Ares Games
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Real Online WoG

Not sure if y'all noticed (I just did moments ago), but you can shave points off your airplane by knocking down your hitpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I guess Tim don't want to spend time, not money
    Bullseye!

I have a history of

1) playing computer games all night before a Professional Qualification exam, which I subsequently failed, and had to repeat a year
    2) playing an online multilayer game, and failed to turn up for work
    3) lost so much sleep to computer games that I fell asleep at work the following day (several occasions)

Please don't try to draw in an addict - it won't end well.

On top of that, I have far too many existing projects demanding my time - I have absolutely none to spare.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

That is the voice of wisdom and self control. rep

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Bullseye!

I have a history of

1) playing computer games all night before a Professional Qualification exam, which I subsequently failed, and had to repeat a year
    3) lost so much sleep to computer games that I fell asleep at work the following day (several occasions)

On top of that, I have far too many existing projects demanding my time - I have absolutely none to spare.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.

Bill Watterson
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Bullseye!

I have a history of

I can seriously relate, Tim.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Anyone know if the Steam version not only functions, but also allows one to play with mobile players? IIRC, someone said no to both.

Bullseye!

I have a history of

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I can seriously relate, Tim.
    Karl
    Ahem....I also fear this app. I got it but will have to be very disciplined with it.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-27-2022 at 16:08.

I shall wait for the lap top version. Apps on phones I find difficult

I will say this for the narrow battlefield—it improves the experience for Altitude Rules, IMO. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead playing with those rules, but, on a narrow battlefield, there is more time spent fighting and less time spent chasing. That principle applies, for all rules, of course; what may be preferable is expanding the play area based on how many planes are in play at the beginning of the game.

For me, playing a SPAD, I thought as I do on a mat with co-located players. I was close to the edge, but I let players (usually novice around here), ride the edge of the mat. Also, there are no 'edges' in the sky. However, the app obviously doesn't allow riding the edge. I would have been back in the play area at the end of my three maneuvers, if not mostly on the mat through my two turns, but the app flew me out of the game when I was partially over the edge.

I'm also not comfortable with altitude, but I will have to learn. This app probably adds in that extra +1 damage for higher altitude, too.
    Mike

The smaller play area does reduce the skill requirements for new players and available tactics for the speedy planes, literally leveling the playing field so maybe that's why they chose to tighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    For me, playing a SPAD, I thought as I do on a mat with co-located players. I was close to the edge, but I let players (usually novice around here), ride the edge of the mat. Also, there are no 'edges' in the sky.
    Yes, but there are enormous flocks of frightened birds surronding the the imaginary borders; they will hit your propeller and end you!

However, the app obviously doesn't allow riding the edge. I would have been back in the play area at the end of my three maneuvers, if not mostly on the mat through my two turns, but the app flew me out of the game when I was partially over the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    The smaller play area does reduce the skill requirements for new players and available tactics for the speedy planes, literally leveling the playing field so maybe that's why they chose to tighten it up.
    I'd recommend piling on Ace Skills: Acrobatic Pilot, Super Ace, Daredevil, Altitude Control. And, possibly avoiding the SPAD for dogfight formats. It is monstrous as a photographer plane. And, yeah, I think that all non-dogfights use a battlefield at least twice as large.

This app probably adds in that extra +1 damage for higher altitude, too.
    I hope so! It's a challenging feat to hit targets whlie you're messing with altitude; it demands compensation!

So far my one complaint is WAY too small "play area." Good implementation of the game mechanics, but it needs to give you more room to use 'em.

Playing on PC, by the way.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    So far my one complaint is WAY too small "play area." Good implementation of the game mechanics, but it needs to give you more room to use 'em.

Playing on PC, by the way.
    If you increase the number of planes does the playing surface increase?

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    I use it on my laptop.

For me, playing a SPAD, I thought as I do on a mat with co-located players. I was close to the edge, but I let players (usually novice around here), ride the edge of the mat. Also, there are no 'edges' in the sky. However, the app obviously doesn't allow riding the edge. I would have been back in the play area at the end of my three maneuvers, if not mostly on the mat through my two turns, but the app flew me out of the game when I was partially over the edge.

I'm also not comfortable with altitude, but I will have to learn. This app probably adds in that extra +1 damage for higher altitude, too.
    You swine you shot me down yesterday Mike

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Its great fun for peeps who never perhaps played the real game. My grandsonhas WG1 minis but its nice to be able to play at a distance with him from time to time. Plus his friends are now a little bit more interested in the "real " thing.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    No.

edit: oops, I guess it turns it landscape with a bunch of planes. But not bigger AFAIK.
    Last edited by malachi; 07-23-2022 at 11:43.

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    The Steam version is it, Windows & Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    The Steam version is it, Windows & Mac.
    Is there cross-compatibility with mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Is there cross-compatibility with mobile?
    I don't know.

Got mine on iPad... works brilliantly

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Yeah, Chris, I can tell!

