Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squadron Logo. Update.

Default Squadron Logo. Update.

As part of the original discussion on this has not transferred properly, will the chaps who put forward ideas on this please re submit their final logos here by the end of next week. we can then vote by the end of this month on the idea that we want to adopt.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mine were based on RAF squadron crests......

Thanks Dave. That currently puts you in the lead then.
    Rob.

Spot on Mr Manely can we have this in the middle of the Notts one perhaps?

I was thinking more along the lines of this Dave.

Rob.

Name:  Robin.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  4.1 KB

Very funny, that'll strike fear into the old bosch!

Well he sure scared the Sherrif and King John.
    Rob.

Robins are aggresive little buggers, you should see the one in my garden, anything smaller than it, it chases away.

maybe we should paint the underside of the fuselage red too?

Here are mine

Thanks Chris. That ensures that we will have a vote.
    Rob.

Working on the principle that we are all United in this Kingdom, and that logos should follow the KISS strategy, I put forward these (as examples) for the mess to comment on:

This design will allow for individuallity whilst still following a common ethos: All British Flights under one sky...

If any of the other flights want to pass on their symbol I will produce mock-ups for you.
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 02-08-2011 at 17:19. Reason: Additonal image added

Very nice indeed, could you do one with a golden dragon for the Avon flight?

Nice choices Gentlemen!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Excellent, just some text for the flight and they'd be damn near perfect!

Nice one Simon,

cheers,

Good stuff guys. I personally am liking the ones Dave first posted up.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Very nice indeed, could you do one with a golden dragon for the Avon flight?

A closer approximation of the Avon Dragon I think....

What we need to remember gentleman is that these are Squadron logo, not flight logo & have to represent their whole area rather than part of it. I agree with Simons principle & that we should represent that we are under one flag by use of the union flag or part of it. We also need to show we are part of the drome and where each squadron is located. Hence my design for the South of England Squadron - composes the union flag, the England flag in our case, helpfully to the 'south' of the Union flag part, and printing to show who & where we are from. I'm sure other nations & parts of the country could use the same principle with parts of their flag if they chose to but I lack the skills to create them.

Here's another version in a different font / colour (though it is lacking a flight name)

Last edited by flash; 02-09-2011 at 10:56.

"He is wise who watches"

"A closer approximation of the Avon Dragon I think...."

Very nice indeed

What a wealth of ideas we have here chaps. It is going to be very hard for us to decide. Thanks for all the hard work. Are there any more to come before we close the entry lists?
    Rob.

I have an idea but need til Monday to have time

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    I have an idea but need til Monday to have time
    No problem Tony. It looks now as if I won't even be home until Sunday, and then I'll have to catch up on a week of E-mails.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

There's not a hint of a question about what staffordshire should have. and west mids should have an anchor

daddio

Ow abowt a flat cap for the Lancashire squadron?

I have had some queries about if we can legally use Daves badges because they are officially still in use. Anyone like to comment. I will close the entries for this comp on 28th Feb at Midnight.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have had some queries about if we can legally use Daves badges because they are officially still in use.
    I would say as long as care is taken to ensure we don't copy any of the official sqn designs and any wording is clearly WoW related (let's use the font) then I don't think we should encounter too many problems.

Would the use of the royal crown be an issue ? (hate to upset the Huns who own it !) This was mentioned before in relation to heraldry etc on the previous thread.
    Maybe someone with the skills could create something on the RAF roundel as an option to the squadron badges as that seems in common usage - would also resolve the common 'British' connection.

"He is wise who watches"

I think the use of the roundel could throw up more issues than the crest as it is also used as a widely recognised logo, whereas the crest is more audience specific, as some subject matter expertise is required to recognise it's use. The main problem would be through assumed affiliation. How far outside of the WoW community is this image going to be used? If it's only our own circle, I don't think corporate lawyers or HMG are going to be to fussed.

IIRC the MOD sued Next over the use of Roundels on bed linen (!). Not sure what the outcome of that was though. If its a risk, don't use the crests. We might have to think a bit about the ones based on the RAF flag as well

Such a shame that the accountants and lawyers seem to rule the roost in MOD these days

What about all the Mods driving around on their scooters (over grown hair dryers if you ask me, they want to get a proper bike but that's for another day )? Quadraphenia? I don't recall lawsuites for those roundels.

