Ares Games

Thread: Sun Direction and Aerial Combat

Default Sun Direction and Aerial Combat

Sorry if this has been covered already, I've made several searches on the subject but haven't had much success and I've been rolling some ideas around in my head.

Does anyone have house rules for sun direction and its effect on air combat? I haven't quite worked it out, but my initial concept would be to create a 2 inch/5 centimeter yellow disc to use as the "sun" and position it on the perimeter of the playing mat. In general, any plane that finds the disc in its (unlimited) firing arc cannot fire at a target.

In addition, plane inclination would play a role. Early or late in the day, a climbing plane could still fire, at other times only a diving plane could fire.

Maybe this is just complicating things. But every time I find myself driving with the sun in my eyes, it strikes me as something as important to simulate as altitude.
    Last edited by Savoir Faire; 05-31-2022 at 07:55.

Hi Max.
    I know that this has been extensivly covered somewhere and am sure that one of our pilots will tell you the actual thread.
    No need for a disc.
    Imagine that the sun is in the south of your board. If you were in a car driving south, it would not effect your view of the Sun no matter how far to the west or east you were for several hundred miles, it would still be in your eyes unless you turned onto a different heading, so for gaming purposes anyone coming from the south will be in the eye of the Sun. As the Sun moves West you could use your time of day rule for the setting sun.
    However, don't forget it is your rules and you may do as you wish as long as the other players agree.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Take a look at this 2016 post in a 2009 thread, Max, might shed some light on your ideas !
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post409855

Another old thread
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...g-from-the-sun

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. The best dogfight/ aerial combat on screen.
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2021, 19:39
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2020, 18:00
  3. AIRFLIX - another new WW2 aerial combat game Kickstarter
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-10-2018, 19:56
  4. Top Ten Movie Aerial Combat Sequences
    By BB401 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26