Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 87 of 87

Thread: Wings of Prague 2023

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Train to Dresden for the Army Museum?
    Ooooh!
    Tempting!

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  2. #52

    Default

    There is also always the trip to Pilsen Brewery Tim!

    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    There is also always the trip to Pilsen Brewery Tim!

    Rob.
    Did that one on my last Prague trip.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  4. #54

    Default

    I seem to remember having a chat to you in the caves.
    Never too late for a rematch where beer is involved Tim.

    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post

    Never too late for a rematch where beer is involved Tim.
    A fair point, well made!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  6. #56

    Northern Command Squadron Leader.
    Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Blog Entries
    10
    Name
    Neil
    Location
    Northumberland
    Sorties Flown
    11,704
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default

    Not promising but I may be able to make it too.

    Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Not promising but I may be able to make it too.

    Neil


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  8. #58

    Default

    First of all, please, note that Saturday part of event will be (probably) somewhere else (thinking about Košíře on the opposite river bank). There is no ideal venue for Saturday close to Svět deskových her after closing Hotel Mars (pity!) and we want to keep it cheap. Friday and Sunday still in Svět deskových her, so not a bad quarter to stay there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Can anyone recommend a hotel somewhere near Svět deskových her?

    I need to book something soon.

    Also, are there any highly recommended day excursions I might want to tack on to my visit?
    I remember there were plenty of Air B'n'B appartments for cheap rent there if you do not need ***** hotel

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    That's a shame Tim. What will you do with yourself? Train to Dresden for the Army Museum?
    Never been in that museum, but Dresden is a little gem on Elbe. There is also an interesting Museum of Hygiene there (sounds boring, but it is not) in pre-war bulding built according to Speer's architecture (building, not the museum; also interesting experience to walk around).

    Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Not promising but I may be able to make it too.

    Neil
    Good! Keep us updated, Neil. Welcome back!

  9. #59

    Default

    I love Dresden. The rebuilt church is absolutely stellar, the town is full of young people who speak English, the brutalist architecture in the centre is also a gem and seeing a concrete apartment houses right across the street from the city centre is something you won't see anywhere else. They also have a weekend flea market on the river bank, where you can but assorted Hitler related stuff

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    I love Dresden. The rebuilt church is just incredible, the town is full of young people who speak English, the brutalist architecture in the centre is also a gem and seeing a concrete apartment houses right across the street from the city centre is something you won't see anywhere else. They also have a weekend flea market on the river bank, where you can but assorted Hitler related stuff
    ...and it is really easy and cheap to get there by a train.

  11. #61

    Guntruck's Avatar Central England Command Squadron Leader & Librarian
    Colonel

    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Steve
    Location
    Right here!
    Sorties Flown
    11,005
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    ...and it is really easy and cheap to get there by a train.
    If I remember correctly, two and a half hours by train and a quick bus ride to the Army museum, outside of which is an impressive memorial to the Soviet army. Definitely worth the trip.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  12. #62

    Default

    I’d love to come, but not sure the pocket money will stretch that far.

    Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

  13. #63

    Default

    Guys, any news about the Saturday'svenue?
    And what is "official" suggestion? Where to look for hotel or apartment?

  14. #64

    Default

    Three options:
    1. Somewhere relatively close to Svět deskových her (map) as assual: 60%
    2. On the other river bank as Plan B: 30%
    3. Somewhere between I. P. Pavlova and Svět deskových her: 10%

    You can't make a mistake in case of accommodation on metro lines or along the tram line #22.
    Point is there are two days in Svět deskových her anyway (Friday and Sunday) and just Saturday somewhere else (so two times to well known location and one time to unsure venue) - I recommend to hire accommodation according Friday and Sunday.


    Unfortunately there are several thinks we need to consider:
    • Hotel MARS is over. Forever. It would be rebuilt for appartments.
    • Gutovka (last year venue) was an expensive choice (10000CZK just for rent) - unsustainable.
    • Svět deskových her isn't work dor for 30+ participants.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 02-22-2023 at 00:40.

  15. #65

    Default

    I added Fabio and Neil on the list. Please, if you still thinking about participation, let me know - we are talking about Saturday venue right now and need to know how many pilots would join

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Three options:
    1. Somewhere relatively close to Svět deskových her (map) as assual: 60%
    2. On the other river bank as Plan B: 30%
    3. Somewhere between I. P. Pavlova and Svět deskových her: 10%

    You can't make a mistake in case of accommodation on metro lines or along the tram line #22.
    Point is there are two days in Svět deskových her anyway (Friday and Sunday) and just Saturday somewhere else (so two times to well known location and one time to unsure venue) - I recommend to hire accommodation according Friday and Sunday.


    Unfortunately there are several thinks we need to consider:
    • Hotel MARS is over. Forever. It would be rebuilt for appartments.
    • Gutovka (last year venue) was an expensive choice (10000CZK just for rent) - unsustainable.
    • Svět deskových her isn't work dor for 30+ participants.
    I trust in your choice of venue Dan


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  17. #67

    Default

    Hello Dan (and others),

    Alas I need to tell you I won't be coming to this years Prague Summer Con ... (note: emphasis on "this years" ...)
    I do hope you all have a great time battling & beering.

    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

  18. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Hello Dan (and others),

    Alas I need to tell you I won't be coming to this years Prague Summer Con ... (note: emphasis on "this years" ...)
    I do hope you all have a great time battling & beering.

    cheers,
    Guus


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Hello Dan (and others),

    Alas I need to tell you I won't be coming to this years Prague Summer Con ... (note: emphasis on "this years" ...)
    I do hope you all have a great time battling & beering.

    cheers,
    Guus
    Oh, no!

    Sorry to read this - I was looking forward to meeting up again.
    Maybe Doncaster?

    Cheers
    Tim
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  20. #70


    Users Country Flag


    Name
    Massimo
    Location
    Roma
    Sorties Flown
    1
    Join Date
    Jun 2022

    Default

    hi Dan, me and my twelve year old son would like to participate to the event next april. Do I have to sign up in some form or is it enough to write you here? Thanks. Massimo

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momax View Post
    hi Dan, me and my twelve year old son would like to participate to the event next april. Do I have to sign up in some form or is it enough to write you here? Thanks. Massimo
    Hi Massimo, there is no official form. Dan will just put you on the list at the beginning of this thead.
    Looking forward to meet you and your son in Prague.

  22. #72

    Default

    Working on my two WW1 scenarios…
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momax View Post
    hi Dan, me and my twelve year old son would like to participate to the event next april. Do I have to sign up in some form or is it enough to write you here? Thanks. Massimo
    This is great news! It will be a record edition as far as Italian attendances are concerned. And with a great selection of pilots!

  24. #74

    Default

    Hello Dan and friends!
    Please count me in. This year I will definitely attend!
    Thanks,

    Riccardo

  25. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Momax View Post
    hi Dan, me and my twelve year old son would like to participate to the event next april. Do I have to sign up in some form or is it enough to write you here? Thanks. Massimo
    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Working on my two WW1 scenarios…
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    This is great news! It will be a record edition as far as Italian attendances are concerned. And with a great selection of pilots!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    Hello Dan and friends!
    Please count me in. This year I will definitely attend!
    Thanks,

    Riccardo
    Thank for it! Missions and pilots are welcomed, great

    I made a major update of the list and let me announce we chose also a venue for Saturday - a pub near Láďa's store. We can stay there whole day and event

  26. #76

    Default

    Everything sounds great. What about the UK Wing? I do not see much participation from there yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I made a major update of the list and let me announce we chose also a venue for Saturday - a pub near Láďa's store. We can stay there whole day and event
    This is great! The biggest question is: shall we bring something for the International Buffet, or not?

