Ares Games

Thread: Convention Demo Scenario Ideas Requested

Default Convention Demo Scenario Ideas Requested

Hello Everyone! I have not been active since for quite some time, but will be attending my first gaming convention since February 2020 (prior to COVID) this September. I plan on running a session of WGF to support the con.

I typically just match up Sopwith Camels vs. Fokker DR.Is for regular dogfighting, but am looking for some suggestions for simple rules for getting downed pilots back into the battle asap. Maybe they fly back on from a table edge a certain minimum distance from the nearest enemy plane?

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I usually see the down pilots sit one full three card turn. Then they are spawned in 1 range stick form the game mat edge. This is assuming you are using two game mats.

There are lots of variants depending on the game size and how much table space you are using. If you are using a large game mat you may want them to start two range sticks from an enemy plane.

The idea we use is to get them back into the action within a three card move.

I think you can use even twoseaters for a demo game - they're not so, different from the fighters. In that case a reckon mission is an obvious choice that forces players to head to a certain point.

Dr.I & Camel are fine, D.VII & Snipe also OK.

I recall a post, quite a while ago, where players drew cards for a series of planes. The planes (3?) decended in capability if a player had to use them. This rewarded players thay kept their original plane, but in a big furball, it would continue to take damage, making it vulnerable to lesser planes over time.

You need three planes per player, decending in capability, for this to work. That might make the plan a challenge for a single game host (excepting, perhaps, Tim [Flying Helmet]).

PS: The 'WW1 Invitational Tournament' at Origins is the thing I was remembering. There were pictures at one time, but I can't find them, now. They may have disappeared in a hacking. The rules are spead over a few posts on this thread:

Link> Tournament Formats

Look for posts by Kieth [Oberst Hajj]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-10-2022 at 21:06.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I think you can use even twoseaters for a demo game - they're not so, different from the fighters. In that case a reckon mission is an obvious choice that forces players to head to a certain point...
    Yes you can, I use scenario driven participation games at shows in the UK - they are designed to finish fast as shows here are more for passing traffic than booked gaming the chaps seem to have in the US; many can't commit the time to a full couple of hours scrap but can be tempted to try a 20 minuter !

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarflord22 View Post
    ...I typically just match up Sopwith Camels vs. Fokker DR.Is for regular dogfighting, but am looking for some suggestions for simple rules for getting downed pilots back into the battle asap..
    I think you're on the right track with Dan's suggestions, Mike, it depends on speeds and directions, if you're coming on behind the enemy you don't want to start too far away or you may never catch up' if head to head give 'em plenty of room.
    If you want to do something simple to randomise entry, nominate 12 o'clock on the table, roll a D12 and have them appear from the o'clock they roll at the appropriate distance. If you really want to mess with them have them roll another D12 and that's the way they're facing, that might give them an interesting conundrum to get back in the fight !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yes you can, I use scenario driven participation games at shows in the UK - they are designed to finish fast as shows here are more for passing traffic than booked gaming the chaps seem to have in the US; many can't commit the time to a full couple of hours scrap but can be tempted to try a 20 minuter !

I think you're on the right track with Dan's suggestions, Mike, it depends on speeds and directions, if you're coming on behind the enemy you don't want to start too far away or you may never catch up' if head to head give 'em plenty of room.
    If you want to do something simple to randomise entry, nominate 12 o'clock on the table, roll a D12 and have them appear from the o'clock they roll at the appropriate distance. If you really want to mess with them have them roll another D12 and that's the way they're facing, that might give them an interesting conundrum to get back in the fight !
    This might work:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RandomPlacement_D2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	316931
    Source: Downloads - World War I - Game Aides - Random Placement Diagram
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-11-2022 at 08:57.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

For what it's worth, I've generally used either Recon missions or Balloon Busting missions for larger "convention" style games...up to as many as 12 players. The number of balloons or two-seaters can be varied based on the number of participants. Both tend to see most pilots duking it out until the point of victory is met.

Similar Missions

1. Balloon Assault Scenario Idea - Input Requested
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2018, 13:56
  2. ideas for a grand scale feeling convention game?
    By celticgriffon in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 11:14
  3. Looking for convention ideas...
    By KiltedWolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 05:54