Ares Games

Thread: G'day all!

Default G'day all!

Hi there,

I don't own any elements of this game (yet!). I've reached out to one of the Aussie online stores who are waiting on some starter kit backorders, and then hopefully I will be one of you
    I'm in the ACT currently, but will be moving back to Adelaide at the end of the year. My preference is WW2, but I'll probably also buy some WW1 planes to play with the cool group in Radelaide (from reading the Adelaide thread - if they'll have me!) that seem to prefer that period.

Can't wait!
    Bucky

Welcome to the game and this group. Both versions are fun, so you can't go wrong.

Welcome to you from here in Dear old Blighty Bucky.
    I'm sure some of your fellow pilots can point you in the direction of some more suppliers.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ello Sean. Dive in n enjoy yerself from Hertfordshire

Hello Sean and welcome to our forums. As far as starting your hobby I think that these might help.

https://rivalsky.com.au/product-cate...-starter-sets- for the WWI rules and accessories pack but there are no planes with it.

or https://www.milsims.com.au/wings-of-...pods-triplanes is a better option as it has a tripod and a nieuport miniature plus all you need to start playing.

Both websites have other planes available.

That takes care of WWI but I would also suggest you flick Zoe Brain a PM. She is Wings Top Brass, lives in Canberra and has coordinated and put on games at the CanCon events there for years. She might be able to help you source WWII stuff.

Looking forward to meeting you at the end of the year.

Welcome to the aerodrome Sean. As Dave said, you can't go wrong with either WWI or WW2 if you are flying Wings.

G'day backatchya from a Brit/Canajan ex-pat now residing in Oregon.

You've found a great landing spot.

Let's hope your wallet is up to the task ...

Greetings! Both WWI and WWII are fun. I prefer the WWI, but that is just my preference.

Welcome Bucky/Sean to the Forum from here in Adelaide.
    As you rightly noticed, we mostly play WWI. However we do also play WWII and T&T from time to time.
    If you want to watch your budget, buy the WWII planes you like. If you join us in the new year two of our group have plenty of WWI planes which we usually use. Mine often stay in the box for weeks unless I'm creating the scenario.
    Stay safe.

G’day Sean. I’m part of the Baxter/Windy Jack/Mark group and occasionally I throw in some of these fun scenarios:

Tripods & Triplanes
    King Kong
    Hunt the Zeppelin
    Santa/Snoopy shootdown

We all live out in the northern suburbs.

Hi Sean, welcome from England.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Hi all, thanks very much for the incredibly warm welcome!

Dave, Rob & Iain - Thanks gents for the welcome. It's a pleasure to (virtually) meet you all!
    Gary - Thanks mate. I'll reach out to Zoe. I don't think I'll get into the tripods stuff, but I was thinking of grabbing that ww1 rules set. I wasn't sure on the forum rules so didn't want to mention company names, but I've already reached out to Evan at rivalsky, and he's got a starter set for WWII coming soon, so if I hold out, I can get the set I'd really like. Do I need seperate rules for WGS vs WGF? (look at me already learning the lingo! )
    Peter - Thanks mate, can't wait to get started!
    Pete - Cheers bud! I also hope my lovely spouse remains on the positive side of this endeavour!
    Dan - Thanks for your thoughts mate. I'm hoping to play both, I just have a real fondness for WWII aircraft. Nothing to do with the game. I've already bought the WWI Android game to give it a spin
    Doug - Thank you Sir. That's good advice.
    Wayne - Thanks mate, look forward to some of those scenarios! My previous time there, I was out near Gawler, in Evanston Gardens. This time around we're currently looking at Walkely Heights I believe.
    Steve - Thank you my friend. Hope the weather is nice over there!

Cheers again all, very awesome community you all have here!

Default Welcome

Hi Sean and welcome to the 'Drome' from way, way over the seas here in England. I hope you are successful in finding aircraft, both WW1 and 2, at sensible prices. When you do, remember to FLY SAFE and always watch your six.

G'day Reg, thanks mate!

Welcome from Kentucky, Bucky
    Both wgs and wgf are lots of fun. Enjoy your flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky
    Do I need seperate rules for WGS vs WGF?
    Indeed, while the two system share a common concept, and there's a lot of commonality in the execution of the rules sets, they are not compatible. "The Devil's in the Details." Likewise, T & T has a bit of different rules; mainly as I understand it, these cover operations of the Martians.
    If you're mainly interested in WGS, I would stick with getting a RAP (Rules and Accessories Pack) for WW I, and hold off on WGF minis (unless you can find some for a *really* nice deal: peruse the Sale/Wanted/Trade, people occasionally offer their duplicates there. Concentrate on the WW II rules & minis you want, and can find- *if* you can find a Dawn of War Deluxe set somewhere for a reasonable price, go for it, or a Battle of Britain set (somewhat more likely), that's a great route.
    And be sure to check out the files section for scads of add-ons, like "unofficial" aircraft, house rules, scenarios, etc.
    Finally, (welcoming head bobs) from the lizard here in the 'States.

Welcome to the 'drome Sean from sunny Dorset in the south west of good ol' Blighty. You'll find some good wingmen in Adelaide I'm sure, and Evan at Rival Sky is one of ours - he's Xen on the forum and has helped many of us with obtaining models over the years, so he'll see you right if he can, as will Zoe if able, she's not been well of late.

"He is wise who watches"

Welcome aboard Sean.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Default impeccable timing

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Hi there,

I don't own any elements of this game (yet!). I've reached out to one of the Aussie online stores who are waiting on some starter kit backorders, and then hopefully I will be one of you
    I'm in the ACT currently, but will be moving back to Adelaide at the end of the year.
    I've just taken delivery of a serious amount of 2nd hand WGF aircraft, if you are interested. Mostly unobtainium OOP Wings of War.

Please let me know if you are interested in the pricey stuff. All selling at original cost, but for balloons and stackens you won't get much change out of $100 each.

Thanks very much all, greatly appreciate the comments and warm welcome!

Zoe - I think I'll hold off thanks mate. I don't have the funds to go crazy, and would rather focus on WGS to get started. Very much appreciate the offer though.

Hi again Sean

If funds are tight then you can play with cards instead of Miniatures. Some of our forum friends still do that. You can use the mates files from our files section for movement cards.

+1 for cards! I have plenty of good games with cards only. Easier to transport as well ��

Belated Welcome to the 'Drome, Sean.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

welcome to the drome Sean !!!