Ares Games

Thread: Ideas for future WGS themes?

Default Ideas for future WGS themes?

Nothing official here, just me trying to privately do some research to help Ares with "over the horizon" planning on future theme releases.

Currently we have:
    • Battle of Britain (released)
    • South Pacific (exact details within SoPac Area withheld; in development and most aircraft/squadrons already selected barring unforeseen complications)

What else would be good candidates for future theme releases? I'm thinking we're mainly looking for cases where the same groups of squadrons for both sides regularly met in battle, aside from "carrier battle" releases where doing them right would need at least 3 models from each ship.

Some candidates so far, and I'll add your suggestions to this list as you post 'em:
    • Operation Torch/North Africa Campaign (personal bias to 325th FG Checkertail Clan)
      Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
      For the allies gives the option of reusing hurricanes, wildcats and P40s. Though Ideally you would want a Tomahawk sculpt as well as a Kitty hawk. 112 Sqn RAF would be essential. A Tomahawk sculpt could also be released in Pearl Harbor and AVG colors to tie in nicely with the intended PTO releases.
      A Spit V (trop) sculpt would also be good and can't be too hard if I or IX tooling can be adapted. Works again both for North Africa and PTO defence of Australia.
      On the axis side the 109E and D520 (Vichy) could be used. B25 and Ju88s could also feature. There are already a number of previous releases from this theater for both WOW and WGS.
      (via Carl_Brisgamer) RAF 92 Sq. Spitfire Vb/Trop, JG27 Bf109F-4/Trop, RAF 112 Sq P-40E, RAI 84a Sq C202 Folgore
    • Pearl Harbor
    • Coral Sea
    • various Tactical Air Forces in the Western ETO supporting ground offensives
      (via Carl_Brisgamer) Op. Overlord: RAF 609 Sq Typhoon IB, USAAF 78th FG P-47D bubbletop, JG26 Fw190A, SchlG 4 Fw190F
    • American Volunteer Group in the CBI
    • Eastern Front - Kursk
      Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
      (originally from Carl_Brisgamer) JG54 Fw190A, StG2 Ju87G Kanonenvogel, 5 GIAP La-5F, 617 ShAP Il-2M
    • ETO Strategic Bombing Campaign
      (via Carl_Brisgamer) 357th FG P-51B bubble, JG1 Bf109G

More good ideas from Carl_Brisgamer h/t Monse https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...d-Set-Concepts
    My recommendation to Ares on carrier battles would be that we make each ship's actions a different "sub-game" to be fought on its own table, then after the actions with all ships are resolved a final "resolution phase" determining which ships are left to come back to, who gets a deck to land on and who has to look for a friendly ship to ditch next to. If possible, when making your suggestions please list squadrons and aircraft for each side, and Ares has a strong preference for actions where we can reuse existing (including the Dust Games retools of the transport losses) sculpts as a springboard.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-21-2022 at 13:48.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Torch/North Africa
    For the allies gives the option of reusing hurricanes, wildcats and P40s. Though Ideally you would want a Tomahawk sculpt as well as a Kitty hawk. 112 Sqn RAF would be essential. A Tomahawk sculpt could also be released in Pearl Harbor and AVG colors to tie in nicely with the intended PTO releases.
    A Spit V (trop) sculpt would also be good and can't be too hard if I or IX tooling can be adapted. Works again both for North Africa and PTO defence of Australia.
    On the axis side the 109E (JG27) and D520 (Vichy) could be used. B25 and Ju88s could also feature. There are already a number of previous releases from this theater for both WOW and WGS.
    Last edited by Woof; 09-18-2022 at 14:28.

an eastern front set would be good. as would a CBI one. and i think a spanish civil war one would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    an eastern front set would be good.
    Russian planes are long awaited.
    Carl_Brisgamer suggested Boxed set concepts that could be a good sources for future releases, in this thread :
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...d-Set-Concepts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9532C38B-105F-40E8-8386-7404ABFA18AB.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	319295

Name:	61E2DB90-0A57-4E37-8C7E-28B0EBE5C0E7.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	319296

Marine Fighter Squadron 214 (VMF-214) would require new sculpts, of course, but would sell like hot cakes.

Name:	225px-VMA214-Blacksheep.svg.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	319297

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    an eastern front set would be good. as would a CBI one. and i think a spanish civil war one would be interesting.
    I worked on some rules for SCW (actually, just did aircraft stat research); the problem is a lot of the planes would be too slow for WGS
    and too fast for WGF.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I worked on some rules for SCW (actually, just did aircraft stat research); the problem is a lot of the planes would be too slow for WGS
    and too fast for WGF.
    Karl
    Karl, I came to the same conclusion and was considering producing manoeuvre decks in a different scale for SCW. There again, SCW would be too niche for Ares.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Marine Fighter Squadron 214 (VMF-214) would require new sculpts, of course, but would sell like hot cakes.

Name:	225px-VMA214-Blacksheep.svg.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	319297
    The Black Sheep are already confirmed--more about this *after* the set is officially announced.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

My personal favourite would be Operation Overlord, but I have a soft spot for Typhoons.
    Eastern Front...well, I would say "Hell, yes!" a year ago, but I don't want to see any red stars now.

