Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 May 2022

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 5 May 2022

[AAR #1] Three against one. My AEG G.IV bomber attempting to bomb one of three possible targets, while the defense is two Nieuport 11s and one Nieuport 17.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800-IMG_1302.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	314931

Todd, in his Nieuport 17, sets the bomber on fire, but the rear gunner hits him in return.

Name:	800-IMG_1303.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	314932

Craig has swung around and attacked the bomber from the rear. However, he has drawn the BOOM card and takes full damage. [I usually play, BOOM card is half damage for multi-engine airplanes, but full damage for scouts and two-seaters. This changes based on who dreams up the scenario.] Meanwhile, Ben in his Nieuport 11 attacks from the front.

Name:	800-IMG_1304.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	314933

I am far too close to the target to properly bomb it. I decided to turn to the right to align for target number two.

Name:	800-IMG_1305.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	314934

Wounded Pilot! I remembered the advanced Wounded Pilot run for multi-engine aircraft. I drew two wounded crewmen and it was both observers. Effectively, the mission is over since no one can drop the bombs.

Name:	800-IMG_1307.jpg 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	314935

And the game is over: top row is normal damage, second row is +1, and the third row is fire damage. I didn't remember the correct rule for engine damage on multi-engine airplanes, so I was playing a stall card each turn for the bomber. The Nieuports would not have been able to catch me otherwise.

Name:	800-IMG_1308.jpg 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	314936

In the Wings of Linen wiki, there are two cards for the AEG G.IV: one says K maneuver and 19 damage points while the other is XD maneuver and 24 damage points. The speed of the AEG G.IV is clearly a K deck. However, I don't see how a fabric covered wood framed fuselage of the Rumpler G.III is worth 24 damage points while the fabric covered welded metal tube framed fuselage of the AEG G.IV is worth 19 points. I am going to have to make a K maneuver 24 point card for this bomber.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

[AAR #2] CrashCraig was intrigued by the Forum discussion of "Attack from the Sun" and used a variant proposed by ? to use a die to indicate which maneuver one would enter the game. This is a dogfight with Craig with a Turkish Fokker E.III and I with an Albatros D.II against Ben with his Nieuport 11 and Todd with a Nieuport 17.

Name:	800-IMG_1309.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	314937

Everyone is on the table, although Ben is a bit far from the action.

Name:	800-IMG_1310.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	314938

Todd and I inflict heavy damage on each other at close range, but I draw the boom card and am out of the game.

Name:	800-IMG_1311.jpg 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	314939

Todd overflys Craig who is able to inflict some damage on Ben.

Name:	800-IMG_1312.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	314940

Now the game took a curious turn as Todd flew away from the action. Ben and Craig duked it out with Craig being set on fire. He managed to collect an impressive number of zero damage cards from the fire and assorted attacks by Ben.

Name:	800-IMG_1313.jpg 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	314941

The reason Todd was flying away from the action. My close range attack inflicted heavy damage and a wounded pilot card. He had only one damage point to keep flying so he let the others duke it out.

Name:	800-IMG_1314.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	314942

CrashCraig finally crashes.

Name:	800-IMG_1315.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	314943

As does Ben. So Todd was solo survivor of the dogfight

Name:	800-IMG_1316.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	314944

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    ...In the Wings of Linen wiki, there are two cards for the AEG G.IV: one says K maneuver and 19 damage points while the other is XD maneuver and 24 damage points. The speed of the AEG G.IV is clearly a K deck. However, I don't see how a fabric covered wood framed fuselage of the Rumpler G.III is worth 24 damage points while the fabric covered welded metal tube framed fuselage of the AEG G.IV is worth 19 points. I am going to have to make a K maneuver 24 point card for this bomber.
    The Unofcom stats for the AEG G.IV are K deck 19pts; the armoured AEG G.IVk are Y deck, 24pts; the Rumpler G.III is Y deck, 24pts. I don't know how these things are calculated by them but it's odd as the seem quite similar in size and weight.
    The disparity in cards may depend on who made them and when as many of the older cards are best guess efforts to get a plane on the table and not necessarily accurate. Good looking games by the way, well done all involved

PS - Engine damage on a multi-engined machine - you randomly draw from chits marked 1 and 2 - if your damage is less than the number of engines nothing happens; if your damage matches the number of engines, you must plan a stall each turn; if your damage exceeds the number of engines (over time of course) you're shot down.

"He is wise who watches"

Couple of good games there!

The 3-on-1 was a tough ask for the AEG, but he almost made it.

As for the Damage Points, I'm finding more and more curious Damage Totals assigned to various planes the more I dig and the more I read and learn.
    From what I have gathered, a VERY simple formula was originally applied to Unofficial Aircraft, and this formula takes very little account of machine specifics - perhaps unknown at the time.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY happy to have the Unofficial Aircraft stats - it's just that I've come around to disagreeing with some of them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Here's a pic of the Gritty Goblin pilots. Robert on left, my son Ben in the middle and Todd on the right. I wasn't in the pic because I already got BOOMed!

Name:	Gritty Goblin Pilots.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	314945

RJG173 wrote: "CrashCraig was intrigued by the Forum discussion of "Attack from the Sun" and used a variant proposed by ? to use a die to indicate which maneuver one would enter the game."

The question mark in that sentence can be replaced with 'Windy Jack'. The post where it was mentioned was an AAR headed 'Starting a Game - an alternative.'
    Last edited by Windy Jack; 05-22-2022 at 17:47. Reason: Added correct name

Nice games! I love the damage cards. No question to what the special damage is.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Nice games! I love the damage cards. No question to what the special damage is.
    I tried to use simple but colorful graphics.

Two more very well put together scenarios Robert.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 7 April 2022
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-13-2022, 11:05
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 March 2022
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-04-2022, 14:03
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 3 Feb 2022
    Replies: 2