Ares Games

Thread: Help starting

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

Question Help starting

Hi everyone.

I bought many years ago some Wings of War WW2 stuff in a second hand sale, but opened it, saw that a flight stand was missing, stored it in a box and never opened it again. Now, I want to give it a try and get my GF and little sister involved, so I don't feel that bad buying extra planes as they aren't just for my personal enjoyment

Today I got around to seeing what I had really bought, and what I would need to start playing. That's what I found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220722_132614.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	317450

I have what seems to be an uncomplete Dawn of War box and 4 extra planes, the game seems to have been used just once as the planes cards are still kind of stuck between them. I have no rulebook and the Spitfire is missing the stand (I want to make my own planes and custom stands for the ones I already have in the future, but right now I'd love to know if someone would send me an original one), but I think nothing else is missing.

This means I have a few maneuver decks with 18 cards each (more modern ones, even with the same letter, are lenghtier as far as I know):
    • Dawn of War box:
      • 1 x A Deck
      • 1 x B Deck
      • 2 x C Deck
      • 2 x D Deck
    • Extra planes:
      • 1 x A Deck (Spitfire MkII)
      • 1 x B Deck (Bf109 E4)
      • 1 x C Deck (A6M2)
      • 1 x D Deck (F4F-4)

I really hope no counters or damage chips are missing, I'll sort them later. In addition, I have no damage decks, so I guess I can just play with the base Dawn of War rules until I get a few more things. Knowing this I'll just ask a few questions that come to my mind right now:
    • Are those decks enough to start playing? I don't really wanna spend much now trying to get every deck, I can't really afford them. Would someone be kind enough to share scans with me? I could also try to use the amazing MATES as I think they are kinda updates, with the Deck Aides to write down the moves before revealing them.
    • Which ruleset is better to start playing and avoid wasting time? I really like the damage deck system, but again, I would buy a few spare decks but I don't want to spend money on extra stuff I don't need.
    • Would someone send a spare Spitfire Mk2 stand? If someone has gone to custom stands (which I plan to do in the future? maybe they would be willing to help a starter (n00b).
    • What would be the best way to get common WW2 maneuver decks? I mean, I want newer decks with all the cards but I don't want to buy planes I don't need to start having fun.
    • Should I just forget about what I have bought and start over with a WoG Battle of Britain Starter Pack? I could try to bring the planes I have to the table, making new decks if someone is kind enough to send me scans or looking to scan the decks I get with the new set. This would be a PIA, but I recon it would definetly save me time trying to find everything I need to update my game.

That would be it, any advise, help or offer of stuff I'm missing will be greatly appreciated. I have attached two closeups of the mess I have to sort, so you can see better what I have and have not.

Thanks in advance, I'd love to join this community after scrolling for hours through your posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20220722_132625.jpg   IMG_20220722_132633.jpg  

Hello there, and Welcome!

A couple of quick points to help you out...

WGS (Wings WW2) does not use damage decks - the counter chits you see in your set are drawn at random, in just the same way that the damage cards are drawn in WGF (WW1).

I have a spare Spitfire base, and would be happy to send it to you.

The 18 card decks are correct and complete for the 4 planes you own - the Spitfire new version added two more, but your deck is usable as is.

Cheers
    Tim
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Hello there, and Welcome!

A couple of quick points to help you out...

WGS (Wings WW2) does not use damage decks - the counter chits you see in your set are drawn at random, in just the same way that the damage cards are drawn in WGF (WW1).
    Yeah, I've read that. I've got yet to find a ruleset I like, with basic and more advanced alternatives, and print them for ease of use. Does WoG use dmg tokens too? I don't really care about using tokens of cards for damage, to be honest, but I'd love to know what veterans prefere and what the lastest versions use.

I have a spare Spitfire base, and would be happy to send it to you.
    I'd love that, (I'll pay for it, and don't you dare to refuse) but I must say first that I live in Spain, just to let you know that after last year's consequences of Brexit it might be a little harder to send it. If it's a Mk.II as the one I should have, even better!

The 18 card decks are correct and complete for the 4 planes you own - the Spitfire new version added two more, but your deck is usable as is.

Cheers
    Tim
    I've read some decks have up to 22 cards, but I must be confusing WGF and WGS. What do I miss by having just 18 cards? What other decks would I need to flya few custom made light bombers and most fighters? Also, I've seen a Fire from the Sky under €15 show up on the 2nd hand market, is a good complement to the Dawn of War box or I shouln't bother buying it?

Thanks fellow pilot, I didn't expect such a quick respones. I'm sorry for my English, by the way, obviously not a native speaker.

Hello bienvenido

You can download the BoB rulebook in the file section here

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2665

The rules are absolutely compatible with what you have, though the graphics of the components are slightly different

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    Hello bienvenido

You can download the BoB rulebook in the file section here

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...o=file&id=2665

The rules are absolutely compatible with what you have, though the graphics of the components are slightly different
    Thank you so much, I still have to dig in the Files section, it's pure gold. I don't care about the graphics, as some of my decks already have a terrain background and some just plain blue. I'm just trying to find the missing base and guess if newer maneuver decks would be interesting, in addition to trying to discern how much would altittude rules change the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotF View Post
    Does WoG use dmg tokens too? I don't really care about using tokens of cards for damage, to be honest, but I'd love to know what veterans prefere and what the lastest versions use.

I've read some decks have up to 22 cards, but I must be confusing WGF and WGS. What do I miss by having just 18 cards? What other decks would I need to flya few custom made light bombers and most fighters? Also, I've seen a Fire from the Sky under €15 show up on the 2nd hand market, is a good complement to the Dawn of War box or I shouln't bother buying it?

I'm sorry for my English, by the way, obviously not a native speaker.
    Yes, WOG uses dmg tokens also. I'm still pretty new to the game but I would think almost everyone who plays WW2 uses the tokens. The tokens that you have will be similar to the WOG ones but will look a little different. Functionally the same though. Some of the newer planes have up to 22 cards (and the cards are larger too) but you don't miss out on anything with the planes that you currently have.

I say this without knowing the European market but I would save up for either the battle of Britain starter pack or the ww2 rules and accessories pack if it can be found at a reasonable price. You might even be able to sell the old Wings of War set (with or without the planes) to offset the cost a little bit.

Your English is quite good, no need to apologize! Welcome!

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Goat View Post
    Yes, WOG uses dmg tokens also. I'm still pretty new to the game but I would think almost everyone who plays WW2 uses the tokens. The tokens that you have will be similar to the WOG ones but will look a little different. Functionally the same though. Some of the newer planes have up to 22 cards (and the cards are larger too) but you don't miss out on anything with the planes that you currently have.
    I'll sort the tokens tomorrow, so I'll see what I have and what I haven't. So far it seems nothing is lost (appart from the flight stand) because I don't really feel this set has ever been played.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Goat View Post
    I say this without knowing the European market but I would save up for either the battle of Britain starter pack or the ww2 rules and accessories pack if it can be found at a reasonable price. You might even be able to sell the old Wings of War set (with or without the planes) to offset the cost a little bit.
    I don't know if anyone would want the Dawn of War box, as it's old, with 18-card decks. For what is worth, I'd rather keep it as a standalone game (which originally was) and bring it when we go somewhere on holiday to play on the camping table. With respect to the WoG Starter Set, I'm completely unable to find it. It has been discontinued, so it's out of stock in every shop I see, and neither can I find it in second hand market. I have, however, bookmarked a Wing of War Starter Set (another plane for each faction and more tokens and old decks) for around 65 euro, but I don't if it's worth or it would be more useful to buy the Rules & Accesories pack as you mentioned.

Your English beats my Spanish hands down!

All the WW2 fighters (pre-High Speed Late War planes) have 18 cards, including the 'Nexus' Spitfire Mk.II.
    The 'Ares' Battle of Britain Spitfire adds 2 wide sideslip cards to its deck, for a total of 20.

I happen to have spare copies of all of the WW2 box sets............

"Dawn of War"

"Fire from the Sky"

"WW2 Rules and Accessories Pack"

"Wings of Glory Starter Set" (4 aircraft included)

"Wings of War Deluxe Set" (4 aircraft included)

"Battle of Britain Starter Set" (4 aircraft included)

Some of the box sets have foreign language rulebooks - French and German for certain, and possibly Italian and Spanish....

Plus also a range of aircraft packs, both "Wings of War" WW2 and "Wings of Glory" WW2

If there is anything specific that you want, drop me a PM.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

When counting your chits, the damage chits break down as follows...

