Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Real Online WoG

I've seen the tailgunner hit plenty of times; it definitely happens!

Flying a D.VII and getting a Pilot wound sucks. It takes out almost all the maneuver advantages of the deck. If you can't shoot on a steep, then selecting them to get guns on target is a waste.

I haven't played enough with two seaters to remember who, if anyone, has been hit.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-05-2022 at 20:59.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Anyone finding the IOS App very resource hungry on iPad battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Flying a D.VII and getting a Pilot wound sucks. It takes out almost all the maneuver advantages if the deck. If you can't shoot on a steep, then selecting them To get guns on target is a waste.

I haven't played enough with two seaters to remember who, if anyone, has been hit.
    Really?

The D.VII has only the two short steep turns which no other deck has - plus the climb, dive and stall (only one stall, not two as in all other decks) which are present in every other deck.
    All the other cards are non-steep, so won't be affected by a Pilot Wound.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Anyone get any response at all from Dire Wolf after submitting Feedback? I've sent over half a dozen items including bugs in the game (besides suggestions) without a peep.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Anyone get any response at all from Dire Wolf after submitting Feedback? I've sent over half a dozen items including bugs in the game (besides suggestions) without a peep.
    You could try sending them a private message on Facebook or Twitter.

I noticed an improvement of the game (the most obvious is probably bigger chat icon), so I guess they're working on it. And Honza confirmed a reaction too.

Just did 2v2 bullets in the mud. Andrea survived despite drawing 32 ‘A’ damage cards! That must be a world record!

He even caught on fire at least once! I think that that confirms that each card is shuffled back into the deck after it is drawn.

We didn’t use the Boom card.
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 07-31-2022 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Just did 2v2 bullets in the mud. Andrea survived despite drawing 32 ‘A’ damage cards! That must be a world record!

He even caught on fire at least once! I think that that confirms that each card is shuffled back into the deck after it is drawn.

32 hits in a dogfight is incredible! What amazing luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    32 hits in a dogfight is incredible! What amazing luck.
    Wow, that's nuts! The most I've ever seen is a N17 take 21 damage cards.

I have played enough games to now have no doubt in my mind that Ground Units give out 0's at least twice as often as planes.

I wish that people would be kicked from the Room if they didn't Ready Up within a reasonable amount of time. No hard feelings, of course; life happens and technology fails. It's just an unnecessary waste of time.

https://youtu.be/Krz9qY9vctU

I think that is the public link to one dogfight I had from start to finish. It is a much quicker game than doing if on the the tabletop but still fun.

Looks like you drew a boom card...

https://youtu.be/Krz9qY9vctU

I think that is the public link to one dogfight I had from start to finish. It is a much quicker game than doing if on the the tabletop but still fun.
    OK, having seen this, I need to get in. Good bye free time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Why isn't Kissenberth's Camel available for the CP?! I call foul!

I'm looking forward to some old school planes, i.e.: Moraine-Saulnier, Fokker E.III, Airco DH.2, etc., just for the sake of playing lower point games. A lot of people are salty about the Roland C.II.

.. A lot of people are salty about the Roland C.II.
    With that extended rear arc it was the über players plane of choice from the day it came out, two guns on when you come in at an angle, no real need to get it pointing at the target. The Hannover played as it should be is better as it can Immel & has 90 turns.
    The Cotton & Betts DH4 with A/B front guns (aka 'star destroyer' locally) has taken the mantle a little, though the similarly up-gunned Brisfit played with alt and the extended rear arc it should have ought to be the real 'go to' now.
    Eh, Chris.. !
    Last edited by flash; 08-05-2022 at 01:43. Reason: spelling

"He is wise who watches"

I wish that people would be kicked from the Room if they didn't Ready Up within a reasonable amount of time. No hard feelings, of course; life happens and technology fails. It's just an unnecessary waste of time.
    It took someone in chat to tell me to 'Ready Up' after I had seleceted my plane and pilot, and 'Added' it. I didn't know, initially, that I had to reconfirm my selection. I still forget, on occassion, cause it isn't, to me, intuitive to have to reconfirm the choice.

Then, I played a game where I could chose more than one plane...

I will still probably forget to Ready Up in the future... be gentle.
    Mike

Now, voice chat...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Eh, Chris.. !
    lol, well, I didn't choose the Roland. The guy who set up the 4-player match launched and stuck me with AI wingmen, one of which was the Roland who proceeded to collide with everyone in sight.

