Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 201 to 236 of 236

Thread: Real Online WoG

  1. #201

    Default

    Was just about to say, forum's been kinda slow and sleepy for a while anyway without new product and with Aerodrome Accessories's demise.

    It's hard to keep your enthusiasm up when even your publisher can't seem to muster it themselves... and Ares' inability to maintain a schedule even in the best of times doesn't exactly help. Right now, if I was recommending how to proceed I'd say focus on getting balloons, Nieuports and a new German fighter out to relight the fires on WWI, then shelve the WWII replacements of lost tools and Guadalcanal and even the new bombers in favor of pushing out a cheap-pop un-themed fighters reprint to generate some cash flow.

    We need to get this game making some money again for it to not die on the table, what's the fastest and cheapest way with the assets that survived the journey between factories to give it a quick jolt of CPR then an IV-line of cashflow while we buy time for follow-up procedures to get the patient out of Critical Care?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (missing only T&T Starter Nieuport) | WWII (complete)

  2. #202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Maybe me, or, just coincidence but it seems that activity on the forum has dipped since the game went online.
    Although purchasing the iOS App and dipping in to play, I don’t enjoy it as much as the face to face gaming or even solo gaming with the minis. I find it more as a time-filler and a bit robotic in the way it plays and resolves fire, etc. I am surprised to see that Andrea has confirmed the manoeuvre decks are the same as in all the games I have played, it definitely seems that damage is a lot higher and seems to be leaning towards newer players and keeping them interested (I.e not keep drawing 0 damage cards).

    The game does need to have a boost with balloons or new minis reasonably priced to gain more interest again and possibly new planes too. Many have said that playing the online games have led to them buying RAP and plane packs which is good, now Ares needs to follow this up with new products or at the least, making manoeuvre packs available separately.

    With regard to the Forum, it is still a great place for info, chat, games and files. One thing I am finding is that as an AAR provider, the download of pictures, etc is taking me hours now rather than an hour when I started, with many server, freeze and parse errors causing no-end of delays and reinput of pictures etc and lost content. Can the new guardians look into this?

  3. #203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    lol, well, I didn't choose the Roland. The guy who set up the 4-player match launched and stuck me with AI wingmen, one of which was the Roland who proceeded to collide with everyone in sight.
    Think the upgunned Bristol comment was aimed at me, lol

    Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

  4. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    ...
    With regard to the Forum, it is still a great place for info, chat, games and files. One thing I am finding is that as an AAR provider, the download of pictures, etc is taking me hours now rather than an hour when I started, with many server, freeze and parse errors causing no-end of delays and reinput of pictures etc and lost content. Can the new guardians look into this?
    I am afraid we can not. As you noted, we are more guardians or "fillers" than programmers. There is a try how to get Keith back at least once or twice per year to fix these troubles (preview on Home Page is also a fin example). It is not easy, he has his own life pretty much out of the Aerodrome, but I still believe "few hours a year volunteering" can be a way for us.
    The other topic is complete migration to new (= not dead) system, but that is for absolutely different thread.

  5. #205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I am afraid we can not. As you noted, we are more guardians or "fillers" than programmers. There is a try how to get Keith back at least once or twice per year to fix these troubles (preview on Home Page is also a fin example). It is not easy, he has his own life pretty much out of the Aerodrome, but I still believe "few hours a year volunteering" can be a way for us.
    The other topic is complete migration to new (= not dead) system, but that is for absolutely different thread.
    This makes me start to wonder what's being done with our "premium membership" dues that are supposed to keep the place running...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (missing only T&T Starter Nieuport) | WWII (complete)

  6. #206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This makes me start to wonder what's being done with our "premium membership" dues that are supposed to keep the place running...
    Yea, good point!

  7. #207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Maybe me, or, just coincidence but it seems that activity on the forum has dipped since the game went online.
    Definitely the case for me. It's just a matter of budgeting the time that I devote to the hobby; I divide it betwixt this forum and the game itself. I've been giving the game more attention.

  8. #208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This makes me start to wonder what's being done with our "premium membership" dues that are supposed to keep the place running...
    Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Yea, good point!
    Yes, but in different thread. Let's stick here to online WoG.

