Ares Games

Thread: A more accessible Wings of Glory

Default A more accessible Wings of Glory

L’Arche comunità l’Arcobaleno (Bologna, Italy - http://www.larchebologna.it/ ) developed a simplified set of rules to allow people with disabilities to better enjoy the game. They got inspiration fron the Pocket Travel edition on issue #25 of IoGioco.
    The rules are standard - so basic ones and special damages - with a few differences.
    The game sequence is planning one card - play it - fire. This makes planning more immediate and quicker.
    Straight is mandatory after the Immelmann, not before - again, it require less planning in advance.
    No jamming, no explosions.
    Special damages to rudders are as in standard rules. Engine and wounded pilot means no firing for three maneuvers. Being wounded twice means being dead.
    A simplified, visual rule sheet has been prepared and distributed to players:

Name:  RegoleWGFsemplificato.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  86.3 KB

Simplified maneuvre decks have been prepared with one maneuvre per kind, removing duplicates and altitude cards.
    Tokens have been given to each player to count damages: at start they have as many as the sustainable damages, then they are discarded when damage is suffered.
    Damage deck (from the two standard decks in the Rules Pack) has been simplified removing all special effects not in use (explosion, jamming machine guns, smoke) and keeping only six 0s, for a quicker game.
    It works. Players are having fun and seems to like the game quite a lot.
    For me it's a real honour that such a team of new pilots enjoys my little game.
    Thanks so much to Luca Errani who worked on that together with all the team of L’Arche comunità l’Arcobaleno, and to Ares Games providing game materials.
    If anybody will be at the Play game fair in Modena next Friday and Saturday, May 20th and 21st 2022, this version of the game can be seen and played at Pavillon F Stand 10.
    (besides, BG Storico will demo WW2 every day from opening to closing, Regia Aeronautica vs. RAF, at Pav.D - D04, and I will join them on Saturday at 11.30; IoGioco magazine will sell the issue with the Pocket Travel Edition of the game and allow to play it at their stand).

Name:  IMG_6396.jpeg
Views: 303
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6390.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  272.8 KB
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 05-17-2022 at 06:22.

This is so great!

One card per turn is a far more reactive game and a lot of fun. I'm sure this will go down very well & make the game more inclusive.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Grand idea!
    I wish it every success.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What a superb idea.

To make the game more accessable to those with ability challenges. I love the fact that this is a move towards accessability for all in table top gaming. If those card holders were marketed I would buy them myself. As for the one card move, I have always enjoyed the two cards of WW2 and Sails rather than three.
    So who is to say that one card is not the way to go!
    Well done that man.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

One card each turn, with planning in the same turn you use the card, is also the introductory system in WW2 Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory, the two-cards planning (one each turn with delay) being the standard level. It was also the initial rule in WW2 Wings of War, but when we changed publisher we introduced this simplified way of playing.

How can a "wargame" brings a joy and fun for those who need them the most? Just let author do his job

Nightbomber prooved many years ago WoW/WoG is pretty fine for kids/disabled/seniors (great connection between generations) and it is nice there is a way how to simplify for others

Wonderful! That is really awesome!

I've played one card planning for years with one of my local groups. Feels MUCH more like a dogfight and is great fun

Similar Missions

1. National: Wings of Glory / Wings of Past / Wings of Money
    By gratefulbob in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-21-2017, 10:38
  2. National: Wings of Glory a Napoli - Wings of Glory in Neaples
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 02:02
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  4. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23