Ares Games

Thread: AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT RULE ISSUE

Default AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT RULE ISSUE

I have practised a lot automatic movement for solo games since the pandemic situation and I have noticed that the automatic movement rules may contain an issue.
    (WOG WW2 2012 Battle of Britain set rulebook, page 42)

Multi-Engine Bombers or two-seaters :
    "For each multi-engine bomber randomly flown remove the following cards : the climb, all the dives, and the Immelmann turn. ../.. Each time the discard pile contains 1 turn to the right and 1 turn to the left, shuffle them back to the maneuver deck with any straights and stall ; If there is another turn or if there are sideslips in the discard pile, leave them in the discard pile. Any time the discard pile contains 1 sideslip to the right and 1 sideslip to the left, shuffle them back to the maneuver deck with any straights and stall ; If there is another sideslip or if there are turns in the discard pile, leave them in the discard pile.".

The pictures below show Multiengines using 7 different maneuver decks :
    XA (Heinkel 111), XB (B.25 Mitchell), XC (Boeing B.17), XD (Avro Lancaster), XE/XF (Junkers 88 A-1 / A-4), U/Y (Dornier 17 Z-2 / Z-10), I (Junkers 87 Stuka).
    Pretending the cards are randomly chosen but choosing them in the case the order or the maneuver cards make the plane exit the game surface. The low speed is selected for every maneuver (XE/XF decks low speed are equal, as for U/Y decks low speed) :
    Even when starting in the middle of the length (49 cm from a side) of a playing mat (length 98 cm), each plane may leave the mat or be on the edge before shuffling back 1 turn to the right and 1 turn to the left.
    About the Boeing B.17, the next maneuver after the shuffling back makes it exit the mat.

Moreover, the game is usually played in the length of the mat (enemy sides facing each other in the length of the mat), so with more chances to leave the playing surface than on the pictures, even if the bomber starts at the middle of the width of the mat (68/2 = 34 cm).

Suggestion : now, I personally use only 1 turn to the right and 1 turn to the left and keep all the other maneuver cards in automatic mode and remove all other turns card. But I keep every sideslips if playing with 2 seaters.
    I shuffle all the cards when they are all played.

Actually, in automatic mode, the Multiengine / two seaters mission is to cross the length of 1 or 2 mats, making small evasive maneuvers (designated by the 1 turn to the right and 1 turn to the left).

I informed Andrea Angiolino about the automatic rule issue and suggested my proposal. Here is his answer :
    “One solution could be shifting everything sideway so that the bomber is still on the table. Using one curve per side is also a possible solution, even if it makes the movement of the bomber quite more obvious.”
    Actually, his first suggestion means that the shifting sideway could be permanent during all the game and this leads to a loss of precision for all the planes shifted.
    I definitely prefer to keep one turn per side.

This issue is also valid for the WW1 version.

I do the same. One turn in each direction only. All other cards in. (treat climbs and dives as stalls and straights or remove them) I let AI planes have more than one steep back to back. That's their way of being tricky!
    Shuffle the deck and play it out. Reshuffle when needed.

Similar Missions

1. AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT RULE ISSUE
    By monse in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2023, 11:49
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2022, 13:14
  3. CHASING THE BEASTS (attacks of Staaken flying in automatic mode)
    By monse in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2021, 08:21
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2015, 05:01
  5. Bf-109 Prop issue
    By Aezeroth in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 05:22