I honestly have no problem with people forgetting, nor even having to remind someone to Ready Up before every single game. I just mean waiting several minutes, because they decided that they didn't want to play, and just turned off their device, instead of leaving the room, or something. Also, other people, waiting for a game in the lobby, miss out, unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    It took someone in chat to tell me to 'Ready Up' after I had seleceted my plane and pilot, and 'Added' it. I didn't know, initially, that I had to reconfirm my selection. I still forget, on occassion, cause it isn't, to me, intuitive to have to reconfirm the choice.

Then, I played a game where I could chose more than one plane...

I will still probably forget to Ready Up in the future... be gentle.

I've said it more than once, and I'm sure I'll say it some more after this: Blind-Spots should be in effect, at least with the Advanced Rules. When we get planes with observers that can Immelmann, I also think that the rule that prohibits those planes from firing before/during/after that manuever should be in effect. I have no problem with also respecting the 360-degree firing arc that several of these planes enjoy against enemies above them.

With that extended rear arc it was the über players plane of choice from the day it came out, two guns on when you come in at an angle, no real need to get it pointing at the target. The Hannover played as it should be is better as it can Innmel & has 90 turns.
    The Cotton & Betts DH4 with A/B front guns (aka 'star destroyer' locally) has taken the mantle a little, though the similarly up-gunned Brisfit played with alt and the extended rear arc it should have ought to be the real 'go to' now.
    Eh, Chris.. !
    I disagree that the Hannover is better than the Roland—the Roland doesn't have to Immelmann, or turn 90-degrees, to capture you within its arc. And, of course, it's not unusual for the Roland to capture you in both of its arcs. Now, with Blindspot rules, I may be inclined to agree, because the Hannover's "Biplanar Tail" prevents it from having one.

I don't think that Roland C.II dominance is exactly historically inaccurate, however. If I'm not mistaken, that sucker was in service longer than any other plane; c. 1915-1918.
    Last edited by Killer Moth; 08-04-2022 at 09:37.

Every game I've played has had multiple Boom and/or fire and/or pilot wounds-including some pilot wounds with a 0 numerical damage. Hm...

The Hannover played as it should be is better as it can Immel & has 90 turns.
    I disagree that the Hannover is better than the Roland—the Roland doesn't have to Immelmann, or turn 90-degrees, to capture you within its arc. And, of course, it's not unusual for the Roland to capture you in both of its arcs. Now, with Blindspot rules, I may be inclined to agree, because the Hannover's "Biplanar Tail" prevents it from having one.

I don't think that Roland C.II dominance is exactly historically inaccurate, however. If I'm not mistaken, that sucker was in service longer than any other plane; c. 1915-1918.
    The Hannover CL.II and III, when "played as it should be" as Dave put it, has the exact same fire arcs as the Roland C.II (it had an identically-placed high observer gun turret) - the 'Ares' base and card are not historically correct.
    The same inaccuracy can be found for the Halberstadt CL.II and the Bristol F.2b.

The Hannover also has the "Immelmann" AND 90 degree turns in addition to the Roland arcs, plus one extra damage point, and has no same-level rear blind spot.

As for Service life of the Roland C.II, I'm afraid you are mistaken - combat service from April 1916 to April 1917 only; service after this was Training units only, through into 1918.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	German_B+C_Chart Hi Res.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	317929

With that extended rear arc it was the über players plane of choice from the day it came out, two guns on when you come in at an angle, no real need to get it pointing at the target. The Hannover played as it should be is better as it can Innmel & has 90 turns.
    Eh, Chris.. !
    I dream of having an upgunned Bristol on here, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

If/when we get Otto Parschau's Fokker E.IV, with the AB armament, it will be the happiest day of my life. I wouldn't care if I lost every game that I played with it; its inherent quaintness is enough to bring me endless joy. Although, I wouldn't complain if I could also equip it with Le Prieur rockets, incendiary bullets, and flechettes...

If/when we get Otto Parschau's Fokker E.IV, with the AB armament, it will be the happiest day of my life. I wouldn't care if I lost every game that I played with it; its inherent quaintness is enough to bring me endless joy. Although, I wouldn't complain if I could also equip it with Le Prieur rockets, incendiary bullets, and flechettes...
    As long as its deck gets progressively downgraded with each additional bit of crap you load onto it...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I dream of having an upgunned Bristol on here, lol
    How could I have not guessed that one was coming Chris.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

