Ares Games

Thread: Storage for cards

Default Storage for cards

After being dissatisfied with the layout of the original WoW box sets and putting up with it for a while, I have decided to have a go at some custom storage. The aim is to combine into one box and to have easy access to aircraft and manoeuvre cards without having to pick up a whole pile and sort through them (which the original boxes require). Here is the plan. Not sure where to put the range rulers... Maybe on top of the damage decks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	315553

Dome, do you know the trick with Codenames boardgame box? There is an insert right for it and it fits perfectly for WoW/WoG.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with, Dom. Storage is a challenge all on its own

Depending on how many planes you need to accommodate, there are lots of options. Some folks use Plano-type boxes effectively. After some trial and error, I settled on: this solution and have been very happy with it.

Dom is Cards Only, Chris - no planes need accommodating!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yep, still resisting the miniatures!

Oops, no problem! Apologies. You have more willpower than me

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Oops, no problem! Apologies. You have more willpower than me
    ...and YOU have more willpower than ME!

Dom, I think Daniel’s suggestion with Codenames board game inserts might be worth checking out. I wasn’t aware of them until Daniel’s post but their website looks impressive.

Lightbulb

I even found my own post about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Storage of Minis
    I am using Feldherr Pick and Pluck foams in combination with their bags for them.
    There is even a very old How To article "How to make a box for minis from Deluxe Set" about it (in those times I had very few minis so I could use original DeLuxe Set box.

Storage of maneuvre decks and bases
    Originaly I have all decks in thick foam inside the bag with my minis, but they started to be quite heavy for foam and I also need more space for my tiny preci...uhm, minis. Ladinek,LGS owner, came with an idea that our cards fits perfectly into boxfrom Codenames box and there are also a special wooden insert for it. Works very well I must say!

Organizing of card decks
    Soon I had a big trouble with finding a proper deck between others, so I created special set of stripes for the game. There are four types: WGF, WGF with bases, WGS and WGS with bases. There are also How To articles for plain version and version with bases.

Others
    I have also a fine experience with "Tim's" KR Multicases that I use for my SoG collection (with a backpack) + they really helped me with my questions and with designing what I should buy (= high level of client service). I can recommend them? A+

Post Scriptum: I can not take a photo or two right now (my colection is simply elsewhere), but I will upload photos later. Some of them are in linked How To articles.
    And there is Kubajs's photo with pure white box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kubajs View Post
    Tak sice se zpozdenim, ale tady je foto.

Attachment 260790
    There is one important note to remind
    We in Prague Flight are meeting in LGS and need to transport our stuff with us. There is a good public transportation system in Prague, so we use metro or trams most of the time, so it is necessaty to carry it in hand or in backpack. I can imagine it could be even easier if you are playing at home or use a car all the time.

Anyway, I share the strong need to have all the cards organized and minimize boxes as much as possible. Also fell a sympathy for Dom, who has so strong will to resist miniatures.

Ooo, the codenames insert does look nice. I was intending to do everything on the cheap though, so we'll see...

Work in progress. I spent the princely sum of Ł4 for a sheet of foam core. The "case" is an old laptop box.

Name:	IMG_20220617_124927544.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	315804

Well, that'll do!

Looks good. Use hot glue for the separators, it is easy to remove yet it holds it all firmly together,

Late to this discussion, but my 5 cents.

Name:	WhiteBox2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	319801

The deck strips are customized, but sourced from here: Strips for card decks (WWI)

PS: This box currently holds all the contents of two sets of Nexus boxes: Famous Aces; Watch Your Back; Burning Drachens; Flight of the Giants; Balloon Busters; and a few booster packs. It holds all the counters and a bunch of range rulers, as well. Note: Not the Bomber base and management cards, nor the ballloon base cards.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-05-2022 at 09:00.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Yep, still resisting the miniatures!
    Now that's just not normal! Ooor is it?????

That a nice box Mike. My problem was wanting to get the bomber cards in as well, which meant I had to go custom.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc206 View Post
    Now that's just not normal! Ooor is it?????
    No, it's not normal...round here...!

I had a rethink and decided to keep the original boxes but make new inserts for them to make it easier to find specific aircraft and decks. I now store predominantly A firing aircraft, their corresponding manoeuvre decks and a double A damage deck in the Famous Aces box and the B firing cards in the Watch Your Back box. Each aircraft type lives next to it's manoeuvre deck, so it is easy to find everything in theory. The Burning Drachens box contains the AA guns, balloons and C & D damage decks. Flight of the Giants is for the giants and their associated bombs, targets and manoeuvre decks.

Name:	IMG_20230116_143719513~2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	322432

Dom - I really like your repurposing of the WOW/WOG boxes for storage by aircraft type

That is pretty darn cool! Nice!

Similar Missions

1. storage
    By itchy in forum Polls
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-02-2024, 02:17
  2. Storage for Single seat Minis and their cards
    By Zoe Brain in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2017, 02:35
  3. WGF WTS ace & skill cards promo and ace career cards promo OR WTB kickstarter ace cards
    By gr3yh47 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2017, 07:20
  4. National: Storage for cards and bases
    By Sagrilarus in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 17:19
  5. Storage
    By Canestri10 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 18:45