Ares Games

Thread: AERODROME NEWS

Default AERODROME NEWS

As most of you will have seen, I have tried to bring our front page a bit more up to date (as I suddenly realised it wasn’t 2017 anymore). If you have any newsworthy announcements or events, please let me know and I will look at publishing it on the front page. Feedback and comments, thoughts and suggestions all welcome.

And if anyone knows how to amend/delete the ‘Upcoming Releases’ section, let me know...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Lightbulb

I was thinking about it for a while and...

...for UK GAMES EXPO I find interesting the "huge" WGF Battle of Birmingham should works on Battle Royale system [no direct experience with system, (personally) little skeptical, but it is something new and could be interesting].

...for WGF Upcoming Releases:
    1. Caquot M/Ae800 Balloons (two colours)
    2. Nieuport 16

...for WGS Upcoming Releases (probably in this order):
    1. Bristol Blenheim
    2. Savoia-Marchetti SM.79
    3. Battle of Midway Starter Set
    4. Bell P-39 Airacobra
    5. Lockheed P-38 Lightning
    6. Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa
    7. Vought F4U Corsair

I propose not to write there release dates - we all know why. Almost all minis mentioned abowe are confirmed on official Ares Site (Balloons and WGS bombers) or on official WoG FB page (WGS Airplanes Packs). Not sure if Midway Starter Set was officially announced

What do you think about it, Chris?

PS: I propose to delete a Quote brackets from A Full Year of Events article - I guess the system would see it as a regular, not quoted, article and show it compact on the Home page will possibility to open to full size.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-31-2022 at 05:45.

And just to think that your editor in chief started out as a pup reporter on the "Sniper's Times."

More power to your arm Chris, and thanks for taking this on.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think you should find room for Top Gun Maverick on there somewhere. I think it might become an ARES add on.

I know that there is an Origins thread with the schedule. I am sure it his buried in the forum somewhere. It would be nice to add it to the news on June 6 to add some visibility to the events.

Correction,

In the reporting for duty section.

Not the first place I would look.
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 05-30-2022 at 16:14.

Here is the Origins schedule posted by Jim a while back. It would be easier for those interested to find this in the news for sure.

2022 Origins Schedule

Wednesday

12:00 pm Learn to fly wings of Glory WW I & II Peter Landry

12:00 pm Gothas over London WWI Jim O’Neil

3:00 pm Into Shark Tank WWI Karl Envoy

3:00 pm Holland 1940 WWII Peter Landry

Thursday

9:00 am Guadalcanal WWII Peter Landry

10:00 am Nieuport 28s vs Fokker D.VIIs WWI Bill Weber

12:00 am Attack of the Cuckoos! WWI Karl Envoy

12:00 am Cabbage Crates over the Briney WWII Jim O’Neil

3:00 pm Barge Busting in New Guinea. WWII Glenn Francis

3:00 pm Martians on the Rampage Tripods & Triplanes Peter Landry

4:00 pm Lafayette Escadrille saves the Balloons WWI Jim O’Neil

Friday

9:00 am Welcome to Bomber School WWI Ray Garbee

9:00 am The Thunderbolts are Coming WWII Karl Envoy

9:00 Harbor Raid Sails of Glory Peter Landry

1:00 pm Bombing Mission WWI Bill Weber

1:00 Protect the Grain Convoy Sails of Glory Peter Landry

4;00 Raid on Otranto WWI Ray Garbee

4:00 Mother, Jugs, and Speed WWII Glenn Francis

Saturday

9:00 am Stop the U-Boat WWI Ray Garbee

9:00 am Raid on Madang WWII Peter Landry

12:00 pm End of the Fokker Scourge WWI Jim O’Neil

1:00 pm The Sky Darkens WWI Peter Landry

3:00 pm Schlachtflieger Attack WWI Karl Envoy

3:00 pm Corsairs vs. ME 109s in Norway WWII Glenn Francis

7;00 pm Harry P. Matrene III Memorial Tournament WWI Peter Landry & Jim O’Neil

Sunday

10:00 am USAS Nieuport 28s Vs. Jasta Boelke WWI Peter Landry

12;00 pm Royal Naval Air Service to the Rescue WWI Jim O’Neil

I’ll see to it... do you have a logo or anything for origins I can use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Origins_Tag.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	315212

There is a graphic of an orange gremlin. I'll see if I can find an image of it.