    Andrzej, first time I went you proposed a great scenario with Polish fighters against Italian Macchi fighters & Fiat bombers in the desert. Seeing the good participation both from Poland and from Italy, maybe we could play it again...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Praga5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	324289

  27. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    ...
    The biggest question is: shall we bring something for the International Buffet, or not?
    ...
    Yes, the man, who refuse Italian and French food, is a barbarian! But please, not for Saturday. Do you think Sunday is possible or Friday would be better because shorter time needed for it in fridge?

    The agreement pub is we are there for free if everyone would spend 750CZK there in average (=30€). No need to push yourself into anything, the rest can be paid from donations. Fair enough for me.

  28. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Yes, the man, who refuse Italian and French food, is a barbarian! But please, not for Saturday. Do you think Sunday is possible or Friday would be better because shorter time needed for it in fridge?
    Well, since on Sunday at the end of the morning somebody leaves even in a rush, probably it would be better to plan an International Snack on Friday (or Fryday if Scottish Eggs are involved). IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    The agreement pub is we are there for free if everyone would spend 750CZK there in average (=30€). No need to push yourself into anything, the rest can be paid from donations. Fair enough for me.
    Cheap prices of beer in Prague make this a bit of a challenge, but I feel that I can do my part. Especially since we will be there at lunchtime!

  29. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Yes, the man, who refuse Italian and French food, is a barbarian! But please, not for Saturday. Do you think Sunday is possible or Friday would be better because shorter time needed for it in fridge?

    The agreement pub is we are there for free if everyone would spend 750CZK there in average (=30€). No need to push yourself into anything, the rest can be paid from donations. Fair enough for me.
    Indeed - nice organisation.

    Would love to knock out that 750CZK with beer & food. 🍻
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  30. #80

  31. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    What about the UK Wing? I do not see much participation from there yet.
    I am the UK Wing this year - no one else can make it
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

  32. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Indeed - nice organisation.

    Would love to knock out that 750CZK with beer & food. ��
    I will second that.


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  33. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I am the UK Wing this year - no one else can make it
    Ah but an excellent representative. Its lonely in the French section so meet you in the bar


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  34. #84

    Default

    Food on friday seems like a good idea. sort of aperos as they say in France before the main onslaught in the evening .


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  35. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Well, since on Sunday at the end of the morning somebody leaves even in a rush, probably it would be better to plan an International Snack on Friday (or Fryday if Scottish Eggs are involved). IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Food on friday seems like a good idea. sort of aperos as they say in France before the main onslaught in the evening .
    I agree, let me confirm international bufet for Friday evening. I'll try to leave my office early to be there in advance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Cheap prices of beer in Prague make this a bit of a challenge, but I feel that I can do my part. Especially since we will be there at lunchtime!
    Definitely, I expect we won't move for dinner too (the only exception is that we would not be satisfied with cousine, but hope not). It should be sum of all bills, so we have an ace: thank you for your tireless service, Nemanja!

    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Ah but an excellent representative. Its lonely in the French section so meet you in the bar
    I am happy you are comming every time, Tim, but combination with Origins will make you WoG year very special

  36. #86

    Default

    Have you got an address for this glorious pub/games room / restaurant ?
    Just so I can get my compass set for the trams on Saturday


    I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

  37. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Ah but an excellent representative. Its lonely in the French section so meet you in the bar
    So we can form a „Waterloo formation“ with that small German section…
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Missions

  1. Site: Wings of Prague Raffle #2
    By matt56 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2019, 13:14
  2. [B]Wings of Prague Raffle #2[/B]
    By matt56 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 18:23
  3. Wings of Prague Raffle #1
    By matt56 in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-28-2019, 09:59
  4. Wings of Prague Raffle #2
    By matt56 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2019, 05:42
  5. Wings of Prague Raffle #1
    By matt56 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-09-2018, 20:23

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •