Ares Games

Thread: BAZ (GULLY_RAKER)

Default BAZ (GULLY_RAKER)

Thought it was about time we did something about a serious omission, a proper Hall of Fallen Airman post for Baz (Gully_Raker). So many thanks to Dan for his work in pulling this together. I appreciate I didn't know Baz very well so I would ask those who did know him to please PM with your words and thoughts, or put them on this thread and I can add them to the post.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Sadly missed. I had several conversations by email with Barry, and knowing of his love of motor racing at one time supplied him with lots of photos from Motor museums across Europe. A true gent, and a great loss.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

A great fan of our of our hobby. I've known Barry since I started here at the Aerodrome. We did solo campaigns together and talked regularly about the hobby. Until recently we still sent each other postcards for Christmas. I miss our Australian friend and his great input here very much.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Oh man, we lost ANOTHER wingman?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I had too few chats with him - he always had time for other Forumites, and he was very welcoming and supportive of me when I joined up.
    We shared a fondness for the Vickers Gunbus, among other planes.
    When I supplied him with a 'Nexus' Australian Sopwith Snipe, which he couldn't source Down Under, he extended an invite for me to come stay with him!
    What a gentleman.
    He was also indirectly responsible for making me start drinking tea....
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Thought it was about time we did something about a serious omission, a proper Hall of Fallen Airman post for Baz (Gully_Raker). So many thanks to Dan for his work in pulling this together. I appreciate I didn't know Baz very well so I would ask those who did know him to please PM with your words and thoughts, or put them on this thread and I can add them to the post.
    I thought Zoe had this in hand as Aussie Adj and the one who knew him well, maybe you should make contact with her before proceeding further.
    For those who missed it there are a couple of good links here: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...IP-Gully_raker

Baz was a top bloke, I miss him greatly as a friend and as wingman on OTT, where he gave me great support. We still play his last BRF and all current pilots, of both sides , have had an Aussie Baz added to their roster in his memory.

"He is wise who watches"

Already asked her last week, waiting for answer.

Can always be added to and amended, but thought we ought to have something up as it’s been a while, didn’t feel right having done David’s to have Baz’s still absent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Already asked her last week, waiting for answer.
    Unfortunately I appear to have long Covid19 and have been bedridden for the last 2 months.

The family has asked me to distribute bazza's collection to his friends, but I don't have a list yet. Due to postage, most will have to remain in Australia or be sent to Europe. These will NOT be sold at auction, but given away as bequests to the many friends he's made on this site.

Hi Zoe.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your condition and trust that you will recover soon.
    As far as Baz is concerned, I already have one of his aircraft as we swapped a Captain Triggers Heart of Oak Camel for a Kyte one, so that they could put in guest appearances in each others OTT campaign games.
    When you are able, I would be happy to pay the postage to get back the Kyte camel and one of Trigger's Heart of Oak wingmen aircraft. Failing that I would like you to keep the Kyte camel for yourself. It is the one with the K on its wing and bulldog logo on the side.
    Get well soon.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 05-19-2022 at 08:59.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Unfortunately I appear to have long Covid19 and have been bedridden for the last 2 months.

The family has asked me to distribute bazza's collection to his friends, but I don't have a list yet. Due to postage, most will have to remain in Australia or be sent to Europe. These will NOT be sold at auction, but given away as bequests to the many friends he's made on this site.
    No need for hurry. As Chris said: few sentences can be added anytime.

Oh my god Zoe ! lets hope things ease as soon as possible. Get well soon.

Zoe, hope you continue to heal up. Sorry to hear about your complications. Hope all gets better.

I would not be surprised if some of the members would be willing to pay the postage costs. Baz was a great gentleman. I did not know him as well as most of the members. What conversations and messages we exchanged, he was always helpful and a really good person.

Blimey Zoe, sorry you're in the wars, hope you recover soon.
    I'd certainly be happy to cover the postage to have one of Baz's planes as a momento; particularly his Vickers FB5 gunbus as that was his avatar & not a model I have myself.

"He is wise who watches"

Get Well Soon, Zoe!

I too would be more than happy to pay the postage for the considerable honour of having a Baz plane added to my collection.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Maybe to save Zoe undue repetitive postings we could set up a couple of central distribution points in the UK. Maybe at Doncaster for the North and somewhere like at Entoyment games nights in the South? Two places where a lot of us congregate. Any better ideas will be welcome.
    Rob.

Oh my! Sorry to hear that Zoe. Hoping that you recover soon and with no lasting effects.

Baz was a true gentleman. Always a positive force here on the Aerodrome and everywhere he went. Our email conversations always left me feeling lucky to know him, even from afar.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Zoe!

I did not know Baz well, but he reached out in PMs a couple of times and I very much appreciated his kindness and enthusiasm for the game and members here.

Sorry to hear you are suffering Long COVID, Zoe.
    Here's hoping for a full recovery.

I enjoyed several PM conversations with Baz - he was one of the first (if not the first) to welcome me to the drome.
    I would very much appreciate one of his DH.2s if that could be arranged - postage be damned.
    Then my 'Aussie Baz' could have a suitable machine for our OTT adventures.

Get well soon Zoe. Things can be sorted when you're feeling better, no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I am very sorry to hear that, Zoe. I hope you that you start to improve soon, and gain health and strength.

Dear me, was unaware, get well soon Zoe

Best wishes for a quick recovery Zoe. This Covid thing has caused enough trouble.

Sorry to hear you have been ill Zoe. Hope you are on road to recovery.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Maybe to save Zoe undue repetitive postings we could set up a couple of central distribution points in the UK. Maybe at Doncaster for the North and somewhere like at Entoyment games nights in the South? Two places where a lot of us congregate. Any better ideas will be welcome.
    Rob.
    Only just seen this Rob, I can be the recipient to distribute at Entoyment and events in the south if needed when the time comes.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.
    I'm just waiting to hear from any of the lads down under about how Zoe is progressing. We could really do with appointing an Almoner for the Drome.
    Rob.

Had a message from Zoe, she said it would be simpler if she could send everything to one location and asked if I would be happy to receive. Obviously said I would, but not heard anything further. Will let you know as soon as I hear more.

Thanks Chris.
    Did Zoe give any intimation of how she was doing?

Rob.

Struggling... but hopefully getting there

Similar Missions

1. This one is for Gully_Raker
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-26-2021, 07:28
  2. gully_raker update!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2020, 16:38
  3. AAR OTT Mission 7--Something Must Be Done--gully_raker