Ares Games

Thread: Loaded vs. Unloaded

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Default Loaded vs. Unloaded

Is the reason for the maneuver deck differences in the Breguet 14A2 vs. the Breguet 14B2 solely because of the fact the B2 version carried bombs? If so, I'm wondering why there aren't performance differences in other aircraft when flying loaded vs. unloaded. I ask because most other aviation games I've played decrement the performance of aircraft carrying bombs, but I can't see anything like that with WoG. Thanks.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I think the weight of the bombs is what makes the difference.

We didn't realise there was a difference between the Breguet 14A2 and the Breguet 14B2 until we were playing a game that included one of each and we discovered the B2 couldn't keep up with the A2. Then we checked the manoeuvre decks!

I am guessing that there is no difference for a loaded and unloaded plane to keep the game simple. That is one thing I think WoW/WoG does well. The game is fun and interesting without being complicated.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Understand - which is why I can't figure out why the two Breguets have different maneuver decks. I'd think since all other planes perform the same loaded vs. unloaded that the Breguets would be the same - unless there was some significant difference in the A2 vs. the B2 other than the bomb load I'm not aware of.

From what I have read, the A model was strictly a recon plane and the B model was a bomber. To me that means that the A would never be as heavy as the B in operational use. As you pointed out, I too am not sure that any other plane in the WoG inventory differentiates between bomber and recon models like that.

https://www.historynet.com/winged-warhorse-breguet-14/

Ares would not take on supplying two decks per plane so the workaround is to play a stall each turn when loaded. The alternative is to play a deck slower, which I have done in the past, switching to the usual deck once the bombs have gone. That works better than the stall & provides a 'smoother flight'.
    In this instance it's suggesting that once the bombs of gone you could up grade the deck from K to H; with faster types like the DH.4 you could go from H to A which might be accurate in real life.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

WWI aircraft didn't have large amounts of power and adding the weight of bombs really restricted their ability to maneuver. I thought about doing something simple which would be to eliminate certain cards from the maneuver deck while the aircraft is loaded. Once the aircraft drops its bombs it would then be able to maneuver using its entire deck. It's not perfect, but would be a way to at least simulate the fact a loaded aircraft can't maneuver very well. Just a thought.

Many tandems use K deck, a few H deck and Y deck - these decks all have the same manoeuvres but at different speeds, so that's an easy substitution. There is not much to take away to make any real difference though. The few other tandems with decks that use Immels will have more to take away, of course.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. American aircraft with bombs loaded under its wing in United States: a clip
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 01:56