Ares Games

Thread: Is Dambusters a solo scenario?

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Default Is Dambusters a solo scenario?

Though the glory of the internets, I just received my Lancaster Dambuster set. In the scenario descriptions, it gives no options for Axis flyers. Are you just flying against the dams, or are you supposed to use the point system for a second player? Granted, they would only have a single Bf109, but still.
    Last edited by JamesF; 06-28-2022 at 15:42.

From the accounts I have read there were some fighters about on the flight to and from the dams but not at the dams. There was flak though so you could delegate a player as flak manager.

All the rules in the Lancaster Special Pack are for how to do the bombing run. It is pretty focused on that, specific to Dam Busting.

Anything else a player or players want to throw into the mix is up to them. The Rules and Accessories Pack already covers all the other rules you need for intercepting planes.

Oh! Perhaps not? I forgot there isn't official rules for night fighting, yet.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Note that the Official DAMBUSTER RULES by Ares Games contains a few issues.
    Here is a review of the corrections checked by Ares :
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...nd-corrections

You may add fighters defending the dam to play a two players game.
    But it would be more balanced to remove some AA guns, as the 4 of them planned in the scenarios can be deadly.

A complete AAR with many pictures of a Dambuster solo game, including deadly AA guns :
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-THE-MOHNE-DAM

Quote Originally Posted by monse View Post
    ..You may add fighters defending the dam to play a two players game. But it would be more balanced to remove some AA guns, as the 4 of them planned in the scenarios can be deadly...
    Would applying the solitaire AA rule they have in WGF help with that Simon ? Only draw damage for AA when the pilot draws a special damage on an A chit ? It might lessen their impact and replicate difficulties of firing at night; players can all fly the bombing mission then as a co-operative game rather than adversarial one.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It might lessen their impact and replicate difficulties of firing at night.
    There is an optional Night Attack rule in the Dambuster leaflet and it works quite well.

Note : « The AA gun only takes half damage from attacks by the airplane »
    (you have to halve the points amount indicated in the damage chit. If it’s an odd number, you have to round it up. Example : A 3 damages chit inflicts 2 points (1.5 rounded up). A 1 damage chit inflicts 1 point (0.5 rounded up)).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDAAC6F9-F4D6-4606-B341-5722FE29442E.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	316525
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD7395CE-E592-45A6-A6D8-8390E307F3B5.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	316526

James, have a look on this Dumbuster thread. It describes Sven's famous mission from Prague 2015. I had the pleasure to play it and I can imagine it as a solo variant as well (easily, I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    James, have a look on this Dumbuster thread. It describes Sven's famous mission from Prague 2015. I had the pleasure to play it and I can imagine it as a solo variant as well (easily, I guess).
    Thanks for that link, Dan.

Great job, Sven - REP sent (7 years late )

I have 3 Dambuster Lancs - hope to get this to the table sometime in the next year.

Similar Missions

1. Solo: WGF IF05 - Balloon Busting Brumowski (WGF historical scenario for solo play)
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2016, 05:32
  2. Solo AAR: A Lonely Sentinel - Balloon Buster scenario
    By Roland19 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 14:04
  3. Look Up! - Burning Drachens Solo Scenario Battle Report
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 19:11
  4. First Battle Report Post - Fireworks Over The Front Solo Scenario
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 03:55
  5. Assault to the armoured train (solo scenario)
    By Gravitypool in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 04:17