Ares Games

Thread: North vs South, edge vs side

Default North vs South, edge vs side

Question: how do you interpret scenario descriptions that use terminology like "edge" and "side" or "north" and "south"? E.g. PF01 scenario in downloads has the Central powers starting on the south edge and the entente on the north edge. So is the north/south edge the long edge or the short edge of the table?
    Similarly, Flight of the Giants Bomb london scenario mentions the German side and the allied side and the "left side"...

I work on the pinciple that if you put two mats together long sides together, then Brits to the left of me (East) Germans to the right of me- sorted

It's not clear in PF01, Dom, the size given is that of a single Wog mat; he may have left it up to you to play it how you like. The objective is to kill or drive the enemy off the mat so compass orientation doesn't seem to come into it other than putting a name the start positions. Your best bet if you want a definitive answer is to message Carl_Brisgamer as he's the author.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks. My question was more general: do people play opposite sides on the long axis or the short axis of the table? In many scenarios it will affect the difficulty/balance.

For instance in this scenario from Burning Drachens it will make it easier to bomb the target and get back if you don't have so far to travel...yet I can't see it specified which orientation the table should be...

Gaming Surface: Length: 150 cm. Width: 99 cm.
    German Player: Two AA guns at one ruler’s length from the German side, each one at a ruler’s distance from the left or right side of the playing area. Place a target card one ruler of distance from the center of the German side. Place an Albatros D.III in the middle of the German side.

Generally I think most people using WoG mats place them long side to long side and play across the join as that is the longest axis.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

What defines my play is the orientation of No mans land on the official mat.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Generally I think most people using WoG mats place them long side to long side and play across the join as that is the longest axis.
    I know I'm coming into this late but I agree with Dave. You generally fight ACROSS the divide, which also typically defines the North/South axis, placing the Entente players edge West and Central Powers edge East (unless you're in Russia!).

Ok, but my question is which side is the long edge of the table, not whether we should play north-south or east-west...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonfrog View Post
    Ok, but my question is which side is the long edge of the table, not whether we should play north-south or east-west...

it all kinds of the table set up. whatevers most convenient for the players.

Similar Missions

1. Need a side by side pic of a Staaken and a Barrage Balloon.
    By Sgt. in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-12-2020, 10:06
  2. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 10:28
  3. This place has started to lose its edge as of late...
    By Bartman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 17:13
  4. South of England / South East get-together
    By Archidamus in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 04:22