Ares Games

Thread: Fan Bay Deep Shelter & the Sound Mirrors

Default Fan Bay Deep Shelter & the Sound Mirrors

Hi Chaps

No this is not about a new band!

On Saturday, as a shiny new member of the Kent Archaeology Society, I was invited to a guided tour of the Fan Bay coastal defence site that has recently been excavated and I thought you might like to see some of the photo's? The site was first used in WW1 when two 'sound mirrors' were constructed to detect and locate German Zeppelins and Gotha bombers (later Giant bombers). In WW2 it became a coastal defence site, with multiple guns of varying calibres and a deep underground shelter for the gun crews, directly in front of the 'Chain Home' radar facility. It's primary 'declared' purpose was the defence of Dover harbour and invasion protection for the coastline from Dungeness (almost) to Margate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-09-24 10.34.07.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	319465
    A copy of the original architectural drawing for the shelter (this was built in just 100 days)

Name:	2022-09-24 11.25.23.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	319466
    A copy of a painting done in 1940 at the base of the entrance stairs.

Name:	2022-09-24 11.25.26.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	319472
    The IWM have this listed as 'in the tunnels under Dover Castle' but it is quite clear when you see it in the shelter that it matches the architecture exactly.

Name:	2022-09-24 11.28.23.jpg 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	319467
    A 'Gun Trace' map showing the different calibres and their relative arcs of fire. You can see that the 15inch guns could reach the French coast and the 9 inch guns were for the anti-invasion support of the coastline

Name:	2022-09-24 11.30.14.jpg 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	319468
    Record Plan for the 3x 6inch guns

Name:	2022-09-24 12.45.48.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	319469

Name:	2022-09-24 12.45.52.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	319470

Name:	2022-09-24 12.45.56.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	319471
    The mounting for one of the two 15inch guns (Jane)

Name:	2022-09-24 10.49.27.jpg 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	319474
    The northernmost 'Sound Mirror'. Also where the deep shelter tunnels were started from. One entrance/exit from each sound mirror

Name:	EHIHO00C86Y7MDH52TY4.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	319473
    This shows how the sound mirrors were used. The 'sound cone' was directed at the mirror until the aircraft noise was the loudest an then the 'stick' would point to the location of the sound source. The operator would then read azimuth and elevation off the scales and using the two mirrors at the same time allowed for triangulation to give range and height. This particular sound mirror is the one a the above ground construction at Abbot's Cliff.

In WW2 the site also had two fixed mount 3.7inch AA guns and the Chain Home station behind had 3 40mm Bofors guns.

I hope you find this interesting and useful
    Last edited by flash; 09-26-2022 at 06:05. Reason: pic added in

Seen acoustic mirrors at Denge before, Ian, not seen these before or about the gun positions.
    This site has links to all sound mirrors in the country: http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/

(PS I slipped the spurious pic into the text where I thought it might be logical !)
    Last edited by flash; 09-26-2022 at 06:18.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Seen acoustic mirrors at Denge before, Tony, not seen these before or about the gun positions.
    This site has links to all sound mirrors in the country: http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/

(PS I slipped the spurious pic into the text where I thought it might be logical !)
    Thanks Dave

These have only been excavated recently and are only 10 miles from me. I've also joined the Kent Defense Research Group and the Kent underground Research Group. So should get to see lots more interesting stuff as we find it.

That picture thing happens when I insert one in the wrong place and then try to delete it. The text disappears but the pic just gets attached somehow.

BTW who's Ian?
    Last edited by flash; 09-26-2022 at 08:14.

Dunno what you mean... ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Very clever these sound mirrors

Another great bit of history!

Last time I saw the Denge mirrors they looked pretty at risk from erosion and subsidence. Are they still there? We couldn't visit the site in your pictures as it was at the height of foot and mouth disease

As an aside, after I visited them I wrote an article adding rules for them to Aeronef, after which Brigade Models released a set in (I think) 6mm
    Last edited by David Manley; 09-26-2022 at 20:17.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    I think I have seen these sound mirrors or others like them on a Michael Portillo television programme. We learn a lot about the UK from him and his rail journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Last time I saw the Denge mirrors they looked pretty at risk from erosion and subsidence. Are they still there? We couldn't visit the site in your pictures as it was at the height of foot and mouth disease

As an aside, after I visited them I wrote an article adding rules for them to Aeronef, after which Brigade Models released a set in (I think) 6mm
    Yes I believe that the Denge mirrors are still there and in much the same condition. Most if not all now have been taken over by the National Trust as important historical sites. Much of the site at Fan Bay is still being uncovered and no firm decisions have been made about what the final outcome will be. Stanmding in front of them on the platform at the right spot is amazing as your voice reverberates directly back to uou.

Love the thought of adding rules for them to WW1 games. Well done David

Thanks for sharing, Tony! Very cool.

Similar Missions

1. RAF Hendon, all smoke and mirrors.
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2018, 03:22
  2. Deep joy, deep deep joy
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 01:52
  3. Gimme Shelter! Sensible Dirigible Storage Solutions!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 00:54