Ares Games

Thread: then the world went "BOOM"

Default then the world went "BOOM"

Hermann Goering was having a good day. His brand new, all white D.VII, flew like a dream. A dull, uneventful patrol with two colleagues was coming to an end. In the distance they spotted three of the Spad XIIs and the two parties quickly closed on each other. He lined one up in his sights. BOOM.

Very first card of a 3 v 3, on the first time I'd flown these planes and I was flying Goering. Would you Adam and Eve it? I chose half planes total damage, otherwise it would have been over everso quickly. Apart from drawing 7 "0"s Goering was to end with the plane disintegrating around him as he received his second wound.

WOW don't the D.VIIs and the Spad XIIIs cover a vast amount of mat at an incredible speed.

Played the rest of the game out, leaving only Stark's D.VII to limp back home.

Potential Poll: Does BOOM mean BOOM or does BOOM mean Half Damage? Your preferences ladies and gentlemen?

I prefer half-damage to keep the game going at least early in a scenario. As the game evolves a half-damage result will still take most folks out faster than pilots who have not received one.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    I prefer half-damage to keep the game going at least early in a scenario. As the game evolves a half-damage result will still take most folks out faster than pilots who have not received one.
    Same here.

Half of aircraft's original damage capacity, rounding fractions up.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

We have been using the half damage rule from the Tripods set. We really like it a lot more. Especially if you get it early in the game.

I've always had Boom = Boom... and have usually ended up on the receiving end, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

We've used the half damage rule for some time now as it's more user friendly in group gaming - it usually means someone's demise if it doesn't put them on the way to it.

"He is wise who watches"

I like that idea Dave. If you wanted to make it even less likely you could try a double boom only sends you down, rather like pilot wounded. That would make it extremely unlikely, but keep anyone with one boom card on edge for the rest of the game. Boo-boom.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I use the Boom = 'Boom - You're Down' when there are re-spawns but half damage if you only have one plane to fly.

I prefer BOOM = half damage for most games, and generally don't care for respawns. But for OTT I've enjoyed the anxiety and drama of the BOOM since there are modifiers to determine pilot's fate and I just teleport to the controls of another plane

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I prefer BOOM = half damage for most games, and generally don't care for respawns. But for OTT I've enjoyed the anxiety and drama of the BOOM since there are modifiers to determine pilot's fate and I just teleport to the controls of another plane
    ^^^ What he said.

I teleported to Sasschenberg's plane and managed to get him shot down as well

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Ok, at Origins you don't want to respawn. Noted.

Not your day was it. We mostly use half damage rounded down for our battles too. We have been known to use full damage but with the card placed towards the bottom of the pack. That results in a decent game for most of the time anyway.

Yup, half damage rounded up here. No respawns. Reasoning is pretty much as above; friendly games and usually only 1 pilot per plane. It stinks getting knocked out early in the game, particularly for newbies…

Similar Missions

1. Origins 2018 "World Record" events - WWI & WWII
    By Bobsalt in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-23-2018, 12:39
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2015, 08:38
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 07:31
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  5. Knights of the Air "world wide" campaign?
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 13:57