Ares Games

Thread: Gotha W.D.11

Default Gotha W.D.11

Hello,

I would like to kindly ask, if anyone has Gotha W.D.11 card? I would like to paint this one, but I was not able to find the card anywhere, only stats on wings of linen. Thanks and take care.

I emailed this card to you on July 3rd, 2022. Try looking in your spam folder or trash folder.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I emailed this card to you on July 3rd, 2022. Try looking in your spam folder or trash folder.
    Hello, yes you are right. Sorry for that I did not notice, that this card was part of the mail. Thank you very much. You saved my "navy force" day.

Hmmm... I started work on a card for this plane, but only got as far as...

Name:  Gotha_WD11_Work.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  56.5 KB

Perhaps I need to revisit this, when someone posts another paint job?

And stats from this site: Wings of Linen Wiki - Gotha W.D.11
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I wonder where Daryl got his stats since there weren't any when I created my card.

If I had a colour scheme and unit, I could do up a card...

Name:  Gotha_WD11_Work_CDL.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  37.4 KB
    Mike

I'm looking for historical Hex camo schemes, but can't find any specific one for Gotha float planes.

I found this, but think it is either Aviatik or Hansa-Brandenburg

Name:  0e3e3d4ce280e378d17aa5d14f4bdbcf.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  18.0 KB

Anyway, this is an option for the WE 11:

Name:  Gotha_WD11_BlueHex.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  48.4 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-07-2022 at 19:30.
    Mike

How about this?

Name:  WGF_Gotha-WD11_HvyBomb_Card.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  121.4 KB
    Mike

Not sure this is needed, but...

Name:  WGF_Gotha-WD11_HvyBomb_MgmntCard.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  123.7 KB

Crew can't move in flight, so there may not be any way to shift positions. Anyone got info on this?
    Mike

Name:  WGF_Gotha-WD11_HvyBombAutumn_Card.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  WGF_Gotha-WD11_HvyBombAutumn_MgmntCard.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  118.0 KB
    Mike

'Crew can't move in flight, so there may not be any way to shift positions. Anyone got info on this?'

"All WD11 torpedo bombers were flown by a two-man crew, and the observer in the front cockpit had a flexible Parabellum LMG 14 machine gun."
    - Gotha Aircraft of WWI, Jack Herris, Aeronaut Books, 2013

However, some pics clearly show the rear MG so perhaps the observer/torpedoman chose their seat based on the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    'Crew can't move in flight, so there may not be any way to shift positions. Anyone got info on this?'

"All WD11 torpedo bombers were flown by a two-man crew, and the observer in the front cockpit had a flexible Parabellum LMG 14 machine gun."

However, some pics clearly show the rear MG so perhaps the observer/torpedoman chose their seat based on the mission.
    Or Jack Herris is incorrect about the number of crewmen.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post

I had noticed the references said a crew of two, but the drawings I found had three crew positions. So, if the plane only flew with two crew, a "wounded crew" token could be placed on the 'unmanned' position to indicate that position can't shoot.

PS: There is a position behind the wings in some photos. I'm going to suggest a few options, being I don't have any references to base this on (written or photographic).

1. Originally designed as a torpedo bomber, I am assuming the WD.11 had a maintenance/loading hatch aft of the wings. This would allow a winch/mechanism to upload the considerable weight of a torpedo. It was not used when carrying a torpedo, or only occassionally a rear gunner rather than a forward gunner. Not likely, if the forward gunner was the bombadier/torpedo-ier.

2. Torpedos were very heavy. Much heavier than bombs, and all one piece. So, as was done on the Caproni Ca.3, a crew member was removed to allow the carrying of an anti-ship torpedo (actually the Caproni Ca.450 version). I'd suggest that only one gun position was occupied when carrying a torpedo. See #1 above. However, I have read that the torpedos were dangerous and that WD.11 converted to anti-ship bombing shortly after being introduced. Lighter bomb loads or configurations could allow for a third crew member on some missions.

So, it would be up to the scenario creator to decide what load and crew would be used. I would suggest that in torpedo scenarios the rear gunner wouldn't be used.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-08-2022 at 08:45.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I wonder where Daryl got his stats since there weren't any when I created my card.
    For anything marked "Preliminary Stats" on Wings of Linen, I used the "Tools for Working out Stats" pdf document from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    How about this?

Name:  WGF_Gotha-WD11_HvyBomb_Card.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  121.4 KB

There are a few threads where Caproni torpedo bombers were mentioned.

This one: Caproni Ca.3 Paint Schemes - Post #23

There were a few just about torpedos in WWI, and the weight of 750 lbs was bandied about. An anti-shipping bomb load could be a lot less than that, enough to put a man, an MG, and associated ammunition on board, with a bomb load.
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Go fer the Gotha
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2018, 17:29
  2. Get the Gotha
    By Baxter in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2018, 21:34
  3. Which Gotha G.V
    By Ken at Sunrise in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 04:42
  4. Gotha G. V (Von Korff) & Gotha G. V (Aschoff) Available at Coolstuff!
    By FarEast in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 16:23