Number of Tokens: A = 72 B = 60 C = 60 D = 60

Quantity of damage tokens: # of chits, X%/ # of special damage chits, specific special damage
    A Chits
    0 = 19x 26% / 0
    1 = 19x 26% / 3 - engine, left rudder, right rudder
    2 = 20x 28% / 4 - pilot, fire, left rudder, right rudder
    3 = 10x 14% / 3 - pilot, smoke 2x
    4 = 3x 4% / 1 - engine
    Explosions = 1x 1% / 1 boom
    Special damage 16.7%

B Chits
    0 = 10x 17% / 0
    1 = 7x 12% / 2 - left rudder, right rudder
    2 = 12x 20% / 3 – pilot, smoke 2x
    3 = 9x 15% / 2 – fire, engine
    4 = 8x 13% / 2 – left rudder, right rudder
    5 = 6x 8% / 0
    6 = 3x 5% / 1 - pilot
    7 = 2x 3% / 1 - engine
    8 = 2x 3% / 0
    Explosions = 1x 2% 1 - boom
    Special damage 20%

C Chits
    0 = 25x 42% / 0
    3 = 12x 20% / 4 – engine, smoke, left rudder, right rudder
    5 = 10x 17% / 4 – pilot, smoke, left rudder, right rudder
    6 = 7x 12% / 3 – fire, engine, pilot
    8 = 5x 8% / 0
    Explosions = 1x 2% / 1 - boom
    Special damage 20%

D Chits
    0 = 26x 43% / 0
    5 = 10x 17% / 4 – left rudder 2x, right rudder 2x
    8 = 6x 10% / 4 – pilot 2x, smoke 2x
    10 = 6x 10% / 2 – fire 2x
    12 = 6x 10% / 2 – engine 2x
    15 = 2x 3% / 0
    18 = 2x 3% / 0
    Explosions = 2x 3% / 2 – boom 2x
    Special damage 23%

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

I get this breakdown works for the latter rules, maybe Wings of Glory WW2. I just have A, B & C dmg chits. So I guess that's another reason to try and find a WoG set, and probably not spending much on WoW stuff unless it's a good offer.

I really appreciate the info.

Only a select few planes use the D damage chits. Off the top of my head I can think of only the BF109-K4 and the Ichikawa KI-61. The KI-61 is super hard to balance but might keep your gf/little sister engaged. I usually let my wife use that one and try to get it out of the game as soon as possible with varying degrees of luck .

Yes, the chit list I gave is for WW2.

You can get away without having the D chits.

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

I don't know which is the best way of adding questions to the original post, nor do I know if editing the OP would serve as a bump and mark it as unread again, so I'll just add another comment.

Could you point me to a Tier/Matchup table somewhere? I know it must exist, but I haven't found anything yet. I tried the game playing my little sister with the cards (we'll get to the minis, we were just trying it out) and I tried to pick two Bf109 that wouldn't obliterate her D.520, but even if I outmaneuvered her a few times her slightly higher firepower was pretty noticeable. Whenever we happened to both land shots, I got far more damage.

I just wanna create interesting matchups to play, don't want to get into asymmetric warfare, scenarios or period accurate fights yet.

Cheers.

Trying to make the balance perfect is impossible. The damage chits can swing wildly either way so you just have to take it when it comes your way. If the balance in your games always is one way you could try adding another plane to the weaker side? Bring it into the battle a turn or two late?

Fantasy Flight still has the rule books for Wings of War online. They are located in the links below. You have the first boxed set, the first link.

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Dawn of War Rulebook Eng.pdf

If you get two-seater planes, like Stukas or other bombers, this set of rules could be of value:

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Wings of War: Fire From the Sky Rulebook Eng.pdf

And this was the last set of rules that Fantasy Flight published, just before they shut down production of Wings of War WW2 (combines the first two sets, IIRC):

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Wings of War: WW2 Miniatures Rulebook.pdf

Litko Flight Bases:

Litko.net - Wings of War Flight Stands (10)

You can look around this site for different types and quantities. They need different rods to indicate altitude, but you could glue a Wings Flight peg to the base, and add extras as you gain altitude.

If you get blank stands, and want info on them, the below link might be of value, too:

How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-24-2022 at 14:41.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Fantasy Flight still has the rule books for Wings of War online. They are located in the links below. You have the first boxed set, the first link.

