirter

Requirement:
    Your least used pilots are in the seat for this mission, if there is a tie then select the one who hasn’t flown recently.
    This doesn’t necessarily mean they’re rookies, or, the new boys, just those we’ve not seen in action for a while.

Situation:
    A flak damaged tandem with a wounded pilot is making its way home, as luck would have it an enemy machine in a similar state is doing much the same thing through the same area that is also occupied by both friendly and enemy scouts.
    Note: The initial pilot wound will not be taken into account in the after-action report as it would be unfair on the pilot.

Mission:
    Save your tandem

Method:
    Engage and destroy all enemy aircraft

Set up:
    two mats side by side or equivalent - Trenches and Countryside, or, city mat.

Forces:
    Friendly: 1 Tandem, 3 Scouts
    Enemy: 1 Tandem, 3 scouts

Deployment:
    Scouts of both sides will be deployed randomly across the two mats; this is where they are when the tandems arrive on scene.
    Put a marker in the middle of each mat, 2.5 rulers apart. Nominate one as Odd, one as Even. Roll a die to determine which marker you are working from for each plane.
    Nominate a position on the table as 12 o’clock. Roll a D.12 to determine where on the clock the plane will deploy.
    Roll a D4 to determine how far from the marker the model will be placed, at half ruler per digit. (ie 1 = .5 ruler; 4 = 2 rulers)
    Roll a second D12 to determine the models facing using the same 12 o’clock.
    All dice can be rolled together to make things a little quicker so long as you nominate which D12 is position & which is facing.

This random placement and facing might make for some interesting games and has been used with some success with my local gaming group.
    Tandems will start in the top corners and fly to the bottom corner opposite to exit; each will have a wounded pilot caused by a C deck 6 pilot wound damage during their mission. A second pilot wound will down the aircraft.

The tandem start points are pretty clear but as you can see the scouts of both sides can end up all over the place. In this image the Odds are to the left, Evens to the right, 12 o’clock is the top of the mats. I have left rulers & dice in place to give you an idea how it works.

A close up for clarity. The Albatros Rolled even on the D6, so worked off the righthand marker. Rolled 11 on the white D12 for position on the clock, a 3 on a D4 (6 on yellow D8 used) for 1.5 rulers from the mark and finally a 3 on the purple D12 for its facing.
    The silver Nieuport, incidentally having also rolled even, rolled 2 on the white D12 for position on the clock, a 2 on a D4 (6 on yellow D8 used) for 1 rulers range from the mark and finally a 7 on the purple D12 for its facing.
    Hopefully this is clear but ask if you have questions - Gary (Hu Rhu) is also familiar with the deployment procedure.

Special Rules:
    You may use any of the OTT optional rules we have available but in addition everyone must use the wounded observer optional rule:
    If an observer is hit:
    a. You knock him down for the remainder of the turn he is hit in.
    b. He stays down the whole next turn.
    c. He returns to action at the beginning of the next turn with these penalties applied:
    ie 4 move gun jam & no shooting after steep moves.
    d. A second hit and the observer is incapacitated for the rest of the game.

This will hopefully keep the gunner’s in action for most of the game.

Tandem Pilot:
    As previously mentioned, the initial pilot wound will not be taken into account in the after-action report, however, in the game the normal rules will apply as regards to jams, no shooting on steeps, and incapacitated on a second pilot wound.

If 3 scouts feels too many to handle then by all means attempt it with a pair each side.

Good luck to you all, hope you have fun with it.

Hu Rhu (Eagle):

Mikeemagnus (Bulldog):

flash (Bulldog):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...7th-March-1917

Baz (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ch-1917-by-Baz

ShadowDragon (Bulldog):

Stumptonian )Eagle):

Vagabond (Bulldog):

Teaticket (Bulldog):

Malachi (Eagle):
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...h-1917-malachi
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2024 at 08:46.

"He is wise who watches"

Scores On The Doors

Dave (Flash): Bulldog - Played 12
    Bulldogs: 2 KIA: 0 POW; 3 Aces; 15 Victories, 8 probable's, (58 victories in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 2 KIA; 0 POW; 0 Ace; 8 Victories, 9 probable's, (37 victories in total all campaigns)

Gary (Hu Rhu): Eagle - Played 12
    Eagles: 3 KIA: 0 POW; 3 Ace; 20 Victories, 3 probable, (41 victories & 5 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Bulldogs: 6 KIA; 4 POW; 0 Aces; 8 Victories, 2 probable's, (16 victories & 6 probable's in total all campaigns)

Mike (Mikeemagnus): Bulldog - Played 12
    Bulldogs: 2 KIA: 0 POW; 5 Aces; 12 Victories, 11 probable's, (56 victories & 12 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 2 KIA; 0 POW; 0 Aces; 5 Victories, 4 probable's, (13 victories & 6 probable's in total all campaigns)

Paul (Tikkifriend): Bulldog - Played 1
    Bulldogs: 0 KIA: 0 POW; 0 Aces; 0 Victories, 0 probable's, (23 victories in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 0 KIA; 0 POW; 0 Ace; 0 Victories, 0 probable's, (10 victories in total all campaigns)

Barrie (Baz): Eagle - Played 12
    Eagles: 0 KIA: 0 POW; 4 Ace; 24 Victories, 8 probable's, (42 victories & 12 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Bulldogs: 4 KIA; 4 POW; 0 Ace; 6 Victories (inc 2 for Frau Blucher), 7 probable's, (10 victories & 12 probable's in total all campaigns)

Paul (ShadowDragon): Bulldog - Played 12
    Bulldogs: 2 KIA: 2 POW; 4 Aces; 14 Victories, 7 probable's, (71 victories & 9 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 4 KIA; 0 POW; 1 Ace; 8 Victories, 4 probable's, (25 victories & 9 probable's in total all campaigns)

Pete (Stumptonian): Eagle - Played 12
    Eagles: 1 KIA: 0 POW; 2 Ace; 17 Victories, 12 probable's, (78 victories & 28 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Bulldogs: 3 KIA; 1 POW; 0 Ace; 4 Victories, 5 probable's, (25 victories & 8 probable's in total all campaigns)

John (Vagabond): Bulldog - Played 12
    Bulldogs: 1 KIA: 1 POW; 5 Aces; 20 Victories, 3 probable's, (73 victories & 11 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 4 KIA; 1 POW; 1 Ace; 4 Victories, 2 probable's, (36 victories & 7 probable's in total all campaigns)

Peter (Teaticket): Bulldog - Played 12
    Bulldogs: 9 KIA; 0 POW; 0 Ace; 14 Victories, 6 probable's, (40 victories & 13 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Eagles: 3 KIA: 0 POW; 3 Ace; 12 Victories, 7 probable's, (66 victories & 19 probable's in total all campaigns)

Chris (Malachi): Eagle - Played 12
    Eagles: 0 KIA: 0 POW; 3 Ace; 17 Victories, 5 probable's, (35 victories & 10 probable's in total all campaigns)
    Bulldogs: 2 KIA; 4 POW; 0 Ace; 2 Victories, 2 probable's, (4 victories & 9 probable's in total all campaigns)

Well done all
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2024 at 08:52. Reason: Campaign Complete

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Mess of the OTT Edgy Young Men Campaign 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 179
    Last Post: 01-31-2024, 08:01
  2. OTT Edgy Young men (EYM) Campaign Rules.
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2022, 04:42
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-02-2022, 11:44
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-26-2020, 03:33