Ares Games

Thread: Italian Aircraft Decals

Default Italian Aircraft Decals

Does anyone know if there are any companies that produce 1/144 scale decals for Italian WW1 aircraft? I have found 1/72 and 1/48 but so far my google search has produced no luck other than Miscminis stripes, some Italian roundels and the Valom Hanriot decals.

Send Keith an e-mail. He should be able to help if you ask.

'Mark-1 Decals' do a pair of small sheets of roundels in a twin pack, selling on ebay (search decals, 1/144 and you should find them).

'Valom' have a single Italian scheme in their SPAD X.III double kit set, the ubiquitous "Barracca", and their Nieuport 11 double set shows a scheme on the box rear which has no roundels, only tri-colour stripes (no decals are provided, the modeller is expected to paint them on!).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Send Keith an e-mail. He should be able to help if you ask.
    Sorry Keith would be who? I'm not familiar with everyone's name here on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Sorry Keith would be who? I'm not familiar with everyone's name here on the forum.
    Oberst Hajj - the Forum's Creator.

When he ran "Aerodrome Accessories" he sold large sheets of National Insignia, including Italian roundels.

Since the time that he ceased trading, his products have not appeared for sale anywhere, but he might have a few left overs...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks very much. I'll drop him a pm.

Apologies Gary. Meant Kevin at miscmini. His decals are v. good

Ah, so the pm I sent Keith will have him very confused.

I'll drop Kevin a line.

Kevin at MiscMini came through with the roundels but still can't find any other 1/144 decals. I might have to go down the path of making my own. How easy is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Kevin at MiscMini came through with the roundels but still can't find any other 1/144 decals. I might have to go down the path of making my own. How easy is that?
    Gary,
    It's usually not terribly difficult providing you can work from a good image/color profile. I've had good luck with Sunnyscopa brand clear and white decal paper for my HP laser printer. Process is the same for ink jets although you may need to protect the sheet with clear coat spray.
    Nothing but the very high end ($10K+) printers will print white so you have to make allowances for that by painting a white field and applying the decal over it, or printing the design on white decal paper and try to match the background to the plane color (works pretty well).

Scan the image at a high resolution (I normally do 1200 dpi) and print it using the "label" setting. The clear paper is thinner and works great for plane numbers but colors will print with more transparency so you may experiment a bit. Sometimes I print on both and do a test -- if it's too transparent on the clear it can be easily removed if you don't let it set up of course.
    Resize the image to desired size (3mm or whatever). Remember you might need to reverse the image and save a copy if you need another facing direction for the other side of plane.

Thanks for the advice. I might see if I can find a you-tube video showing the process. So far I have only found decal sheets suitable for mugs and similar.

I seem to vaguely recall doing some Italian markings (prancing horses etc) for Dave (Flash) some time back but I'm bugg**ed if I can find the file. It might be worth PM-ing him to see if he still has the file if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I seem to vaguely recall doing some Italian markings (prancing horses etc) for Dave (Flash) some time back but I'm bugg**ed if I can find the file. It might be worth PM-ing him to see if he still has the file if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.
    Thanks for the info Steve. I'll drop him a pm once he's got over his daughter's wedding.

I am looking for some with the Stallion that is on the Baracca plane.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I am looking for some with the Stallion that is on the Baracca plane.
    If I find any I'll let you know.

Similar Missions

1. New Italian Roundel decals
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-10-2019, 04:57
  2. New AIM Italian and Japanese Aircraft
    By DarrylH in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2017, 23:21
  3. Italian aircraft nicknames
    By Old Navy in forum WGS: General Discussions