...I disagree that the Hannover is better than the Roland—the Roland doesn't have to Immelmann, or turn 90-degrees, to capture you within its arc. And, of course, it's not unusual for the Roland to capture you in both of its arcs. Now, with Blindspot rules, I may be inclined to agree, because the Hannover's "Biplanar Tail" prevents it from having one...
    I see Tim has already pointed out what I meant by 'played as it should be' - so I will point you to the FAQ/POI sticky that will lead you to the source discussions and quotes on rules from the designer:
    Andrea:- This is the rule I wrote in the next, still unpublished official supplement:
    Roland C.II/C.IIa, Bristol F2B Fighter, Halberstadt CL.II, Hannover CL.IIIa - altitude and arc's of fire.
    This rule can be used if the altitude rules are also in use. These planes have higher rear machine guns that can be turned 360°: use the arc of fire on the card/base with the blind spot for targets at the same or lower altitude but their rear machine guns can ignore both the blind spot and the firing arc when firing at targets at higher altitude..."
    It should be noted that these machines rear guns also have a wider arc at targets on the same level similar to that of the Roland C.II ie anywhere but their machines front firing arc.
    So, the Hannover, Brisfit & Halberstadt tandems will be as deadly, if not more so than the trusty old Roland and, hopefully, when the still unpublished official supplement is finally published it will still contain this info.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for that Dave, think I need some more Bristols...

So, help for the hard of thinking please? I've got the Ares code but can't see where to apply it inside Steam.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Grab (copy) your activation code from e-mail or other communiccation route.

Login to your steam account

Go to the Games menu (should be top left)

Drop-down menu should allow "activate a product" option

The rest of your menu should walk through the process-you can paste the previously-copied activation code.

You may or may not have to confirm this activation from your e-mail account, IDK if they do two-factor authentication.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    So, help for the hard of thinking please? I've got the Ares code but can't see where to apply it inside Steam.
    I had the same problem. It took many attempts to finally found a page with the option to enter the code. Damned if I can remember how to find it.

Thanks Sam, now for hours of mindless entertainment
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

It should be noted that these machines rear guns also have a wider arc at targets on the same level similar to that of the Roland C.II ie anywhere but their machines front firing arc.
    Wow. If I'm reading that right, then that means that those planes have an even wider rear arc than the Roland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doubleseater - F70R146.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	317948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ala Roland - F70R260.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	317949

Think that suggestion is for convenience, you don't have to mark the card or the base to be able to play it. Basically it was to prevent them shooting off their own prop when firing on the level. Many machines had hoops of similar fitting to stop the gun swinging into that arc, though not evident in all photos.

Will be interesting to see if it's in the new book as and when it comes out.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Thanks Sam, now for hours of mindless entertainment
    Yes & Yes, Gunners..!

"He is wise who watches"

Add your online game handle to the Digital Handle thread chaps

"He is wise who watches"

Love it!

So, technically, the Hannover CL.IIIA cards are correct; they just need to be "frosted," south of the firing arc!

Think that suggestion is for convenience, you don't have to mark the card or the base to be able to play it. Basically it was to prevent them shooting off their own prop when firing on the level. Many machines had hoops of similar fitting to stop the gun swinging into that arc, though not evident in all photos.

Given the fact that it never flew in combat, could barely fly at all, and kept shooting it's prop off,
    that's a plane that never should be in the game.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Given the fact that it never flew in combat, could barely fly at all, and kept shooting it's prop off,

Karl
    Ah, not so!

The latest Aeronaut book on Early Fokker Fighters positively identifies Gustav Leffers' Fokker E.IV as a triple-gun machine, flown in combat for a couple of months at least.

And you complain about my upgunned Bristols....

C'est ton opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post

Karl

This firing arc stuff reminds me ..... I still (but very very rarely) take to the PC skies in Wings over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell II (the game designer loves short game names) and if you take the early BE2 up for a flight and take a shuftie at the cockpit the observer has his trusty .303 rifle pointing at the pilots head! The gunner sat in front of the pilot in that magnificent war plane. He had a very limited firing arc

This firing arc stuff reminds me ..... I still (but very very rarely) take to the PC skies in Wings over Flanders Fields Between Heaven and Hell II (the game designer loves short game names) and if you take the early BE2 up for a flight and take a shuftie at the cockpit the observer has his trusty .303 rifle pointing at the pilots head! The gunner sat in front of the pilot in that magnificent war plane. He had a very limited firing arc
    Personally, I'd rather use a grappling hook.

Does the music for the game remind anyone else of this?

Trivial not, they used the wrong C/N on the red and green Tripe. It should be 152/17, not the fatal-flight 425/17.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Maybe me, or, just coincidence but it seems that activity on the forum has dipped since the game went online.

"He is wise who watches"

Eh, activity seems to drop off around this time of year anyway. But yes, I've been spending a lot of time with the on-line game, and a bunch of other 'drome members have, as well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. The real deal
    By matt56 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-18-2019, 04:13
  2. The real reason we don't have T & T yet.
    By rhodie80 in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-05-2019, 08:42
  3. Real ZERO
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 14:00
  4. My Birthday Too (the real one )
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 04:54
  5. Real Log Book