  9. #209

    Default

    To my mind we are in a similar situation as we were when Nexus had gone belly up and the game was in survival mode. At that time it was kept alive and the fan base maintained largely by enthusiastic gamers purchasing Shapeways models, some excellent paint jobs showcased here and elsewhere etc. - essentially "DIY" new models. That was helped to a great extent by the ability to pick up the original boxed game sets and boosters to get additional manoeuvre decks, but thats a dwindling resource now. Which is a problem when you need these "official" items to make the game work

    So I think there are (at least) two routes to survival:

    1) Ares puts a great deal of investment into new and reprinted stock and keep it going
    2) The game becomes more "open architecture" with permission given for players to make their own manoeuvre decks (or even if some entrepreneur could make them under licence and sell them through Wargame Vault or similar)

    (1) would be great, but I suspect (2) is the more realistic route

    EDIT - a source of decent flight stands would be great as well. Any ideas?
    Last edited by David Manley; 08-17-2022 at 13:21.

  10. #210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    To my mind we are in a similar situation as we were when Nexus had gone belly up and the game was in survival mode. At that time it was kept alive and the fan base maintained largely by enthusiastic gamers purchasing Shapeways models, some excellent paint jobs showcased here and elsewhere etc. - essentially "DIY" new models. That was helped to a great extent by the ability to pick up the original boxed game sets and boosters to get additional manoeuvre decks, but thats a dwindling resource now. Which is a problem when you need these "official" items to make the game work

    So I think there are (at least) two routes to survival:

    1) Ares puts a great deal of investment into new and reprinted stock and keep it going
    2) The game becomes more "open architecture" with permission given for players to make their own manoeuvre decks (or even if some entrepreneur could make them under licence and sell them through Wargame Vault or similar)

    (1) would be great, but I suspect (2) is the more realistic route

    EDIT - a source of decent flight stands would be great as well. Any ideas?
    Totally agree Dave! All in all, a sad state of affairs and it seems to me the forum was the glue that gave us all hope.

  11. #211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    This makes me start to wonder what's being done with our "premium membership" dues that are supposed to keep the place running...
    Yes, that is a question that occurred to me as well. I don’t know who is best placed to answer this one.
    Last edited by Biggles downunder; 08-17-2022 at 19:19.

  12. #212

    Default

    I'll try to move your posts to appropriate thread when I'll be on PC, not just on phone. I see it as a relevant discussion, but I don't expect any major changes (because we see it from different perspectives even inide of moderator group & there are some relevant costs that needs to be funded anyway).

  13. #213

    Default

    Back to the video game, no update yet for Android users ! or if there is please direct me to it.


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  14. #214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

    EDIT - a source of decent flight stands would be great as well. Any ideas?
    Not to derail this topic any further, but I sold the rights to most of the Aerodrome Accessories products to our very own Evan of Rival Sky games. It is taking some time to get him up and running, but flight stands identical to the ones I used to sell should be available again in the near future.

  15. #215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Not to derail this topic any further, but I sold the rights to most of the Aerodrome Accessories products to our very own Evan of Rival Sky games. It is taking some time to get him up and running, but flight stands identical to the ones I used to sell should be available again in the near future.
    Good to know, and thanks for checking in. I tried to suggest to Ares that they should try to pick up some, particularly things used in Kickstarters and such.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (missing only T&T Starter Nieuport) | WWII (complete)

  16. #216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Not to derail this topic any further, but I sold the rights to most of the Aerodrome Accessories products to our very own Evan of Rival Sky games. It is taking some time to get him up and running, but flight stands identical to the ones I used to sell should be available again in the near future.
    Excellent news!

  17. #217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Totally agree Dave! All in all, a sad state of affairs and it seems to me the forum was the glue that gave us all hope.
    he glue that gives us all hope

  18. #218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Not to derail this topic any further, but I sold the rights to most of the Aerodrome Accessories products to our very own Evan of Rival Sky games. It is taking some time to get him up and running, but flight stands identical to the ones I used to sell should be available again in the near future.
    YAY!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  19. #219

    Default

    Well now, that is interesting news. Is he going to make the spinning props as well?

  20. #220

    Default

    That would be really cool if tournaments were a thing that the app facilitated...

  21. #221

    Default

    This tidbit might be a good addition to the front page of this forum:

    If your online game freezes, then go to Settings>Resign, then return to Online Match. If every participant of your game does likewise, then it should unfreeze it.

  22. #222

    Default

    So you are able to reenter the existing game after resigning?

  23. #223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    So you are able to reenter the existing game after resigning?
    From my experience, if the game is frozen, in the first phase, then yes.

  24. #224

    Default

    Can anyone explain the delayed bomb drop? I haven't been able to discern what (if any) combination of maneuvers or altitude levels elicit it, but sometimes, when I drop the bomb, it drops the phase after the phase that it is supposed to, and the bomb goes twice as far as normal. Is this a glitch or some rule that I'm not aware of?

  25. #225

    Default

    Are you dropping from Altitude 2?
    If not, it will travel extra distance for each level higher.