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Dawn of War Rulebook Eng.pdf

If you get two-seater planes, like Stukas or other bombers, this set of rules could be of value:

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Wings of War: Fire From the Sky Rulebook Eng.pdf

And this was the last set of rules that Fantasy Flight published, just before they shut down production of Wings of War WW2 (combines the first two sets, IIRC):

www.fantasyflightgames.com - Wings of War: WW2 Miniatures Rulebook.pdf
    Yeah, I found the latest WoW Ruleset in Spanish, going to print it tomorrow. However, I found they are selling another Dawn of War set for 7 euro, so I'm definitely buying that and maybe it includes the guide. Is it stupid to buy another early box without minis? Well, maybe. But 7 euro to get another 6 decks ain't that bad, right now I could only deploy 2 Bf109s as they use the B deck.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Litko Flight Bases:

Litko.net - Wings of War Flight Stands (10)

You can look around this site for different types and quantities. They need different rods to indicate altitude, but you could glue a Wings Flight peg to the base, and add extras as you gain altitude.

If you get blank stands, and want info on them, the below link might be of value, too:

How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands
    I don't really like how the Litko ones look, I prefered the Aerodrome ones. It's so sad to come back to the forum and see the store closed. Is there any other source of acrylic rulers? Anyway, I was planning on getting some acrylic laser-cut and adding stickers underneath, I had already bookmarked that tutorial

Thanls for your help, I'll try to post my progress.

Users Country Flag

Name
    FoxtrotF
    Sorties Flown

I thought it would be interesting to update this post with my newest adquisitions. First and foremost, I bought from Greece through BGG's GeekMarket a Wings of Glory Battle of Britain Starter Set. This will allow me to play some games without having to think about realistic nor balanced fights, as my guess is they should be straight from the box.

Name:	IMG_20220805_191904.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	317950

Also, I ordered some planes from the fellow member of this forum Decapod: 4xSpitfire Mk.Vc and 4xFW190 A-8 (and he printed another Spitfire by accident, yay). Yeah, I messed up and the German planes are faster and with more firepower. However, they wouldn't see table soon anyway, as I'm new to the hobbyist side of tabletop gaming so I don't really have the means nor the knowledge to quickly prepare and paint them.

I also found a local small shop that could cut and engrave acrylic bases for me. I messed up my measurements and made them a mm longer. Also, note that the fire arc is based on the cards, which is a little bit more open than the one on the original stands (70º vs 66º), it was quite noticeable to me. I have some more things on the way: clear acrylic rods and tubes on the way to make the pegs, as well as some magnets and bearing balls. I think they are a tad big, but I couldn't source magnets with less diameter than 6 mm. I decided to clean the black paint, it looked hideous.

Name:	IMG_20220805_191816.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	317951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220805_184656.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	317952

I thought it would be interesting to update this post with my newest adquisitions. First and foremost, I bought from Greece through BGG's GeekMarket a Wings of Glory Battle of Britain Starter Set. This will allow me to play some games without having to think about realistic nor balanced fights, as my guess is they should be straight from the box.

Name:	IMG_20220805_191904.jpg 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	317950

Also, I ordered some planes from the fellow member of this forum Decapod: 4xSpitfire Mk.Vc and 4xFW190 A-8 (and he printed another Spitfire by accident, yay). Yeah, I messed up and the German planes are faster and with more firepower. However, they wouldn't see table soon anyway, as I'm new to the hobbyist side of tabletop gaming so I don't really have the means nor the knowledge to quickly prepare and paint them.

I also found a local small shop that could cut and engrave acrylic bases for me. I messed up my measurements and made them a mm longer. Also, note that the fire arc is based on the cards, which is a little bit more open than the one on the original stands (70º vs 66º), it was quite noticeable to me. I have some more things on the way: clear acrylic rods and tubes on the way to make the pegs, as well as some magnets and bearing balls. I think they are a tad big, but I couldn't source magnets with less diameter than 6 mm. I decided to clean the black paint, it looked hideous.

Name:	IMG_20220805_191816.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	317951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220805_184656.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	317952
    Awesome, that BOB set is great. You have a lot of evenly matched planes now which should make for some fun games. I think I tend to have more fun with the lower damage planes compared to the newer ones with typically higher damage. The games do last longer though which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your mood/timing. I've yet to get into the 3d printed models but I seem to have mostly everything from Ares I want at this point so that's the next logical step.

I have some more things on the way: clear acrylic rods and tubes on the way to make the pegs, as well as some magnets and bearing balls. I think they are a tad big, but I couldn't source magnets with less diameter than 6 mm.
    Greenstuffworld does a good range of magnets for x-wing that may be of interest; the "M" sized magnets are approximately the same diameter as a standard wings of glory peg. They are also based in Spain so hopefully that makes shipping cheap for you!

Similar Missions

1. Starting out
    By deedles in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 14:26
  2. Starting Again
    By The Reader in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-06-2017, 11:23
  3. WGF starting planes
    By Canestri10 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18