Ares Games

Thread: Wings like game..but with TANKS

Default Wings like game..but with TANKS

Anyone know of a board game version of World of Tanks? One player controlling one tank, so like Wings (and Sails) but with Tanks? Just think it would be pretty cool...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I think that Flames of War is closest to what you're looking for—which isn't saying much.

What a Tanker comes closer than Flames of War, I would think. Instead of your 3 movement cards you throw 6 dice which dictate what you can do that turn - Move, acquire, aim, fire, load and a 'wild card' die with which you can do any of the previous. Real pain if you've lined up a target but didn't throw a 'fire' die. I can bring my set to Donnie if you want a look at them. (Could have put on a game if we weren't running away from zombies....)
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    What a Tanker comes closer than Flames of War, I would think...
    Played it a show a while back - good fun game.

Tanks - the game that Clippers lad, Andrew, was a lead developer for is another to consider. Think They're coupled with WoT now.
    https://tanks.gf9games.com/

PS Entoyment has the WoT game in stock still
    https://entoyment.co.uk/product/worl...niatures-game/
    Last edited by flash; 09-20-2022 at 09:17.

"He is wise who watches"

If you want more of a board game experience, try Compass American Tank Ace.

Maybe I will have a chat with Andrea... seems there is a gap in the market.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Maybe I will have a chat with Andrea... seems there is a gap in the market.
    At least you don't have to faff about with altitude rules.......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The Tanks game (GF9) is a lot of fun.
    I can't think that a WoG version would really improve on it.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

as karl said gf9s TANKS is fun and can be 1 player = 1 tank. 1st time i played it i started calling it "treads of glory" lol. its not card base movement, but its back end streamlined like wog. i liked it so much a came up with ww1 rules variations. my scenario was called "creeping thunder". it was sort of a ww1 western front meets kursk tank duel. the players seemed to like it though i still need to polish some rough edges off.

gf9 revamped the game as a tabletop version of world of tanks. dont know how much its changed as i havent played the new version yet. thankfully they kept the same 1/100 scale so all the older minis are still usable.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    gf9 revamped the game as a tabletop version of world of tanks. don't know how much its changed as I haven't played the new version yet. thankfully they kept the same 1/100 scale so all the older minis are still usable.
    As I recall for the early reading (haven't played it yet), it takes away the national rules from Tanks, so your team can be any
    tanks available, much like the on-line game.
    Otherwise, no changes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

OK, actually played a game of WoTs minis yesterday.
    Then trawled a bit this morning online.
    So aside from some cosmetic changes (and having pre-assembled tanks that I would be interested in, if I didn't already have
    LOTS of tank kits to build ), the games are pretty much the same. There are a number of changes in the stats for some of the
    tanks, though one review thought it was a difference in the model of the tank (Sherman to be precise).
    They also added some special rules on the tank cards, changing somethings for the better.
    The upgrade cards conform more closely to the video game's upgrades, and taking away from the historical flavor
    of the original.
    All in all, it's made the game more cinematic/video-like, which makes sense. Still a fun game to play,
    and merging the two would not be a great effort, if current owners would want.
    Karl

For those with lots of minis from Tanks, but want the new stats, there are options.

My first hack at a WoT card:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	319453
    [Edit: The stats for this card may have come from a pre-production version. The stats on the Light Format card in Post #14 below are from the Starter Set.]

The cheaper, printer-friendly version could be with a white bacground and black type. I could make a blank (by country, or side), so players could justuse the graphic in a word processor as a bcakground, and type in their own stats.

PS: I didn't use proprietary graphics for the above, so some of the visual fluff is missing. On purpose.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-25-2022 at 17:24.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    As I recall for the early reading (haven't played it yet), it takes away the national rules from Tanks, so your team can be any
    tanks available, much like the on-line game. Otherwise, no changes. Karl

"Hmmm... Any tank, eh ?"

"He is wise who watches"

Starter Set Light Format Cards (Printer-friendly):

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Lt_Pzkw_IV_H_01.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	319457
    Note: The above Dark Format card (Post #12) must have been a pre-production version. This Light card has the same stats as the Starter Set card.

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Lt_M4A1_75mm_01.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	319456

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Lt_Cromwell_01.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	319455

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Lt_T-34_01a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	319461
    [Edit: The T-34 only has a crew of 4.]

PS: Possible Blank?