  26. #226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Can anyone explain the delayed bomb drop? I haven't been able to discern what (if any) combination of maneuvers or altitude levels elicit it, but sometimes, when I drop the bomb, it drops the phase after the phase that it is supposed to, and the bomb goes twice as far as normal. Is this a glitch or some rule that I'm not aware of?
    WoG Rulebook, Pages 37-38:

    When using Advanced Rules, the following rules apply:

    - If the airplane is at altitude 1, it cannot drop bombs.

    - If the airplane is at altitude 2 when it drops the bombs, they hit the ground immediately. Use the previous rules provided.

    - If the airplane is above altitude 2 when bombs are dropped, place one or more climb counters on the table with the bomb card. Place one counter if the altitdue is 3 or 4, two counters if it is 5-7, three counters if it is 8-11, and four counters if it is 12+.

    The bombs don't immediately hit the ground when placed on the table (and they are not removed) as they are still falling. In each subsequent movement step, the bombs are moved with the same maneuver card as when they were placed (Stall or Straight) and a counter is discarded. The bombs have no effect on any other card (target, ground units, or whatever) while they are falling. When you take away the last counter, the bombs hit the ground, with the previous listed effects.

    As a reminder of the speed of the bombs, place the counters along the front side of the bomb card if a straight maneuver card is used, or along the rear side if a stall maneuver card is used.
    Being a digital representation of the physical game, you won't see this, and may not realize it is being implemented 'behind the scene' as part of the game mechanics. If you try out different altitudes, you should see the effect, though. Having this handled for the player is nice, but could be disconcerting, if you don't know the actual rules.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  27. #227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Can anyone explain the delayed bomb drop? I haven't been able to discern what (if any) combination of maneuvers or altitude levels elicit it, but sometimes, when I drop the bomb, it drops the phase after the phase that it is supposed to, and the bomb goes twice as far as normal. Is this a glitch or some rule that I'm not aware of?
    This diagram gives a simple graphic explanation of bomb dropping at level 2. The chaps are right, of course, at level 2 the bomb will drop 1 card further on, off a straight, or, stall card, depending what manoeuvre was played when the bomb was released. (curve, straight, sideslip or a stall)
    At Alt 3 or 4 the bomb will drop 2 cards further on - as this is all the online game does that's all you need to be aware of.
    So, either you're dropping from Alt 3 & above, or, you expected the bomb to land right in front of the plane..?

    "He is wise who watches"

  28. #228

    Default

    Nice one Flash, I had forgotten about those diagrams

    Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

  29. #229

    Default

    That makes sense! Thanks!

  30. #230

    Default

    Has anyone been able to unlock the Tutorial and Challenge awards? I have completed everything butbeen awarded nothing

    Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

  31. #231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Has anyone been able to unlock the Tutorial and Challenge awards? I have completed everything but been awarded nothing
    Don't think anyone has, Chris.

    "He is wise who watches"

  32. #232

    Default

    I moved this from another thread:

    I finallymanaged to unlock the 'Close Call' achievement after winning dozens of missons with only 1 point remaining on 'any plane' of mine!

    Seems the requirements are more specific than it says in the description.

    Scenario: I was doing a solo 'Bullets in the Trenches' scenario and ended up with the only surviving plane (out of an initial 6) that only had 1 HP left. So I think that is the criteria, you have to have the last remaining plane and it must only have 1 HP? Just winning with any plane with 1 HP, as the achievement states, doesn't actually trigger it. Also I had not managed to destroy all the ground targets.

    So the description should read something like: Win a scenario/game with only one remaining plane with 1 HP after destroying all enemy planes (Ground targets do not count).

    Has anyone else unlocked this one?

  33. #233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Has anyone been able to unlock the Tutorial and Challenge awards? I have completed everything butbeen awarded nothing
    Same here. Unlocked them early on but nothing happened.

  34. #234

    Default

    Eh, I would prefer the developers work on a couple of other issues. I had a game yesterday with 8 collisions: 6 of them cause by the wonky AI.

  35. #235

    Default

    Does anyone know if Dire Wolf is aware of the existence of this forum? I don't expect them to create an account here (although that would be nice), but even if they lurked here, now and then, I think that that would give them a much better understanding of what WGF fans want, which would be of benefit to everyone.

  36. #236

    Default

    I think I mentioned it in their Steam forum.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (missing only T&T Starter Nieuport) | WWII (complete)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345


Similar Missions

  1. The real deal
    By matt56 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2019, 04:13
  2. The real reason we don't have T & T yet.
    By rhodie80 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-05-2019, 08:42
  3. Real ZERO
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 14:00
  4. My Birthday Too (the real one )
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 04:54
  5. Real Log Book
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 00:55

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •