• 29th, 30th Sept. and 1st October

12 63.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DONCASTER 2023

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    see you Thursday night in the bar then.
    YARP!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    YARP!
    Stout fellow

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Stout fellow
    He's not that big
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Booked in and leave pass approved. Happy to run a WWII game again. Still mulling over ideas for a Sky Captain scenario as discussed with Dave M in the pub last year, will just have to see if Santa brings me a 3D printer!

I have a feeling the air racing may be over-subscribed if its run again. I'd certainly like a go!

OK, so last post on this thread was back in December 2022 and it is now already May 2023 and all is quiet on the western front, unless I'm missing a trick or two here. Which wouldn't be unusual . Does anyone know what is happening on this front - likely attendees, games going on etc?

I was waiting until Prague was done and dusted, so watch this space... well in a couple of days as I am in Edinburgh enjoying my birthday (thanks to my kids dropping a surprise on me last night)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK, so last post on this thread was back in December 2022 and it is now already May 2023 and all is quiet on the western front, unless I'm missing a trick or two here. Which wouldn't be unusual . Does anyone know what is happening on this front - likely attendees, games going on etc?
    Was wondering the same! I might have a few days free in September, wouldn't mind investing them in a good weekend of WGF at Doncaster!

Ah another Italian to join the ranks

Thursday night in the bar it is then

I am in Edinburgh enjoying my birthday
    What a wonderful town to have a birthday celebration. Love it - enjoy
    I might have a few days free in September, wouldn't mind investing them in a good weekend of WGF at Doncaster!
    Go for it Valerio. Look forward to meeting you there

I'm up for the whole weekend this time if there's space. What hotel do you recommend?

There is always space, fantastic news. There are several nearby inc. a couple of premier inns, Garden Inn Hilton to name but a few.
    There is a Campanile but I would avoid that like the plague... sort of place where people pay by the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paukenschlager View Post
    Was wondering the same! I might have a few days free in September, wouldn't mind investing them in a good weekend of WGF at Doncaster!
    Did we meet in March at Andrea Magnos Wednesday nights games?

1,2,3 of September, all welcome, would be fabulous to see you.

OK Folks this is where we are this far, program wise (I was told what the Epic Sails event was, but I have forgotten - so I await a telling off) edit. I think it is the Battle of Copenhagen

We still have a couple of gaps so anyone wanting to run a game please let me know...

Will shuffle games around to try and make sure as many people as possible get to play the games they want. As we did last year there will be a few boardgames happening on the Friday afternoon as people tend to arrive at different times, but if anyone wants to run anything on Friday, again let me know. I might switch out Eldritch Horror for Kingmaker (depending on numbers)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doncaster 2023 Programme.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	327740
    Last edited by Hedeby; 06-24-2023 at 09:38.

As a slight aside, Friday evening last year a bunch of us went over to Estabulo, a Brazilian restaurant and a great time was had by all. However the original reservation for a table for four 'grewed like Topsy' and we rocked up with about 10 people. That was no problem for them despite being busy, but if anyone fancies repeating the experience this year let us know in advance so we can give them a better idea of how many are coming.

Linkydinky

That's a good idea... all you can eat Steak and loveliness !!!
    Count me in for that.

Most of us book in at Premier Inn Doncaster Central East Valerio. There may still be rooms available there, and it is only a five minute walk from the Air Museum.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    OK Folks this is where we are this far, program wise (I was told what the Epic Sails event was, but I have forgotten - so I await a telling off) edit. I think it is the Battle of Copenhagen
    You are correct in this Chris. I think it will most likely take up two slots, but better check with Chris to make sure on this.

Rob.

Hey, great news looks like a certain Polish airman might be joining us after all !!!

That's a good idea... all you can eat Steak and loveliness !!!
    Count me in for that.
    Me too, please!