Day Time Mission Game Game Master(s)
    Wednesday 12:00 pm Learn to Fly Wings of Glory WWI & II Peter Landry
    Wednesday 12:00 pm Gothas over London WWI Jim O'Neil
    Wednesday 3:00 pm Into Shark Tank WWI Karl Envoy
    Wednesday 3:00 pm Holland 1940 WWII Peter Landry
    Thursday 9:00 am Guadalcanal WWII Peter Landry
    Thursday 10:00 am Nieuport 28s vs. Fokker D.VIIs WWI Bill Weber
    Thursday 12:00 am Attack of the Cuckoos! WWI Karl Envoy
    Thursday 12:00 am Cabbage Crates over the Briney WWII Jim O'Neil
    Thursday 3:00 pm Martians on the Rampage T&T Peter Landry
    Thursday 3:00 pm Barge Busting in New Guinea WWII Glenn Francis
    Thursday 4:00 pm Lafayette Escadrille Saves the Balloons WWI Jim O'Neil
    Friday 9:00 am Welcome to Bomber School WWI Ray Garbee
    Friday 9:00 am The Thunderbolts Are Coming WWII Karl Envoy
    Friday 9:00 am Harbor Raid SoG Peter Landry
    Friday 1:00 pm Bombing Mission WWI Bill Weber
    Friday 1:00 pm Protect the Grain Convoy SoG Peter Landry
    Friday 4:00 pm Raid on Otranto WWI Ray Garbee
    Friday 4:00 pm Mother, Jugs and Speed WWII Glenn Francis
    Saturday 9:00 am Stop the U-Boat WWI Ray Garbee
    Saturday 9:00 am Raid on Madang WWII Peter Landry
    Saturday 12:00 pm End of the Fokker Scourge WWI Jim O'Neil
    Saturday 1:00 pm The Sky Darkens WWI Peter Landry
    Saturday 3:00 pm Schlachtflieger Attack WWI Karl Envoy
    Saturday 3:00 pm Corsairs vs. Me 109s in Norway WWII Glenn Francis
    Saturday 7:00 pm Harry P. Materne III Memorial Tournament WWI Peter Landry & Jim O'Neil
    Sunday 10:00 am USAAS Nieuport 28s vs. Jasta Boelke WWI Peter Landry
    Sunday 10:00 pm Royal Naval Air Service to the Rescue WWI Jim O'Neil
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-30-2022 at 23:50.

There is the timetable in the Aerodrome format above. You can just copy+paste it into article.

PS: There is a typo in original Peter's post - there is "Matrene" and it should be (Harry P.) Materne.

And what dates are Origins?
    And what state/where?

Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-31-2022 at 03:07. Reason: Added to the Aerodrome Calendar (click on date).

Keeping things up to date can be a thankless job. I'd like to make it no so in this case.

Thanks, hedeby!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    And if anyone knows how to amend/delete the ‘Upcoming Releases’ section, let me know...
    It looks like the site is using the vBulletin CMS...

Here's a link to some "how-to" videos:

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/learn-m...stomizingForum

At first glance, I'd be looking at the "modules" in the home page layout. The sidebar looks like it has several modules, and I get the sense that you can add, subtract and edit them.

It's a place to start anyway...

Max, are you experienced with vBulletin system? Most of us can fill the forum with files, pictures and formated text, but almost nobody can maintain it after Keith's "retirement". I'm afraid the core of the Aerodrome is pretty old and many things should be fixed (like advertismenet for AA that is out of business now etc.)

I haven't worked with vBulletin, but I've been working with different CMS' for years. I just did a browser inspection of the home page and found the vBulletin reference in the code, searched the reference and found the links.

