Ares Games

Thread: When soloing, what do you do when the automated plane is flying close to the edge of

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Question When soloing, what do you do when the automated plane is flying close to the edge of

Edit: looks like my title was too long. It's suggesting that the planes are flying too close to the edge of the play area.

I'm really enjoying the solo template and charts to dogfight 2v2.

But both the Messerschmitt's are playing straight towards the edge of the play area. Common sense says the turn as sharply to the left or right until they no longer are in danger then revert back to the 1-12 template.

Is that what everyone else is doing?
    Last edited by Sideburnt; 05-23-2022 at 11:07. Reason: Title truncated.

Firstly Simon, welcome to the Drome from here in Notts.
    Your system is the one I use.
    Some aircraft which do not have the room to do this, and various rules are in use.
    They exit from the enemy end of the table and are regarded as shot down. I feel that is a bit harsh.
    If they exit from the side of the table they play an Imel and return facing the way they exited three turns later.
    They return at the oppisite edge of the table.
    If they leave on their own base side they head for the barn.
    These are some of the options, and I'm sure that some of our other pilots will come up with their own ideas.
    If you are playing in the Campaigns, I'm sure that the rules for these combats will be explained to you by Dave.

Fly safe.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Thanks and hi from West Yorkshire.

I wasn't sure if I was missing some of the instructions as they mention that they fly straight until within 30" of an enemy or 12" from the side of the play area. It feels like depending on how close they are they should be either turning to the left or right or performing an immelmenn. I think if this was me flying towards the edge of the know play area this is what I and any other player would probably do depending on how much space they have to play with.

Interested in what other people do. This happened to both planes on turn 4, so pretty early on in the engagement. It would be a bit of a dull ending to finish it there.

If posssible, I 'scroll' the map. This means all the planes are shifted to a point that centers the planes on the matt/playing surface.

I would think this would only occur if the live pilot was trying to use the edge of the matt to avoid the AI pilot, and the AI solution took it off the matt.

Even for live pilots, during regular games, I allow a plane to ride the edge of the matt, or fly just over the edge (if there is any table available on which to put the plane stand). If the pilot can get the plane back on the matt in the next turn, the game continues. There is no matt edge in the real sky. And I'm usually playing novice players.

It is up to the player(s) to determine how to play this. I don't fuss too much, as I play mostly for fun.

PS: The comment about a live player at the edge is based on the AI system always having a plane closing on a target plane. The AI system shouldn't fly off the matt, if the target is nearer to the center.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-23-2022 at 18:42.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Users Country Flag

Name
    Simon
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for replying Mike. I had an AI plane get itself in this situation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16533952320776574900686299882876.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	315002

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-23-2021, 16:11
  2. Automated Tripod Templates
    By Naharaht in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2019, 05:48
  3. WGSF Who's flying the plane?
    By Tonx in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2016, 17:39
  4. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 10:28
  5. Flying Tigers: Act 2. Scene 43. Take 4. Close up shots Air combat 4.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 10:01