Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM - Mission 9 - Flash's Death of Chivalry - 5th December 1916

Default OTT-BYM - Mission 9 - Flash's Death of Chivalry - 5th December 1916

Most recent events had included the fall of Ltn Hans Shilling at the hands of the French ace Charles Nungesser and as a foe well known to the Bulldogs it was decided they would pay their respects by dropping a wreath on his home airfield shortly after dawn the following day.
    There being no shortage of volunteers lots were drawn in the Mess that evening and the lucky chap selected for the task was our Aussie mate Baz Fife-Brand, or, two dads as the chaps had recently started to call him, much to his annoyance.

So it was that Baz found himself behind the lines just as the sun cleared the horizon, fast approaching the airfield of Shilling's Jasta at low altitude.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3978.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	314867

He blipped the throttle and launched the wreath over the side as he crossed the perimeter then turned sharply right in a climbing turn (randomly selected)

Name:	SAM_3981.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	314868

He spots a German Fokker below to the south and it turns toward him as he climbs to gain some altitude before crossing back over the lines. 'He's showing more flamin' interest than I'd like' muses Baz.

Name:	SAM_3982.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	314869

Unbeknownst to Baz Ltn Stefan Loerzer, recently back from injury, is out in the squadron hack re-familiarising himself with the area before his next mission. He's spotted an intruder over his landing field but is frustrated that he can't bring his guns to bear as the Sopwith passes overhead.

Name:	SAM_3984.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	314870

Baz sees the German reverse his course to give chase - thinking he might, and being an obliging type when it comes to a fight, Baz has already whipped his Pup into a sharp right turn..

Name:	SAM_3986.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	314871

Baz continues to circle right and drops his nose toward the Fokker. He unloads his Vickers into it for little return.

Name:	SAM_3993.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	314872

Baz clocks a brace of Albatrii arrive above them both from the north. The red one looks a bit different from the other. He's not to know that Obltn Hans Jörke is trying out the latest offering from the Albatros works on patrol with Ltn Raven Busse in a DII.

Name:	SAM_3989.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	314873

Discretion being the better part of valour Baz turns sharply toward home as Loerzer climbs away & the newcomers snake their way toward the action.

Name:	SAM_3997.JPG 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	314874

Baz climbs toward the lines as the Albatrii dive toward them. 'That might throw them off' he thinks

Name:	SAM_3998.JPG 
Views:	60 
ID:	314875

At this point a pair of Bulldogs are heading across the lines, Lt Bill Foldes on the left in the new Sopwith Tripe and 2lt Evan Keel on the right in Foldes' old Nieuport 17 #4, noticeable for it's twin Lewis guns mounted above the wing. Foldes had been tinkering with the Tripe and was out to test it with a second Vickers aboard.

Name:	SAM_3999.JPG 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	314876

They rush toward the developing scrap ahead of them and to bale Baz out of the mire !

Name:	SAM_4000.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	314877

Busse shows his tactical skill, turning toward Baz, then firing as he climbs sending an accurate burst clattering through the Pup's frame

Name:	SAM_4006.JPG 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	314878

Maybe he felt threatened by the onrushing Bulldogs but Busse breaks to his left as Baz throws his Pup round to face the challenge, only to find no target - one will be along in a moment !

Name:	SAM_4009.JPG 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	314879

Baz hold the turn and manages a long range effort on Busse's Albatros, damaging his rudder but takes fire from the other Huns rushing in to help their comrade. Jörke's aim is on and the pup suffers but Keel's long range shot as he enters the fray clips Jörke's tail.

Name:	SAM_4013.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	314880

Baz' gun seizes on the next shot; Keel pummels Jörke's Albatros and wounds the pilot severely as Foldes joins the fight but can do no damage to Loezer's Fokker

Name:	SAM_4014.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	314881

Baz looks for a way out as the battle rages about him. Loerzer reverses but does little more than punch a few holes in the Pup's fabric; Keel & Foldes double team Busse who gets a shot into the Tripe, both planes take some damage

Name:	SAM_4019.JPG 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	314882

Baz takes avoiding action so as not to end up with the remaining Albatros on his tail as he breaks for home, things get a little tight for a second and Keel gets hammered at close range by the Fokker which damages his controls

Name:	SAM_4020.JPG 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	314883

Barely clinging to consciousness Jörke turns for home losing height as he does so

Name:	SAM_4022.JPG 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	314884

Baz breaks from the crowd and points his nose toward home; Foldes reverses but doesn't get a shot on the troublesome Fokker, or, the Albatros who heads for his leader who is clearly in some strife.