I am not a programmer. But I could probably figure out how to remove ads or update text, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Savoir Faire; 05-31-2022 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I was thinking about it for a while and...

...for UK GAMES EXPO I find interesting the "huge" WGF Battle of Birmingham should works on Battle Royale system [no direct experience with system, (personally) little skeptical, but it is something new and could be interesting].

...for WGF Upcoming Releases:
    1. Caquot M/Ae800 Balloons (two colours)
    2. Nieuport 16

...for WGS Upcoming Releases (probably in this order):
    1. Bristol Blenheim
    2. Savoia-Marchetti SM.79
    3. Battle of Midway Starter Set
    4. Bell P-39 Airacobra
    5. Lockheed P-38 Lightning
    6. Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa
    7. Vought F4U Corsair
    I haven't been cleared to tell you what, but there are some errors in this list--unless Ares announces first (in which case I will note it) I will share as soon as they give me a green light to do so. The Nieuports are all reformats - Navarre from T&T, and De Guibert and Johnson from Balloon Busters with the new Ace Cards.

I really wish Ares could be bothered to offer "Make-Up Decks" for us who have the originals...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Well a hard thing to consider.

Call me a bureaucrat, but my point is all of them were announced on Area website or official WoG FB page (except Midway Starter Set, let's put it out from this discussion) so until there'll be announce they're out of plans they should be on the list (remember it is not an official list), maybe with note linked to your post "I can't tell more but things are different" that is easily possible.

I'm not happy we don't known more, but if is not our fault the communication about release line is unclear. I think we should work with linkable (does this word exists?) sources, not gossips or speculations from secret intel of "those who know, but can't tell". So, please, Diamondback, be clear, ask your contacts to permission to tell us more, ask him about official news or be quiet. Anyway, info about Nieuports is interesting, thanks for it.

The other options for the list are: left what's there now (the worst I guess) or ask somebody (Keith, Max?) to remove whole list and don't mess the Home Page with wrong lists anymore (the easiest).

Post Scriptum: Sorry for grammar, my thoughs are too complicated for my basic English.

Post post scriptum: And sorry if I'm too straight, sometimes I'm too direct (and yes, I know it). Just trying to move the Aerodrome to year 2022.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-31-2022 at 12:09. Reason: The second PS added.

There IS a Pacific themed Starter coming--I helped with the historical research--but it's not Midway. I have an email in directly to Rob Di Meglio in my official capacity as Historical Consultant and if and when I hear back from him I will follow up here.

What I'd expect is there will be a couple other reprint Squadron Packs before the new PTO sculpts; and that I'm completely comfortable saying because you can't really do an Early Pacific War set without Wildcats nor any PW without Zeroes of one kind or another. So if we DON'T get those I'll have some crow to eat. Yes, everything in that list except the Starter is confirmed as in the pipeline, the minor point of contention is the exact timetable and one of the points I was consulting on was trying to figure out exactly how many existing sculpts could also be bootstrapped in to help subsidize the effort's cost by using already-paid-for tooling.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-31-2022 at 14:12.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

OK, we are getting somewhere.
    Thanks for corrections, have Corsair and Airacobra on Midway is a nonsense, of course. General info about PTO is interesting, also thanks.
    I also have a contact to Roberto, but don't want to mess him with such type of questions (they're literary bellow every announce post on FB), so I work with official stream(s).

Unfortunately, comms with Ares of late have me wondering if I've been quietly deemed "no longer necessary" and just nobody's gotten around to telling me so.

Well, you have your "orders" and the post #18 can work as a disclaimer on the bottom of the list. I see it in a positive light

If I could remove or edit the upcoming releases section, I would, but can’t find anywhere to access that part of the page. I have sent Keith a private email to ask for his help. I was going to message Eric until I realised that he hasn’t visited the site for 2 years. The other key administrative chaps alas were Baz and Matt, think we need a whole new set of administrators.

Just realised previous post sounds a little mutinous, but all I want is for the site to be up to date and as appealing as possible.