Anyway, I would buy anything. Yes, I'm still in trouble with this game even after all those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    The Black Sheep are already confirmed--more about this *after* the set is officially announced.
    That's good to hear - we will wait patiently...

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Eastern Front...well, I would say "Hell, yes!" a year ago, but I don't want to see any red stars now.
    I wouldn't expect anything Eastern Front for a while, closest thin I can see would be MAYBE Tidal Wave.

All of the ideas that Carl proposed are great.
    Ares should have hired him.

Overlord would definitely sell well methinks.

P.S. What happened to Carl? He disappeared from the radar in 2020 when COVID hit

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    All of the ideas that Carl proposed are great.
    Ares should have hired him.

Overlord would definitely sell well methinks.

P.S. What happened to Carl? He disappeared from the radar in 2020 when COVID hit
    Good question. So did much of our Aussie contingent...

I wouldn't expect anything Eastern Front for a while, closest thin I can see would be MAYBE Tidal Wave.
    Well, an interesting intel even with MAYBE stamp in the file. Definitely one of the most memorable bombing missions of all time, right next to Dumbusters

Well, an interesting intel even with MAYBE stamp in the file. Definitely one of the most memorable bombing missions of all time, right next to Dumbusters
    Again, nothing official, the subject hasn't even come up and there's been no discussion that I've been privy to of anything beyond the release in development. (Even if there were I couldn't say anything.) "Don't hold your breath on Ostfront" is just simple logic based on current geopolitics. This is just me trying to get the community's heads together and try to come up with some ideas they can put on the shelf to have ready for fast-tracking development on WGS's next turn. Last I saw, if memory serves the planned South Pacific slate is about 2/3 of my original proposal... and I'm still trying to lean on them for the Longterm Roadmap to only do carrier-plane squadron packs as "complete ship-sets" with fighter, dive and torpedo bomber as appropriate all dropping for the same ship at the same time.

Problem with Squadron Packs is it means we lose unique birds like Fuchida's Kate and Egusa's Val for Pearl Harbor...

Well,
    Nothing official here
    was you very first sentence in this thread and I suppose it is absolutely clear.

Well, was you very first sentence in this thread and I suppose it is absolutely clear.
    Just wanna make sure everybody, including Ares, keeps that in mind, amigo. It can be a challenge serving two masters and keeping things properly compartmented; I just really wish they could recognize the collective body of expertise available here and tap into it more. As the saying goes, "many hands make for light work."

Tell ya this, though, with not a moment's hesitation about it... if what I last saw from them for the next release is still the plan, some Seriously Cool Stuff coming. Torpedo rules while I haven't had a chance to put 'em to playtest look interesting, and I'm already trying to think on ways to adapt then to ship-on-ship for Tokyo Express or other combined air-sea battle scenarios.

and too fast for WGF.
    Karl
    What would be the way to go? Arrow-only method for slow planes or a completely new mechanism?

Problem with Squadron Packs is it means we lose unique birds like Fuchida's Kate and Egusa's Val for Pearl Harbor...
    Whilst the squadron packs are nice, I miss the variation in the older releases. I like having some variation on the table to tell planes apart and there are some unique and unusual schemes out there. When painting 3rd party models for WGS I deliberately try for such variation where possible. After all, the colourful aesthetic is one of the selling points of WGF, so why not WGS too!

The Black Sheep Corsairs will certainly be a hit, however I think much could also be achieved by releasing some overall gloss dark sea blue ones with a suitable variety of white shapes and stripes to cover various squadrons. Ideally you could also include roundels for BPF as well as stars and bars as options.

Whilst Blood Red Skies is not comparable in that models are entirely unfinished the approach of Sqn packs and individual ace packs might be a good way to go. Say 2-3 planes in a Sqn pack with same colour scheme then 4-6 decal options for individual aircraft. Aces would come fully finished and include relevant skill cards and potentially scenarios based on actual combat actions of those pilots.

Tried to sell 'em on that idea. They didn't buy it.

and too fast for WGF.
    Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    What would be the way to go? Arrow-only method for slow planes or a completely new mechanism?
    To be honest, I lost track of the project; personal life took a nose dive, and other things got in the way.

As an answer, I'm not sure. My first thought was to collect the flight data, and then try and assign a WGS deck that seemed
    to fit, noting the change in scale (i.e., the speed of the arrows). But that would (potentially) need a change in the
    shooting stick. Or not.
    The one problem I found is that a number of planes used fall in the donut hole between what the decks can do, and what
    the arrow-only method can do. It's not a big gap, but there are very few decks on the edges of that gap.
    I can re-look at things, and concentrate on the most used planes.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

and too fast for WGF.
    Karl

huhh. guess theyd have to have a scale all their own. didnt think the disparity would be that much.

Not wanting to thread-hijack this; I'll start a SCW thread this weekend, after some research.
    Karl

Look up the old "Last Biplanes" and "Revolution in the Skies" boosters from the card game. Those might give some boundaries.

Similar Missions

1. WGF/WGS - The Future
    By strontiumdog in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 08-22-2018, 19:30
  2. The Future of future and past re-prints
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2017, 15:12
  3. Future of A-10
    By Dan-Sam in forum PW2: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8