Name:	SAM_4023.JPG 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	314885

Foldes sees Baz safely on his way before turning back to the fight, it seems Busse has done the same for his flight leader. Meanwhile Keel does his utmost to avoid occupying the same air space as the Fokker

Name:	SAM_4027.JPG 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	314886

Finally breaking free of the Fokker, Keel throws in a reversal hoping to get on the beggar's tail but to his horror is met by the Albatros with it's guns blazing .. He feels a stunning blow to his arm

Name:	SAM_4029.JPG 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	314887

Jörke, still struggling, leaves the battle space and makes for his home field

Name:	SAM_4033.JPG 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	314888

Keel waves his intention to Foldes as he passes his nose toward the lines, the Germans turn back to sandwich the Triplane if they can

Name:	SAM_4035.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	314889

Name:	SAM_4040.JPG 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	314890

Baz makes it safely back across the lines & heads for the barn

Name:	SAM_4042.JPG 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	314891

Keel glances astern and has a moment of concern as the Fokker turns after him

Name:	SAM_4043.JPG 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	314892

Foldes pumps a long range burst into the Albatros and sees some splinters fly

Name:	SAM_4044.JPG 
ID:	314893

The Albatros reverses, guns blazing, but neither man finds the mark, even at close range

Name:	SAM_4045.JPG 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	314894

Realising the Nieuport has too great a lead on him the Fokker turns back to assist his comrade againt the 'drei decker'

Name:	SAM_4040.JPG 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	314890

His instinct was correct and the Fokker laces the Triplane with a solid long range burst that shakes it to it's core.
    Foldes is on target though and manages to damage the Fokker's controls as the Albatros reverses behind him. 'This could get tricky' he thinks to himself

Name:	SAM_4048.JPG 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	314895

Glancing over his shoulder Foldes sees the German's turn back toward him

Name:	SAM_4049.JPG 
Size:	206.9 KB 
ID:	314896

Keel makes it back across the lines intact

Name:	SAM_4051.JPG 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	314897

Foldes reverses and trades blows at close range with the Albatros, taking another heavy blow. He'll have to finish this quickly or they'll take him down.

Name:	SAM_4053.JPG 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	314898

Using his turning ability Foldes reefs his machine tightly round behind the two Hun machines - he can see the worried glances of the pilots as he gets the position he seeks

Name:	SAM_4056.JPG 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	314899

Opening the turn out he catches the Albatros at long range as it reverses it's turn, damaging it's tail.

Name:	SAM_4057.JPG 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	314900

Slipping right he gets a second shot that crashes through it's structure and it almost seems to sag in the air

Name:	SAM_4058.JPG 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	314901

Narrowly dodging the turning Fokker, Foldes reverses once more, meeting the turning Albatros with another burst which apparently does enough to send it on it's way

Name:	SAM_4061.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	314902

Name:	SAM_4063.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	314903

Turning rapidly he gets a long range burst into the Fokker, momentarily jamming one of his guns

Name:	SAM_4066.JPG 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	314904

Continuing the turn he catches the Fokker mid air as once again he reverses his course - it's a solid shot an smoke streams in it's wake as it plummets from the sky . Sky clear of the enemy Foldes heads for home

Name:	SAM_4069.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	314905

Name:	SAM_4070.JPG 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	314906

Victory Points:
    Bulldogs:

Wreath dropping plane exits its own table edge = 15 pts
    For each enemy scout shot down x1 = 10pts
    For each enemy scout FRTB x 2 = 10 Pts
    Total 35pts

Eagles:
    For each enemy scout FRTB x 2 = 10 Pts
    Total = 10 pts

Bulldog Victory !

Butcher's Tally:

Eagles:

Obltn Hans Jörke: Alb D.III - FRTB-W / WIA 0 kills
    3+3 = Crash lands.
    Rolled 3 -1FRTB +1RTB -1WIA = 2 Dead !

Ltn Stefan Loerzer: Fokker D.III - SD-FT 0 kills, 1 Probable (Keel FRTB-W)
    Rolled 11 -1SD = 10 - All well when you land well.

Ltn Raven Busse: Alb D.II - FRTB-D 0 kills
    4+5 = Landed safely

Name:	SAM_4071.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	314907

Bulldogs:

Lt Bill Foldes: Tripe - RTB 1 kill (Loerzer), 1 Probable (Busse FRTB-D)

2Lt Barry Fife-Brand: Pup - RTB 0 kills (Gun jammed)

2Lt Evan Keel: N.17#4 - FRTB-W / WIA 0 kills, 1 Probable (Jörke FRTB-W)
    Rolled 2+3 = Stuck the landing.
    Rolled 7 +1RTB -1WIA = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario. Rolled 5 = Skip 2

Name:	SAM_4072.JPG 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	314908

Nice scenario, thanks Gary. I flew as Baz & played the alternate gun jam rules as you saw as well as my alt rules & usual stuff.
    Last edited by flash; 05-21-2022 at 02:28.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Losing Jörke in that manner was quite a shock. Must've passed out from blood loss on finals, probably didn't feel a thing.

