Ares Games

Thread: Online WoG App

Lightbulb Online WoG App

Today is the Day, so let's focus our impressions, feelings, knowledge and other in this sticky thread.

Apple App Store Europe has it already. Waiting for Steam.

Would be looking into setting up Discord and Steam groups other than Aerodrome trademarking...

Diamondback+5871 ingame.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Should join these threads, perhaps?

Link > Real Online WoG - Post on Immelmann Restrictions
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Brilliant fun... shot Andrea down in my first online game... talk about a notable first scalp. It is everything I hoped t would be (apart from the absence of the Bristol of course, lol)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I've just downloaded from Steam and played...
    Enjoyable, especially when I only get to play the real thing VERY occasionally.
    I'd be happier with more planes over a greater period, and with a larger play area...but otherwise -
    It Was Fun.

Showed how rusty I've become after years of non-play and only a few games before that...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Probably get the Steam version next week.
    Frankly, I'm concerned about all the addictive talk, as I know what the computer screen and keyboard can to to my time-off productivity.
    Still, having a game with distant friends would be good.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have the steam version and the Android version. I think a game on the tablet while SWMBO is watching one of her epics on TV is a good idea. Better than endless games of mindless solitaire anyway.

If you only use it when things like that happen then it will not become addictive.

It's as addictive as the tabletop version, without the need to fiddle with card or miniatures or setup.

Games can be very quick, anywhere from 5-10 minutes is probably average.

I love it!

Playing area definitely too small for late war aircraft. Spad XIII has to do repeated immelmans and not much else.

Apart from that.. rather good.

I wish that we could get an upgraded SPAD that had 3 pairs of Narrow Slides, like the Pfalz D.IIIa. That would be helpful for turning; that manuever is useful for getting you closer to the border opposite your path.

Just logged in, favorable so far. Would like a little more playing area. I'm same name as here.

UPDATE: Too many collisions!
    Last edited by Tommy Z; 07-24-2022 at 11:45.

Welcome back, Tommy!

Try more minis per game or bombing/strafing mission - area is bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Just logged in, favorable so far. Would like a little more playing area. I'm same name as here.

UPDATE: Too many collisions!
    Hey Tommy; Good to hear from you. PM sent.
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 07-25-2022 at 06:42. Reason: sp again!
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I have flown a couple of recon missions and this morning checked the length of the app mat and you can do 12 straights in a Roland before going off the other end. It is a lot thinner though so it needs to be wider to enable a K deck plane to turn around from the middle. It is a lot of fun to play and a lot quicker than our table top games. So well done to Ares and Direwolf for giving us this.

I do think we should have a separate section for the app in the forum now though.

Annoyingly, it looks like you have to have someone's email to send them a friend request. Too bad they also won't let us edit usernames to add group tags...

I wrote to Dire Wolf. They were quick and kind to respond. If you guys leave your ideas here, they will never come alive.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

So far this is a lot of fun

Actually the mat does not have to be wider in the app. Do not know what I was thinking of. It is plenty wide enough for a K deck to do 3 turns from the middle. So far I have shot down 4 Spads in my Roland. It is a lot of fun.

I've played almost as many games on the app in the last week as I have in the last sixteen years! It's reignited my interest in playing the tabletop version more, too.

The last update has three mat sizes for dogfights - default, bigger, huge.

Please rate the game and post photos here:
    https://videogamegeek.com/videogame/...-and-triplanes
    (yes I know, the title is wrong - already told the aadministrators)

For problems or suggestion the address is support@direwolfdigital.com

Thanks everyone!

Given us a chance to game with old friends, meet new ones and... Kill them !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hi Team, I just found and downloaded the app today (hit me up if you'd like to go head-to-head). It seems fun for a bit of casual play / practice. One immediate question: are there plans to introduce more aircraft? The current selection is fine to kick-start some 1917-18 dogfights but of course I'd like some more, as I'm sure everyone would (Albatros D.III, Pfalz D.III/a, SE5a and Bristol F.2b spring to mind).

How do you guys judge the performance of the AI in a solo dogfight? Is better than our solo charts?

In my opinion the AI is different in the app. Although the AI will go for you it sometimes gives up when you get past. I am not the best pilot but I can generally defeat a single AI plane, sometimes two, but not three of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    How do you guys judge the performance of the AI in a solo dogfight? Is better than our solo charts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    In my opinion the AI is different in the app. Although the AI will go for you it sometimes gives up when you get past. I am not the best pilot but I can generally defeat a single AI plane, sometimes two, but not three of them yet.
    I'd think they used our solo charts to base their AI on, same as in Dan's Solo App, so about the same results can be expected. You should be able to beat them one on one but occasionally they will best you.

Congrats on the 3k+ sorties, Gary.
    Last edited by flash; 09-26-2022 at 01:30.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. WoG online
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 04:20
  2. Anybody want to get a campaign going online?
    By Kenny43 in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:18
  3. Online games
    By Azrael in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 13:12
  4. WWI - Online
    By Shivaja in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 13:52