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Blk_Ger_04H.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	319462
    Players could cut&paste a tank image into the center. However, now that I've done this one, and corrected the T-34, the blanks will have to be done for all the hitpoint variations, and crew positions, as well as for each Country? Might need more blanks.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-25-2022 at 20:19.
    Mike

Have the WOT box game and at least one of every tank printed so far. Yet to play it but it looks interesting. Not real sure how it will compare to the computer game though. A 10 year vet of that with something like 45K games over the years and almost 300 tanks in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

"Hmmm... Any tank, eh ?"
    Indeed. Here's the link to the GF9 site with the tanks now released. And the older Tanks game tanks would fit in also, with
    the small changes that you see on the current releases, if you deem the appropriate.
    https://www.gf9games.com/worldoftanks/

We were joking at the game Saturday of playing it like a Girl Und Panzer episode.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Have the WOT box game and at least one of every tank printed so far. Yet to play it but it looks interesting. Not real sure how it will compare to the computer game though. A 10 year vet of that with something like 45K games over the years and almost 300 tanks in my garage.
    Probably much like any video to board/minis game would be. If you played the original and liked it, you'll like this.

Karl

Even more blank:

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_Blk_BlkHits.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	319514

Flags are available from Wikipedia (Use the 'Download' button to get a jpg file):
    Wikipedia - War Ensign of Germany (1938 -1945)
    Wikipedia - Flag of the United Kingdom
    Wikipedia.org - Flag of the United States (1912-1959) (48 Stars!)
    Wikipedia - Flag of the Soviet Union

Hit Points:

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_03H.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	319660

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_HP4.png 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	319512

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_HP5.png 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	319513

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_HP6.png 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	319516

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_HP7.png 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	319517

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_HP8.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	319518

Name:	WoT-Tank-Card_10H.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	319662

[Edit: Added in new HP options for Wave VIII and IX]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-01-2022 at 13:31.
    Mike

Ahh.. thank you!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    OK, actually played a game of WoTs minis yesterday.
    Then trawled a bit this morning online.
    So aside from some cosmetic changes (and having pre-assembled tanks that I would be interested in, if I didn't already have
    LOTS of tank kits to build ), the games are pretty much the same. There are a number of changes in the stats for some of the
    tanks, though one review thought it was a difference in the model of the tank (Sherman to be precise).
    They also added some special rules on the tank cards, changing somethings for the better.
    The upgrade cards conform more closely to the video game's upgrades, and taking away from the historical flavor
    of the original.
    All in all, it's made the game more cinematic/video-like, which makes sense. Still a fun game to play,
    and merging the two would not be a great effort, if current owners would want.
    Karl

at least they kept the streamlined simplicity. thats the important thing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    at least they kept the streamlined simplicity. thats the important thing imo.
    Very much so.
    Karl

I want old-fashioned cavalry—Steeds of Glory!

(sabers and revolvers for weapons)

If you have tank models (Tanks game?) , but not the stats for this game, check this post on BoardGameGeek:

Link> BoardGameGeek - Spreadsheet: Tank Stats, Upgrade Cards, and Damage Probability Calculator
    (Note: Wave 8 to be added)

PS: Wave VIII Stats provided below:

Sexton II - British - Long Range Fire Support
    5, 2, 0, 1, HP 3 (R, Y, G), Crew 6

Hummel - German - Long Range Fire Support
    7, 2, 0, 1, HP 4 (R, O, Y, G), Crew 6

M7 Priest - American - SPG (Long Range Fire Support)
    6, 2, 0, 1, HP 3 (R, Y, G), Crew 6

SU-76M - Russian - Tank Destroyer
    4, 2, 0, 3, HP 4 (R, O, Y, G), Crew 4

SU-122A - Russian - SPG (Included in the SU-76M Box)
    7, ?, 0, ?, HP ? (R, Y, G?), Crew ?

Wave IX Stats provided below:

Jagdtiger - Germany
    7, 2, 4, 2, HP 10 (Rx2, Ox2, Yx3, Gx3), Crew 6

Hellcat - American
    5, 3, 0, 8, HP 4 (R, O, Y, G), Crew 5

SU-85 - Russian
    5, 3, 1, 3, HP 4 (R, O, Y, G), Crew 4

Archer - British
    5, 1, 0, 2, HP 4 (R, O, Y, G), Crew 4

PPS: Added in new Hit Point Boxes to Post #18 above for players wanting to make cards for the new waves (VIII and IX).
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-01-2022 at 13:33.
    Mike

Thanks for the card layout Mike, they look great!!! I'm going to use them once I get the different Tank classes layed out!!!

Similar Missions

1. Wings of war board game computer game?
    By =Binks= in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-03-2019, 15:00
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-22-2018, 14:24
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2016, 09:11
  4. Our game of Wings...
    By Herkybird in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2015, 11:20
  5. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22