Ares Games

Thread: Richthofen Sees The Elephant - Solo Game

Default Richthofen Sees The Elephant - Solo Game

When I was looking over the Red Baron’s list of dogfights looking to use one for my first solo game, I saw that his second victory on 23 September 1916 was over a Martinsyde G.100, aka Elephant, piloted by Sgt. Herbert Bellerby. Having played with the Martinsyde previously in my Sinai games, I was curious about how an engagement with MVR might turn out. I also wanted to use MVR’s red Fokker DR.I Triplane instead of the historical Albatros D.II. It just looks so good.

Both planes start 24 inches apart facing each other. I’m piloting the Elephant (B-firing) and the Baron (A-firing) is soloing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	319288

The Martinsyde takes the first shot & misses.

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	319289

The Baron is having trouble eluding the Elephant and takes more a few more hits. It ignores special damage.

Name:	IMG_2104.jpg 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	319290

Things get even more serious for the Triplane.

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	319291

As the planes separate, the Martinsyde’s port-side mounted Lewis gun gets off a shot but misses, getting a gun jam for its efforts.

Name:	IMG_2106.jpg 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	319292

Finally both planes square off face-to-face. The Triplane gets the worst of it.

Name:	IMG_2107.jpg 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	319293

And the Baron “sees the Elephant” as he goes down with a total of 14 points to the Martinsyde’s 2 points.

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	319294

I wasn’t sure what to expect using the solo rules but it seems the Baron never was able to get into the fight as much as I had hoped. Maybe next time I’ll try it with the Albatros D.II.
    Last edited by CrashCraig; 09-21-2022 at 00:32.

Nice game, an unusual pairing of aircraft. I enjoy using the solo app. I think it would be better if it took into account whether the flown aircraft and/or the target was a single seater or a two seater though.

Nice fight. I guess there was much celebration in the RFC mess that night. One thing I ALWAYS seem to have trouble remembering though is what damage can be awarded to the solo planes. Obviously you cannot have rudder damage given to an AI player but what about the other specials?

Awesome game! Were did you get the range ruler?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Nice fight. I guess there was much celebration in the RFC mess that night. One thing I ALWAYS seem to have trouble remembering though is what damage can be awarded to the solo planes. Obviously you cannot have rudder damage given to an AI player but what about the other specials?
    I followed the solo rules by Herkybird. In them he says that the solo plane should ignore all special damage except the boom card.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Awesome game! Were did you get the range ruler?
    Dan, I make them from strips of bass wood (1/16"X1/2"x24") from the local hobby store. I take an original WOG ruler as a template and cut the bass wood down to size to match. After painting it, I use the template ruler to mark the midpoint for short range fire. I've painted them in various national colors and use insignia decals of that country on each end as well as the midpoint. I find it helps identify who is shooting who in the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Dan, I make them from strips of bass wood (1/16"X1/2"x24") from the local hobby store. I take an original WOG ruler as a template and cut the bass wood down to size to match. After painting it, I use the template ruler to mark the midpoint for short range fire. I've painted them in various national colors and use insignia decals of that country on each end as well as the midpoint. I find it helps identify who is shooting who in the photos.
    Craig, your rulers are way cool.

Brought back memories of one of my early projects: Travelling Range Stick?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I've been reading about the elephant. Was it a 2 seater or did the pilot turn round to fire the side gun?

The pilot turned to use the gun.

The pilot turned to use the gun.
    Wow, that must have been tricky! Do you apply any restrictions to that in the game? E.g. can only fire that gun whilst flying straight?Presumably he can't fire both guns at the same time?

I followed the solo rules by Herkybird. In them he says that the solo plane should ignore all special damage except the boom card.
    We apply all special damage in OTT but you do have to be the I in AI to make that work where fire, engine & rudder damage come into play. If you had applied it in this game the Baron would have been in serious trouble earlier than his shoot down, I feel !
    Another fun outing, Craig, thanks for putting it up.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Wow, that must have been tricky! Do you apply any restrictions to that in the game? E.g. can only fire that gun whilst flying straight?Presumably he can't fire both guns at the same time?
    Dom, only one gun can fire per turn. Also if it jams and you fire the other gun before the 3 turns needed to un-jam the first one, you have to restart the unjamming process, i.e., another three turns to fix it.

A very enjoyable outing Craig and not the outcome I expected at the onset. My Elephants never perform nearly as well as yours. I think that pilot should be given Ace status.
    Well done that man!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. T&T Solo game
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-30-2020, 16:14
  2. Solo game
    By Barkmann in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-17-2015, 04:57
  3. How Most Of The Aerodrome Sees Themselves... :)
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 14:58
  4. First solo game.
    By Mitchell422 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 14:33
  5. Solo 1st Game
    By Pete in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 11:17