I can help with php editing. But for that i would probably need an ftp access.

Honza proved his abilities many times

Just realised previous post sounds a little mutinous, but all I want is for the site to be up to date and as appealing as possible.
    Mutiny MR Chris...n.

Bligh.

Mutiny ye say? Keelhaul the swab!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Mutiny ye say? Keelhaul the swab!
    Wrong site old boy, lol

Wrong site old boy, lol
    RNAS and Fleet Air Arm members here too

So a keel hauling it is then, bugger !

So a keel hauling it is then, bugger !
    Sure, just have to use a Zeppelin's keel
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

If I could remove or edit the upcoming releases section, I would, but can’t find anywhere to access that part of the page. I have sent Keith a private email to ask for his help. I was going to message Eric until I realised that he hasn’t visited the site for 2 years. The other key administrative chaps alas were Baz and Matt, think we need a whole new set of administrators.
    Teach me how to use the vBulleting backend and I'll volunteer--usually day-to-day ops the site is pretty quiet so I should be able to just poke in every couple days. Problem is when something breaks it usually goes to Hell in a big way resulting in a multi-day outage until Keith gets back on to fix it...

Edit to add: It might be prudent to have three Admins spaced around the world, say one each Nort America, Europe and Asia-Pacific (Australia/NZ) so that there can be somebody on the watch and ready to respond around the clock--right now most of our remaining active Mods seem to be UK based which kinda hamstrings things while Europe is sleeping.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-01-2022 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    RNAS and Fleet Air Arm members here too
    Don't forget that there used to be folks who were representing for US Naval Aviation too... not me, I'm Team Checkertails (USAAF, 318th FS/325th FG) in recognition of Grandpa's last assignment and its WWII forebears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Sure, just have to use a Zeppelin's keel
    Karl
    We do have plenty of flying boats for keel hauling. Felixstowe, Curtiss...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    You're a Coast Guard, ain't you?
    Ah, not really. When I asked Mike to make a banner for me I asked for Air Station Cape Cod. I never mentioned the Coast Gurad. He must have thought I was CG and went on to make a beautiful banner. It is so nice I couldn't ask for him to make another so here I am using it.

Well, close enough to sea. And your banner is one of the Mike's best, no wonder you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post

It might be prudent to have three Admins spaced around the world, say one each Nort America, Europe and Asia-Pacific (Australia/NZ) so that there can be somebody on the watch and ready to respond around the clock--right now most of our remaining active Mods seem to be UK based which kinda hamstrings things while Europe is sleeping.
    This is very true DB. We used to have Gully Raker in Aus, myself in Europe, and Matt in the US, but although Chris has stepped up and both Rhodie and Tea ticket have offered for the States, nothing has been arranged thus far.
    I am not going to last forever, but at least we have Chris as a backup here, and he has taken up the slack admirably.

Rob.

I offered to Keith a couple of years ago as I'm on daily, as a moderator for the Painting Showcase & OTT & could do a lot more. He said he'd bear it in mind but I've heard nothing as yet. Getting back to the intercontinental system we had before would be very helpful though.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good there is still energy for the Aerodrome!

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing: I think we don't need more moderators who just keep an eye if everything is ok without flamewars(the current ones are ok), but more a man who would actively developed the site (ideal) case or at least keep it up to date (that's minimum). Nof for a month or half a year, but for longer time.

Do you (all who discuss here) see it in the same way or do you feel different needs?

You are right Dan, we just need some folk who will take the site forward and have the time to run it properly. I will have a few conversations and see what we can do. We have some fantastic people who love the site, the game and the people and it makes sense to have them involved.

Similar Missions

1. It's nice to see the hompage/aerodrome news updated
    By Killer Moth in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2022, 08:32
  2. Ouch! Airplane magazine - good news and bad news.
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:47
  3. Series 1 Good News Bad News
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 07:09
  4. Good News, Bad News, Good News, Uncertain News
    By spin_doctor in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 14:34
  5. Some good news re the Aerodrome Historical Forum.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 10:50