Excellent time had last year, and Luvvery grub!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Default Rebel Yells------

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    As a slight aside, Friday evening last year a bunch of us went over to Estabulo, a Brazilian restaurant and a great time was had by all. However the original reservation for a table for four 'grewed like Topsy' and we rocked up with about 10 people. That was no problem for them despite being busy, but if anyone fancies repeating the experience this year let us know in advance so we can give them a better idea of how many are coming.

Linkydinky
    Count me in for that as well Steve.

Yess, count me in in for the steak etc ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Yes please, count Yon & me in on that one.

Re Programme so far - Table 1 all day Saturday for me please. Not sure about Friday yet as not certain what time we'll arrive and shall want time to set up Table 1 for Sat. morning.

Ello Steve. Book me in for the Friday night meat fest

Can I be added to the Friday night fiesta please.

Default “The White Cliffs Raid” February 1918 – By Mike

Hello all. Here's the brief for The White Cliffs Raid - programmed for 9.30 am to 12.00, Table 1, Saturday.

Doncaster 2023 “The White Cliffs Raid” February 1918 – By Mike

Brief History
    From the outset of the First World War, a deep mine barrage across the Dover Strait from Folkestone to Cape Gris Nez, on the French coast had been in place. The Germans knew of its existence as some U-boats that were forced to dive, whilst attempting to cross it, were destroyed. The minefield worked in combination with a squadron of Royal Navy trawlers who, upon sighting a submarine, would attempt to drive it into the minefield by means of gunfire and flares. Several German navy attacks had been made against the Barrage, during the course of the war, until between 18 December 1917 and 9 February 1918, five German submarines had been sunk in the minefield, forcing larger U-boats to stop using the Straits and the smaller boats, based in Flanders, to became less active. One last time the Imperial German Naval command decided to send a Destroyer unit to attack the Royal Navy ships protecting the Barrage.

Name:	WW1Book-Adm_Bacon-Dover_Patrol-1-370-364476896.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	327906

The Mission:
    Central Powers Players – The British “Dover Patrol”, both naval vessels and aircraft, have seemingly been responsible for the sinking of a number of German U boats in the Ärmelkanal and the German Navy are planning to send a force of destroyers, into the area, to sort the problem.

In support of this plan, your mission is to conduct a bombing raid against the facilities at Dover harbour and the surrounding area, more as a diversion than anything else. Your earlier reconnaissance has identified a number of possible targets, but no firm information on any of them is available.

Entente Players – Unaware of the intended raid by the German Marine-Fliegerabteilung on Dover, you are returning from normal routine coastal patrols and heading for your various air bases at Swingate and Guston airfields and the harbour area. You are attracted by the sight of the approaching enemy aircraft and turn to intercept.

Note: This mission is for a maximum of nine players. Five Entente and four Central Powers players.

Set-up
    Aircraft:

1 x Gotha GV; 2 x Hansa-Brandenburg W29; 1 x Hansa-Brandenburg W12
    4 x Sopwith F1 Camels; 1 x Sopwith Baby

Name:	Dover Harbour Target Diagram.jpg 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	327907 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 Dover in WWI 1.jpg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	327908

All aircraft will be flown at altitude 4 throughout the mission. Bombs land as per normal game rules and since you will fly at altitude 4 you’ll need two movement cards for a bomb.
    The Gotha GV bomber carries four bomb loads; The Hansa-Brandenberg W29s carry one bomb load each. A total of six bomb loads for a possible 12 targets. Use them wisely, because the reconnaissance has not been very thorough. There are six military targets, but there are also six civilian targets. NB Crew aiming bombs cannot fire guns at the same time.

Targets: Targets will be a mix of military (MT) and civilian (CT), but each target card will only be numbered, 1 to 12 (See below).

