Ares Games

Thread: Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...

Default Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...

Yep... it's another one of those weird, ironic, and wordy stories from The Cowman... NO WAIT... DON'T LEAVE YET! I swear this one has a happy and amusing ending...

First, let me show you a map:

In the lower right is Baltimore, Ohio... I live there. In the upper left is the location of the GAMA offices, near the Columbus Convention center in Columbus, Ohio.

As many of you may know, today was the day I had my appointment with GAMA to turn in the roster for the newly formed Buckeye Gamers In Flight, and to discuss and apply for all of the events that a few of us here have been working hard on and plan to run at Origins 2011 this summer.

What you also need to know is that Central Ohio has been under a Winter Weather Advisory for Tuesday and Wednesday, due to the Rain/Sleet/Ice Storm that rolled through our area this week. Parts of Ohio and Columbus got one to two inches of solid ice Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

So my sister stops by Wednesday morning to pick me up, and we load my power-chair into her van and head to Columbus. The weather in Baltimore is actually not bad at all... the ice is mostly gone, it is windy, and there are some light snow drifts blowing across the roads in places, hampering visibility some. GAMA is about 32 miles from my house, and the trip takes us about an hour, as she was driving very cautiously, as was prudent, for the conditions. We arrive safely in Columbus ( HAH!! You thought this story was going to be about some horrific car accident!!! NOPE! )

We pull into the parking garage next to the Convention Center and prepare to get the ticket to enter. As my sister rolls down her window we here this very loud an annoying alarm noise! BRAAAP BRAAAP BRAAAP!! The lady in the booth opens her window, looks at my sister and says "I am sorry, but your van is too tall for this garage!", which was why the alarm was sounding! I am thinking "Whew, that could have been rather nasty!" ( My sister has a conversion van, and it would have sheared the top right off!)

SO... we back out and head for a second garage, about four blocks away. We pull in, find a space, unload the power-chair, gather up my 5 year old nephew, and head for the street. As we get outside we immediately notice an enclosed walkway above us, and the fact that it is about 20 degrees colder Downtown than it was in Baltimore. We choose wisely, and take the Elevator up to the walkway.

These walkways interconnect among the three huge Nationwide Insurance Buildings, The Convention Center, The Hyatt and Crown Plaza Hotels, and the parking garages in the area. Very convenient for Nationwide employees, and convention visitors. We start navigating the maze of walkways and buildings, following the signs to the Nationwide Building where the GAMA Offices are located. We reach a point near there, and split up. My sister takes Kristopher to "see the tall buildings downtown" (This was his first time and he was very excited... it was cute! He at one point said "This is just like Gotham City!!")

I headed on through the confusing maze to my destination, having to stop more than once to locate an elevator, as wheelchairs and escalators do not mix well... I finally get to 280 Nationwide Plaza. I exit the walkway onto the second floor of the building. Now... I am here to meet a young lady by the name of Angela Ward, who had told me that the GAMA offices were on the third floor, directly across from Rogers Café. I look to my right and I see Rogers Café... I am on the second floor... I am confused... I look to my left... no GAMA Offices... hmmmmmm. No biggie... SO I head to the nearby Security and Welcome station and find the touchscreen directory (there was no guard on duty). The touchscreen directory does not work... sigh....

OK so I am becoming slightly tense... but I hold it together. I head to the elevators, and press the up button. The elevator door to my right opens and I roll in. The doors close and I hit the button for the third floor...

It lights up... and then goes out.... the elevator does not move... So I press it again...

It lights up... and then goes out... again...

It lights up... and then goes out... again... nothing.

Sigh.... so I press the open doors button... nothing happens...

Now at this point it might be pertinent to mention that I am slightly claustrophobic when faced with a situation where I am trapped in a small area.... so am getting a little nervous and I look for a phone to call security or maintenance.... no phone... double sigh... and I am starting to get a tension headache at this point.

I am just getting ready to mash down the alarm button, when the Elevator lurches, and starts to move, accelerating upward. Quickly. Very Quickly! Now my blood pressure and heart rate start to go up along with the Elevator...

OK so here is my current frame of mind: I am in a power wheelchair. I am a little scruffy looking, having a goatee and long hair in back tied in a neat pony tail. I am wearing a bulky Camouflage Army Field Jacket, and my legs are covered with a black blanket. I am also wearing a black stocking cap to keep my balding head warm. SO basically I am a bit suspicious looking.

Oh... did I mention that last summer Nationwide had a couple of bomb threats that cleared out their buildings and forced them to ramp up security??? So I am thinking that when this Elevator stops at the top floor (17) the doors are going to open and I am going to be faced with a security detail in riot gear and armed with automatic weapons... (We live in scary times... and lets face it, I have a vivid imagination at times.) I figured I would be shorting out my power wheelchair at that time. (Use your imagination folks.) So when the door does open, and of course there is nobody there, I immediately slam the joystick on my chair forward and get the heck out of the possessed Elevator.

So now I am on Floor 17, and I turn and see a very pleasant looking security lady smiling at me. She laughs and says "So you got onto the freight Elevator by accident and could not get out huh?" I turn beet red. She tell me that the Security guard in the lobby is supposed to keep that from happening and that she is going to have to give him a call. I thank her and head for a different Elevator and make my way to the Third Floor.

Elevator heads down. Elevator Stops. I roll out... No GAMA... no Cafe... grrrrrr. I stop a passerby and ask him nicely for directions to the GAMA offices. He has no idea. So I think "It has to be on the second floor and Angela just misspoke or I heard her wrong... and so I head for the second floor.

I finally find the GAMA offices, tucked in a little nook, around the corner from where I first came into the building. I roll up to the door and reach to open it. It dos not budge. The office is pitch black through the glass doors. My heart drops into my toes. (Which are really starting to hurt, due to the fact that I was an idiot and forgot to take my meds earlier in my excitement to get to the appointment.) So now, after all that, I am at a loss.

After thinking for a minute I reach for my cell phone. Right then, a security guard walk up and asks if he can assist me. I explain my situation to him... he says "You were the one stuck in the freight elevator, right?" I turn beet red again. I admit to my folly and tell him that I am trying to think of someone to call to find out if the GAMA folks are going to come in or if the weather has kept them away for the day. He tells me that he is going to ask the receptionist if she can contact someone to help me out and leaves as I thank him.

I finally come up with the idea of emailing an employee of GAMA whom I know works remotely from the Akron, Ohio area. I figure if he get the email quickly he will call me and I can get some advice on who to call. I send the email and then roll over to the Security Station to wait. The Guard (who is now there) and I have a little chat about my story and laugh a bit... and then I roll into Rogers Café for some decaf. (My nerves certainly did not need stimulating at this point.) As I am pouring myself a cup, my cell phone rings, startling me and causing me to pour hot coffee on my hand and arm. At this point I am ready for a sedative and a nap. I answer, noticing that the area code of the incoming call is not from Akron , but is instead from somewhere local. Roger Ward introduces himself to me and apologizes for all the trouble. Roger is the director of GAMA and it seems his wife Angela forgot about our appointment, and when he had stepped out to go into the office he took one look at the Ice and wind and said "Nope, we are staying home today." I commented that he must live on the North side of Columbus where they were hit way worse than in my area. He replies, saying that he actually lives in Pickerington, Ohio. Pickerington, is 15 minutes from my house and is where my FLGS is located. I laugh and tell him that I live in Baltimore....

He then laughs and says " Oh yeah? I run the Martial Arts School in Baltimore!" Now my heart oozes out of my toes and puddles onto the floor beneath my wheelchair. I reply back to him, "You mean the Martial Arts School that is located in the building with the HER Realtor's Office?" "The one that is directly across the street from my house???" Sigh...

So now we come to the happy ending... and the summary of ups and downs:

Down: I did not get to meet with the folks from GAMA today and turn in our applications.

Up: I did have one heck of an interesting adventure while trying.

Up: I found out that I do not have to pay the $50.00 registration fee for the Club Application - Great news that will save us even more money

Down: by the time I payed for gas for round trip, lunch for the three of us, and stopped at the Comic Book Store below the Convention Center and bought my nephew some "Superheroes" (Heroclix...he gets so excited about it and I can't resist him!) ... I ended up spending right around $50.00 - But it was worth it in the end for the adventure and the story rights!

Up: Tonight I will be hobbling across the street at 6:00 P.M. to meet with Roger Ward and go over all of our Origins details and applications. This is assuming I am not struck down by a farm tractor or chased by crazed killer bunnies...
    I have to say this: ever since I "Reported For Duty" finally back in October, I have had some of the most crazy, interesting incidents, and adventures ever... It is something about this place... The Aerodrome... it changes your life somehow... or at least it has mine!

And so far, I love it!

Time for The Cowman to go back to bed now...
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-03-2011 at 00:40.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Wow! Sounds like a hassle, but at leas you now get to meet and know the director of GAMA... and you have a great story to tell!

Never a boring day in the life of the Cowman!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    Never a boring day in the life of the Cowman!!
    Well I don't know about that... I have some real boring days... but the non-boring ones lately have been "over the top!!"
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Now that's a story. And I know how your nephew feels, I feel the same way when my wife buys me minis

That trip was full of ups and downs. Glad it had a happy ending!

I was soooo waiting for the part where the SWAT team cornered you as a suspected terrorist at which point you would have promptly peed yourself. Even without that it was still a heck of a story and very entertaining. I had to cringe when you said he works right across the street from you. Unbelievable!!

Ken. I just don't believe it. How can you pack a lifetimes incidents into one thirty mile round trip? The only thing that didn't happento you was failing to find your way back to the car, which had been re possesed, or blown up as a suspected bomb.
    What a story. I'm still laughing. You could make it into a film. this is a fully automated message and absolutly nothing can go wrong.....go wrong..... go wrong.... go wrong......go weer ooong.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We got us our own calamity magnet!

You thought of taking up writing comedy scripts Ken? They wouldn't believe it!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Ken...remind me to never go anywhere with you...and if you are actually there to remind me...it will be probably too late ;-0)

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I was soooo waiting for the part where the SWAT team cornered you as a suspected terrorist at which point you would have promptly peed yourself.
    That part was pretty much in the story, you must have missed it. I imagined that happening and I was subtle about how I imagined the part where I peed myelf:

Oh... did I mention that last summer Nationwide had a couple of bomb threats that cleared out their buildings and forced them to ramp up security??? So I am thinking that when this Elevator stops at the top floor (17) the doors are going to open and I am going to be faced with a security detail in riot gear and armed with automatic weapons... (We live in scary times... and lets face it, I have a vivid imagination at times.) I figured I would be shorting out my power wheelchair at that time. (Use your imagination folks.) So when the door does open, and of course there is nobody there, I immediately slam the joystick on my chair forward and get the heck out of the possessed Elevator.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken is one trip after another. And when I say trip I'm not talking about going anywhere. hehehe

At least you remain uncowed.

[_Starsky-and-Hutch_ shoulder-roll into bunker]

...it's no wonder we get the Colonel's cat drunk.........

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    At least you remain uncowed.

[_Starsky-and-Hutch_ shoulder-roll into bunker]
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse47 View Post
    ...it's no wonder we get the Colonel's cat drunk.........
    LOL What a crazy week!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

This story has to be the truth. No one could possibly think up a fictional story with all of this happening. Sounds like this should be on America's Funniest Videos.
    It's great to know we have such an upbeat leader for our Ohio Squadron.
    Trumpetman52

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetman52 View Post
    This story has to be the truth. No one could possibly think up a fictional story with all of this happening. Sounds like this should be on America's Funniest Videos.
    It's great to know we have such an upbeat leader for our Ohio Squadron.
    Trumpetman52
    LOL Tom I am just in charge of the Columbus Flight... CappyTom is the Ohio Squadron leader... but thanks for considering me upbeat! I try to be! ...unless of course you were actually talking about CappyTom... who is also upbeat... and much better looking... and better at crashing... (I am so in the doghouse now!)

On another note Tom, when are you going to come play some WoW with us?? There are events on the Calendar for Feb 13th and Feb 27th... would love to see you there!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

[/QUOTE]CappyTom... who is also upbeat... and much better looking... and better at crashing... (I am so in the doghouse now!) [/QUOTE]

Oh Ken so I crash better?? do I... Next time we meet 1 on 1. Lets see who goes down.

Also Trumpetman52, You and your son are personally invited up to Ada on the 26th if your free. Take care and keep warm.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    CappyTom... who is also upbeat... and much better looking... and better at crashing... (I am so in the doghouse now!)
    Oh Ken so I crash better?? do I... Next time we meet 1 on 1. Lets see who goes down.
    I am sorry Lt. Col... I may have misspoken... what I meant to say is that you crash more often... I am sure that I crash with more flare and style... which I guess means I am the one who crashes better... And what is the fun in 1 on 1? Lets do 2 on 2... more action that way! LOL!! (Now I am not just in the doghouse... I am under the doghouse!)

Also Trumpetman52, You and your son are personally invited up to Ada on the 26th if your free. Take care and keep warm.
    Hey Tom ( Wow this "Tom" thing is getting confusing...) If you guys do decide to go to Ada, I could really use a ride... and am willing to help with Gas... so keep me in mind!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Great story Ken, shouldn't have read it in the office though 'cause I've had some strange looks

Can't wait for the film to come out, Jack Nickolson as The Cowman?

cheers,

Dave.

And here's one of the scenes:

Here's Cowman...
    Hmmmmm. it would seem I am just a dull, lifeless X...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Me too. That was quite a story there Cowman! Other than that, well, no comment.

Similar Missions

1. HEAR YE, HEAR YE ANNOUNCING THE NEW BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON SQUADRON
    By rockyr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 12:10
  2. Gaming Road Trip
    By Charlie3 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 15:53
  3. The Cowman's Trip to the National Museum of USAF.
    By The Cowman in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 16:57
  4. A tale of three WWI Soldiers...
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 13:17
  5. Down in Flames (a short tale of woe)
    By DentedHead in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 20:56