Ares Games

Thread: Wings of Glory Using Other Rules

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Default Wings of Glory Using Other Rules

Does anybody use the Wings of Glory miniatures with other rule sets? I saw an online article that mentioned using WoG miniatures in conjunction with the old Yaquinto Wings rules. Just wondering if anyone does that and/or if they might be able to point me to the rules. I enjoy Wings of Glory, but the game itself is far from realistic when compared to other WWI aviation games I've played through the years. Just wondering if there's something out there that will allow me to use my Wings of Glory minis with a slightly more realistic ruleset. Thanks.

If you go to Boardgamegeek there is a forum for Wings . There also is 3 copies for sale if you want one. I think the BBG store closes down on September 1st so best buy soon.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Oh I already own Wings, Richthofen's War, Dawn Patrol, Canvas Falcons, Bloody April, and a number of other WWI aviation themed games. Each is very good in their own right. I was just wondering if somebody out there uses their WoG minis with a different rule set.

Sorry I misunderstood. I do sometimes use my minis with Blue Max as I have some Hex stands.

I use them with my Air War 1918 rules

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    ... the game itself is far from realistic when compared to other WWI aviation games
    I have not played any other aviation games. Can you elaborate a little on this? What aspects of the game lack realism compared to other games? Altitude rules are an obvious one,...

Not for WW1, but I plan on using the WGS planes with Check Your 6 rules.
    There's a gent in the North Ohio Wargamers group that runs Colourful Skies (the WW1 version of CY6) with WGF minis.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    I have not played any other aviation games. Can you elaborate a little on this? What aspects of the game lack realism compared to other games? Altitude rules are an obvious one,...
    Other games, such as Canvas Falcons, are very detailed regarding the performance characteristics of each airplane. Also, with Wings of Glory the combat procedures are very simplified. There is no deflection, no detailed damage effects, etc. Wings of Glory is fun, but it's very much a "light" wargame.

My first WWI game was a game by Milton Bradley that came out in the early 60's called Dogfight!. It was similar to Wings of Glory in that it was a simple, colorful, fun game while not being particularly realistic. I then moved on to Richthofen's War by Avalon Hill, which was also fairly simple and boosted my interest in WWI aviation. Then came Dawn Patrol, Wings, Canvas Falcons, and a bunch of others, each with increasing complexity. Canvas Falcons is the most complex. Just flying your aircraft is a challenge as you try to balance airspeed, drag, G loadings, etc. It's a challenge just to make a simple turn. As I get older I'm beginning to distance myself from that kind of complexity, but I still want a somewhat realistic game experience, hence my desire to try using the WoG minis with a different set of rules.

I have had the experience of playing "Canvas Eagles" at a convention where I hosted a few Wings of Glory games.

Rules here: www.maxeagles.com

The simplicity of Wings of Glory belies its complexity. I was not impressed with Canvas Eagles, due to the 'administration' required to acheive the effect of simulating 'accurate' aerial dogfighting. In fact, I was seriously underwhelmed.

One of the ideals Andrea stated in his design process came back to me, while playing Canvas Eagles. There I was, consulting charts, checking maneuver plots, writing down moves, tracking damage to specific parts of the plane. After all of that, at a certain point, my plane 'fell out of the sky.' Not much difference from collecting damage cards and comparing the damage resistance to the numbers on the cards. IMHO, the admin burden was not worth the 'realism,' and seriously slowed the game down, compared to Wings of Glory.

The person providing me with the gaming experience was more than sold on the realism. I wouldn't willingly play Canvas Eagles again.

Each to their own.

PS: The Canvas Eagles host used Wings of Glory miniatures nearly exclusively, using different stands for his game.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

It's just about what one enjoys. I enjoy Wings of Glory, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy other WWI aviation themed games as well. I'm just as likely to play Dawn Patrol or Wings or Richthofen's War as Wings of Glory. Heck, I even found a cheap copy of the old Milton Bradley Dogfight in a local antique store and enjoy that every once in a while. The biggest appeal for me with Wings of Glory is the modeling aspect of it. I've been a WWI aircraft modeler for years and this game gives me the opportunity to build and paint some nice looking models I can then use in games. I finished a Sopwith Pup a while ago and now I'm waiting for some more Valom kits to arrive so I can put them together.

We have used the WWI planes with CY6. You need a big map! But it is very fun!

I am using WoG minis for "In Clouds of Glory" ( http://icog.dk/ ). Looks much better than small 1:350 models game uses. I just had to fabricate holders from paper clips
    Name:  IMG_9969s.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  55.4 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I'll have to look into them all.

I noticed at the Wings of Linen site that each aircraft entry not only has the WoG info, but also has the Blue Max/Canvas Eagles game info. I'm not sure if there's some sort of tie-in with that game or not.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I'll have to look into them all.

I noticed at the Wings of Linen site that each aircraft entry not only has the WoG info, but also has the Blue Max/Canvas Eagles game info. I'm not sure if there's some sort of tie-in with that game or not.

Thanks again.
    In my opinion, and apart from the obvious benefits of playing with highly detailed pre-painted minis in any game, I remember that the designer of this game played Blue Max extensively before designing this one. So I guess that ties them together. A bit like X-Wing and Wings of War I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    In my opinion, and apart from the obvious benefits of playing with highly detailed pre-painted minis in any game, I remember that the designer of this game played Blue Max extensively before designing this one. So I guess that ties them together. A bit like X-Wing and Wings of War I would imagine.
    Hmmm... Blue Max (1983) was published many years before Wings of War (2004). Richtofen's War (1972) and Blue Max were games the game designer used to play, and developed Wings of War using them, and other games, as benchmarks and idea generators. X-Wing was developed from Wing of War, using templates rather than card decks (and perhaps the pilot initiative from the WWII version). So, X-Wing being a follow-on development of Wings of War could be considered in the same light as inspiration from a previous game.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

The Blue Max /Canvas Eagles designer played Wings too - he was on the forum many moons ago & lists the planes as a model source on his site.
    http://www.maxeagles.com/index.html

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Blue Max /Canvas Eagles designer played Wings too[/url]
    I'm playing around with Wings right now. I'm in the process of printing the aircraft data cards that appeared in Air Power and generating counters for the additional aircraft. One can never have too many aircraft to play with...

Similar Missions

1. Wings of Glory WWII Rules and Accessories
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2018, 05:48
  2. Wings of Glory vs. Wings of War - rules differences?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2014, 23:55
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53
  4. Bail Out Rules for Wings of War/Glory World War II
    By RickMartin in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 18:20
  5. Wings of Glory Rules (English) now avaliable
    By somaliavet in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1