(he whooped me)

Didn't try that, I'm sticking to solo play until I get back into some kind of fighting trim.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Yeah, Chris, I can tell!

(he whooped me)
    Can’t catch you on the leader board though, lol

Question for Andrea.... is the damage algorithm working the same as the cards only I have never seen so many wounded pilots cards and either I’m the unluckiest man on the planet or they have forgotten to put any zeros in the B deck, every shot seems to be an absolute killer...

Just bought Steam version for Windows, looks very cool!

Where can I share my username for adding you all as friends?

I asked for some friendshipness in game, Stefino is my nickname!

Quote Originally Posted by stefano.milani View Post
    I will add you Stefano

Question for Andrea.... is the damage algorithm working the same as the cards only I have never seen so many wounded pilots cards and either I’m the unluckiest man on the planet or they have forgotten to put any zeros in the B deck, every shot seems to be an absolute killer...
    I'm thinking... Not.

I got a '0' damage card, with a pilot wound. IIRC, there isn't any cards in any damage deck like that. Jams, yes.

I'm thinking there is a separate damage and special damage algorithm
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by stefano.milani View Post
    Just added you. And here also

I tried to play on a pohne and it is not optimal, display is too small.

In the app, I think that each damage card gets shuffled back into the deck after it is drawn. Although, that's a positive thing, IMO. One plane's gun jamming shouldn't make another's less likely to jam; that's a flaw within the physical game that the app fixes.
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 07-24-2022 at 13:35.

Suggestion re a "Post Your App Username Here" thread - is there a section of the board only viewable to members where we can do that?

I'm thinking... Not.

I got a '0' damage card, with a pilot wound. IIRC, there isn't any cards in any damage deck like that. Jams, yes.

This is an obvious bug. They made mistake in the card database. You can report it to Dire Wolf via the apple app store or straight on web.

So you took a bullet to save your mechanic time patching the plane.
    Very thoughtful of you Mike

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I'm thinking... Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    This is an obvious bug. They made mistake in the card database. You can report it to Dire Wolf via the apple app store or straight on web.
    Maybe yes, maybe no. It might be a design decision (a feature, as it were). Easier programing two separate "draws" for damage and crits?
    Karl

It absolutely can not be a design decision. Why? We have had it like that since the beginning
    There is no easy and hard programming, just bad programming. You cannot change a board game design just to have your life a bit easier for one day.

Still bloody good fun though.... just praying for more planes, especially the Bristol, obviously, although the Gotha, HP400 and Staaken would be amazing.... maybe even a Zeppelin !

Just talked to Andrea. He has already messaged them to check the cards.

Still bloody good fun though.... just praying for more planes, especially the Bristol, obviously, although the Gotha, HP400 and Staaken would be amazing.... maybe even a Zeppelin !
    Definitely would need a bigger playing area for the giants and Zeppelins.

I refuse to face a 2-seater in a game without altitude rules

I wish that blind spots were implemented. When we get 2-seaters that can Immelmann, I would also prefer if the the rule that prohibits them from firing at the same time as performing that maneuver be implemented.

B/B is better than A; I don't care what anyone says.
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 07-25-2022 at 10:57.

Most of us will say that a two seater is the best fighter.

If they've got B/B, and you've got A, then if you capture them in your arcs every time they do the same to you, then you're ahead, obviously. That's what people who will refute 2-seater-superiority will argue. Which I think is balderdash. I don't think that that can happen, except by chance. It's nearly a matter of a fraction of a degree/scale-milimeter. Nobody can predict someone else's maneuvers that well!

(except maybe Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Most of us will say that a two seater is the best fighter.
    Plus, I don’t think many 2-seaters from 1917-1918 could hold their own in a fight with a scout, except for the Brisfit.
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 07-25-2022 at 14:44.

Blimey if we had the Bristol I’d never be off the game, lol

I am convinced that Sniper is a necessity, if Ace Skills are allowed.
    I may have spoken too soon—Lucky Pilot is the bee's knees.

Lucky pilot keeps you in the fight a little longer.... my new favourite

Lucky pilot is the best 7 points spent for sure. Sadly I usually have to use it on the first shot as I tend to get a 4 point fire of a 5 point pilot hit!

Pilot Hit is devastating with altitude rules! And Engine Hit is a PITA, too. I'll take a 4-damage hit over one of them!

Lucky pilot keeps you in the fight a little longer.... my new favourite
    Lucky pilot is the best 7 points spent for sure. Sadly I usually have to use it on the first shot as I tend to get a 4 point fire of a 5 point pilot hit!

Had a few games now and received some pilot hits with twoseaters, but always the pilot not the spotter/reargunner was hit.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The real deal
    By matt56 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2019, 04:13
  2. The real reason we don't have T & T yet.
    By rhodie80 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-05-2019, 08:42
  3. Real ZERO
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 14:00
  4. My Birthday Too (the real one )
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 04:54
  5. Real Log Book