Ares Games

Thread: Incorrect movement on the Immelmann

Default Incorrect movement on the Immelmann

Hello All,
    One question, if you plan an Immelmann and place the wrong movement card and also the wrong speed. Do you collect 2 A damage tokens? One for the wrong card and one for the wrong speed. Just need clarification.

Thanks
    Tom

Here's the rule in question:

If a player plans an illegal maneuver because he fails to follow these restrictions, when the illegal maneuver is revealed, replace it with a straight card and take an “A” token of damage for the stress on the structure of the airplane. If the maneuver is correct but the speed marker is not, replace the marker with an appropriate one and take an “A” damage token.

You're asking what happens if someone comes out of an Immelmann with, say. a fast turn instead of the required slow straight? Do they take damage for both mistakes?

I would say no. The second sentence only applies if the maneuver was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Here's the rule in question:

If a player plans an illegal maneuver because he fails to follow these restrictions, when the illegal maneuver is revealed, replace it with a straight card and take an “A” token of damage for the stress on the structure of the airplane. If the maneuver is correct but the speed marker is not, replace the marker with an appropriate one and take an “A” damage token.

You're asking what happens if someone comes out of an Immelmann with, say. a fast turn instead of the required slow straight? Do they take damage for both mistakes?

I would say no. The second sentence only applies if the maneuver was correct.
    Thanks Larry. When I was reading the rules it sounded like they got one for each.

Of course, I could be wrong. I hope others chime in with how they play it.

I would also say they only take one.

I say one but for a different reason...

Under the "Other Optional Rules and Altitude" the HS marker is immediately replaced with a LS marker regardless of planning, therefore he can't be at the wrong speed in this example. Generally I'd only say one anyway, sounds a bit harsh taking two

cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    I say one but for a different reason...

Under the "Other Optional Rules and Altitude" the HS marker is immediately replaced with a LS marker regardless of planning, therefore he can't be at the wrong speed in this example. Generally I'd only say one anyway, sounds a bit harsh taking two

cheers,

Dave
    I agree. Just don't want any arguments before the fact. Thanks guys

We rarely use altitude...but, what we do for any illegal move is require a full straight to be played immediately in place of the illegal one...no damage taken...

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    We rarely use altitude...but, what we do for any illegal move is require a full straight to be played immediately in place of the illegal one...no damage taken...
    So Jim are you talking about WW2 or WW1? Cause we do it that way with WW1. I guess we could do it with WW2 as well. I will see what everyone says.

Tom,
    Sorry, wasn't too clear there...that's what we use for WW I...for WW II...it really hasn't arisen...yet...;-) I'm open for suggestions that don't bog things down too much.

for WW2 the rules are the same, replace the illegal move with a straight at the current speed and take an A damage chit.....unless you play the optional ironman rule...

cheers,

Dave.

for WW2 the rules are the same, replace the illegal move with a straight at the current speed and take an A damage chit.....unless you play the optional ironman rule...

cheers,

Dave.
    Ironman rule? Is it in the book?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Ironman rule? Is it in the book?
    Pg 9, optional rules - any illegal card play = death. Nasty

Pg 9, optional rules - any illegal card play = death. Nasty
    That's what I thought. Just didn't feel like getting my box out to see the rules. Thanks.

Okay...I finally had to look it up. Page 9 states; "Illegal Moves: When a player plans an illegal move (for example, two steep manuevers in a row, or a Low Speed-only manuever at High Speed), at the moment in which that manuever has to be performed, the plane goes out of control and is eliminated. The plane counts as shot down by the enemy team for victory conditions."

not exactly Ironman...more like drop like a lead-balloon man ;-)

Or you could spin them out http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...5-Spinning-Out
    but that is a house rule not an official one.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    not exactly Ironman...more like drop like a lead-balloon man ;-)
    lol, harsh but fair

We use the term Iron man for anything that allows no mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Or you could spin them out http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...5-Spinning-Out
    but that is a house rule not an official one.
    I like it a lot, more WW1 than 2?

Similar Missions

1. Immelmann Turn Question
    By Pope in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 17:58
  2. DrVIII movement decks
    By Gbear58 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 06:07
  3. WWII Bomber Immelmann?
    By Max Headroom in forum WGS: Rules Help