Uncle says:

One downed and two sent packing without loss is a positive result, we identified a new type and tested ours so all things appear to be on the up.
    Subsequent intel leads us to believe that the new type crashed on approach to it's home field and the Jasta leader died from his wounds - Keel will be awarded the victory as a result of this information.

On the other side ..
    Obltn Johannes Achilles will once again assume command of the Eagles
    Last edited by flash; 05-20-2022 at 10:17.

Well you must be pleased with yourself after that. A very good result for the Bulldogs. Nice set of planes as well. Pity about Jorke.

Glad you enjoyed the scenario. Although it was a fairly simple set-up, you do have to consider how to get the wreath dropping plane past the onrushing enemy and at what point you exit him from the table. Your SPADs and the Triplane seemed to do that fairly well.

Well played and presented, Dave.
    I especially liked the pic of Baz's diving Pup.

Tough loss for our Adler with Jörke failing to land safely.
    I recall a similar fate for one of my Bulldogs.

I see you did give Keel the kill - I was going to ask about that if you hadn't.

This is the first AAR from BYM that I have read for some time and I enjoyed it very much.
    Thank you for continuing the tradition of the Bulldogs for so long sir.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice action and modelling, like the choice of planes.

Just a point, shouldn’t Keel’s tally have included a crash landing roll for the FRTB which may add a WIC?

Well that worked out a darn sight better than my game! Well done, sir! Cheers

Well done by your Bulldogs, Dave Some sharp planes as well.
    I trust you'll be dropping a wreath for Jorke!

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Nice action and modelling, like the choice of planes.
    Just a point, shouldn’t Keel’s tally have included a crash landing roll for the FRTB which may add a WIC?
    Lost in the rush of publishing, Baz, I will add it in. He stuck the landing, so no WIC or -1FRTB, the roll was for the wound sustained in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    This is the first AAR from BYM that I have read for some time and I enjoyed it very much.
    Thank you for continuing the tradition of the Bulldogs for so long sir.
    Kyte.
    Thanks Rob, I do my best !
    Thanks all for the kind words chaps, I was worried things would go horribly wrong at a few points - when Baz seized his gun; when Keel was wounded; when Foldes was left with a two on one but he (well the AI) pulled it out of the bag in the end. Well done Gary on his first OTT scenario.

excellent Dave, a great read and photos

Nice one! Do you guys use double/triple pegs for altitudes?

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Nice one! Do you guys use double/triple pegs for altitudes?
    No.
    Using my own alt rules I use a peg per climb token. A full level of alt is properly 8 pegs. Anything can gain or lose alt on any card, climb rates mean you gain or lose multiple pegs on climbs or dives. There are compromises but I like the way it works as it looks and feels more like flying.
    Baz started this game a one peg under alt 2 (obviously not 15 pegs high) so he could drop the wreath at alt level 1, climbed to level 2 after the drop and the action took place mostly between Alt 2 & 3.

That game fairly romped along Dave, nice to see 6 different planes on the table as well. Very engaging style of writing and very readable too if you don't mind me saying so.
    The Tripe's handling seemed to make a difference and with the 2nd gun was able to even the shooting game. Did you think that was the case or just emphasise the point in the storyline?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ..The Tripe's handling seemed to make a difference and with the 2nd gun was able to even the shooting game. Did you think that was the case or just emphasise the point in the storyline? Cheers
    I chose to use the Tripe with two guns, John, just to even things up a bit as the Fokker has a brace as well as the Albi's and it was in keeping with Foldes' practice of up-gunning his machines. The game could have gone either way but tilted in favour of the Bulldogs in the last moments. Thanks for the compliments on the story, I don't mind you saying that at all !

Nice one Dave. The Bulldogs held up well and sent the Hun packing despite Keel's being wounded. He did well to get his kitye back on the ground in one piece.

Thanks Peter - quite a pleasing outcome for the Bulldogs in the end.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-BYM Mission 9: The Death of Chivalry – 5 Dec 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-20-2022, 06:30
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-19-2022, 09:06
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-19-2022, 08:54
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2022, 08:40