I'm on Simon's side here, make it clear is Wings of War and roll with it.

cheers,

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    We might have to think a bit about the ones based on the RAF flag as well.
    The designs based on the ensign only become a problem if you make them up into flags/ensigns, as within the UK all flags have to be authorised through the Royal Navy. Indeed, the RAF got in the poo for using their ensign (pale blue background) on their rescue launches!

We may be able to alter them enough to escape any censure, or even ask the powers that be what is acceptable to them. Our Reg in the Sealed Knot got Lord Robartes permission to use his crest as long as we only used it for drums and colours. On our mail shots, it has to go out without the supporting beasts.
    Rob.

Gentlemen,*

I have taken the liberty of contacting the Crown Copyright Administrator at the MoD and asked them to look over the three designs which may or may not be of interest to them, namely the crest, the eagle and the ensign.

I have explained the purpose to which they may be applied:
    Online promotion
    Posters at games shows/clubs
    (possbily) T-shirts

Hopefully I should hear back from them in the next couple of days and then we can test and adjust the designs as necessary.

*I keep saying that, but if there are any aviatrix out there, my apologies,

Thanks for that Simon. You have saved your old Winco yet another job.
    Rob.

And the verdict is.....

"Dear Simon

Thank you for your e-mail. I regret to have to advise that the MOD does not permit elements of its crests or emblems to be modified or incorporated into new or different logos belonging to external parties. This is because such use could compromise or dilute our ability to protect and defend these emblems from inappropriate use. The Crown in particular is protected by statute.

Regards

Nicola Hunt
    Crown Copyright Administrator
    Defence Intellectual Property Rights"

As Captain Darling said...... "Bugger."

Right, out with crayons then!

Smegma!

Replace the crown with a flying helmet or snoopy

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post

As Captain Darling said...... "Bugger."
    Ditto,ditto,ditto.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Smegma!

Replace the crown with a flying helmet or snoopy
    Sorry Dave, but I think you will find Snoopy is also copyright. I feel like a large drink. To the bar.
    Rob.

Looks as if owing to copyright rules the only logo we can use is either Flash's or Bony's. Please submit your votes for these by PM. to me by 21st March.
    Rob.

Erm Wingo talking of spanners & works, ahem the eagle in my option is a copy of the RAF eagle, is that not also covered by the copyright ?, or (hushed voice) didnt they notice that ? Google RAf eagle and youll see what I mean

Yes. We may need to change the style of the Eagle a bit, but in principle I think it will be O.K.
    Rob.

Don't forget that the option I have created is purely an all inclusive logo for the South of England Squadron but could be used as a suggested style for the other squadrons - check my album for a couple of simple examples.
    Moreover, I am trying to suggest that if there has to be a 'national standard' rather than each Squadron doing their own thing then we should agree on the parameters to be used ie the words displayed, maybe the font, and that the union flag or part thereof should be included eg I can see a Welsh flag merged with a union flag with due respect given to the red diagonals of the Irish flag (I just can't create it yet !).
    Last edited by flash; 03-08-2011 at 12:08.

"He is wise who watches"

Getting near the 21st. Any more offerings. I have had one vote so far.
    Rob.

Wingco can I clarify something. Is this logo going to be used as a Sig block on the forum or are we looking to get, sqn t-shirts or lapel badges done ?
    Also is the voting 1 man 1 vote or an order of preference ?
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Wingco can I clarify something. Is this logo going to be used as a Sig block on the forum or are we looking to get, sqn t-shirts or lapel badges done ?
    Also is the voting 1 man 1 vote or an order of preference ?
    C
    One man one vote Chris. I was initially hoping for a badge to identify you at events, but also as a sig. Now we are on the new site, I'm not sure if the Col will go along with us cluttering up the posts after the problem we had last month?
    Rob.

ONLY ONE WEEK TO GO . Lets have your votes chaps. Make a fight of it.
    Rob.

Havn't been following this!
    Where are the badges to choose from?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Havn't been following this!
    Where are the badges to choose from?
    Don
    Right near the foot of this thread Don.
    Rob.

Rob,

I vote for the second one down in Chris' post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 11:12
  2. National: Belgian wing logo
    By Bluedevil in forum Belgian Wing
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:26
  3. British Squadrons Update. Feb.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 07:19
  4. To the Ohio Squadron : Ohio Squadron Logo/Flag/T-shirt Ideas (Part 2)
    By The Cowman in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 13:34