Name:	Dover Harbour Target Diagram 3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	327909
    Dover around 1918

When bombed a direct hit (red dot covered) scores 10 points. A partial hit scores 5 points. All bombs landing off target are assumed to do no damage at all.
    Targets marked as “MT” give points to the Central Powers team. Targets marked “CT” give points to the Entente team. (The umpire will identify the targets once they have been destroyed).
    Central powers players may attempt to machine gun targets, measuring the range from peg stack to red dot on target. Points revealed by the damage cards count in the same way to one team or the other, with a maximum number of 10 points available per target, bombed or machine gunned.
    The team with the most points from the above actions will be awarded one kill per player.

In addition, individual players may claim kills for enemy aircraft shot down, one per aircraft regardless of type. Points and kills will be recorded by the umpire.

Anti Aircraft fire
    There will be two anti aircraft guns firing from the shore, one east of the castle and one on the Western Heights. The umpire will control these and no points given for their destruction or against players shot down or forced to retire by them. The rule for their engagement will be given before the mission begins. The effect of bombs hitting ant- aircraft positions will be calculated in the same way as other targets i.e Destroyed if hitting the red dot, half damaged otherwise and still able to fire back. Ships anchored in the harbour will not fire. Although by this stage in the war, such AA fire was permitted, there was a long period when the people of Dover and elsewhere suffered aerial attacks with no anti aircraft defence and no siren warnings. The government of the day, in its’ wisdom, decided that such warnings would encourage civilians in particular, to leave their “war effort” places of work to observe, and thus expose themselves to danger. So the government refused to permit the provision of civilian warnings! Seriously, this is true! Hence the possibility of civilian casualties, even in an around “Fortress Dover”.

Aircraft shot down, or forced to retire, may be replaced, using the same aircraft, once per player. The re-starting position the same as at the beginning of the mission.

The Mission will end when all aircraft on one side have been eliminated or the two and a half hours permitted for the mission are over.

One final note. The terrain over which the mission will be fought is 3D. Whilst this can be inconvenient at times, with care and patience and the occasional temporary removal of buildings like the castle, players should cope ok. Personally I like to think the visual effect is worth the effort. I hope you will agree.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 06-30-2023 at 10:23.

Mike,

That looks a tremendous endeavour. As I said before I'd like to bag a spot if one is available. Happy with either side.

I have added you to my list already Gary

Hi Steve.
    Mrs K. and I would like to join you for the Friday night extravaganza if you would please add us to your list.

Rob.

Me and Mary as well please.

Put me down for Race for glory and Spanish Civil war definatly Whats the Sky Cpt Scenario?

OK, so far Friday nights runners and riders looks like this:

Yours truly & Mrs G
    Paul & Mary
    Mike & Yon
    Rob & Eileen
    Iain
    Gary
    Chris
    Tim
    Reg
    Guus

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

Gonna need a bigger cow !

Gonna need a bigger cow !

Default Vegetarians look away now

I'm in contact with Estabulo about Friday night's Brazilian meat overload event and looking at kick-off for 7.45 pm. We are currently up to 18 carnivores; We have:

Yours truly & Mrs G
    Paul & Mary
    Mike & Yon
    Rob & Eileen
    Neil & Karen
    Chris & Manda
    Iain
    Gary
    Chris
    Tim
    Reg
    Guus

If anyone else wants to join the fray, let me know soon as you can please. I'm sure they will be able to squeeze a few more in even if you don't let me know in advance you are coming, but maybe we can convince the restaurant to have a separate 'table of shame' for the late-comers

I'm in contact with Estabulo about Friday night's Brazilian meat
    Sounds tasty.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Arjan
    Sorties Flown

Would love to join (Lex probably too).. As vegetarian I will eat the decorations :-)

Quote Originally Posted by akrimpen View Post
    Would love to join (Lex probably too).. As vegetarian I will eat the decorations :-)
    They do have an excellent salad bar, Arjan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Prague 2023
    By Dan-Sam in forum Prague Summer Con
    Replies: 213
    Last Post: 01-28-2024, 03:35
  2. Vulcan to leave Doncaster in 2023
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2022, 01:20
  3. National Doncaster
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing