Ares Games

Thread: Premium Membership

Question Premium Membership

Moved posts from Real Online WoG thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am afraid we can not. As you noted, we are more guardians or "fillers" than programmers. There is a try how to get Keith back at least once or twice per year to fix these troubles (preview on Home Page is also a fin example). It is not easy, he has his own life pretty much out of the Aerodrome, but I still believe "few hours a year volunteering" can be a way for us.
    The other topic is complete migration to new (= not dead) system, but that is for absolutely different thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This makes me start to wonder what's being done with our "premium membership" dues that are supposed to keep the place running...
    Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Yea, good point!

I was wondering about the same, when i realized the level of helplessness and the unusually non-responsive server side. Where would that money go? But then again, i didn't want to sound malcontent.

I don't have much time for a detail response right now, but the premium memberships are paying for what they have always paid for: VPS server, lots of extra storage space for all of our images and files, SSL certs to keep the site secure, and all the other little things add up to quite a bit each year. Part of the issue is also that the forum software is super old and no longer supported. The site should really be moved over to a newer forum software and probably a new host/server, but that runs a high risk of losing a lot of our data not to mention most if not all of the custom coding what was done to setup this site the way it is. I will try and add more next week when I have a bit more time and answer any questions or concerns you guys and gals might have.

Thanks, Chief!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

My Gold renewal will go through in early September, as always.

Thanks, Keith.

Having to keep an antique train on the tracks does explain a lot.

Suggestion, if we do look to a new platform, maybe set it up on a parallel server and mirror all the data over then let a tester group see what works and what doesn't first. Also designate someone specifically for "make-it-fail" testing.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Yes, there is only one question: Who can do it?

Similar Missions

1. Gold membership
    By Marechallannes in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2018, 13:43