Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM Mission 9: The Death of Chivalry – 5 Dec 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-BYM Mission 9: The Death of Chivalry – 5 Dec 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-BYM Mission 9: The Death of Chivalry – 5 Dec 1916 by ShadowDragon

Original scenario by Baz:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...1916-by-Hu-Rhu

Notes:

Due to the length of the game and the complexity of the action, I’ve opted for an episodic approach by which I follow different engagements sequentially even if those engagements were concurrent. There’s a “Turn X.Y” in the top left corner of each photo to indicate “Phase Y” of “Turn X”. Where it indicates “Turn X.0”, it is because the only thing of note is the drawing of a “fire damage” card. Otherwise the photo is essentially the positions of the planes at the end of the previous turn’s 3rd phase. Hopefully the turn labels will help in understanding how the various “episodes” fit together.

I try to adjust counters (jamming, climbing, etc.) for the end of each phase (i.e., if 2 jamming counters are shown that reflects that one counter has been removed for the given phase). However, I didn’t always get the counters adjusted before I took the photo, so if it looks wrong it’s because of that. I did forget a couple of times during the game but I corrected those using my photostream to go back and see where I missed doing so.

Photos are not shown for all phases. I did take the photos but including them all would have more than doubled the number of photos while showing nothing more than planes circling about.

Story
    The members of X Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, were on deck milling about. The squadron commander, Sir Henry Rumsbottle was pacing back and forth, muttering to himself.

The Aussie Flight Sub-Lieutenant (FSL) Bruce Dundee, the squadron’s leading ace, was there leaning on his crutches. He had been injured in a mid-air collision with a Hun aeroplane. He should have been in hospital, but he had begged for an early release to rejoin his mates. Besides the hospital wasn’t as interesting since Nurse Schultz had decided to keep a tight grip on her staff. Bruce blamed the shenanigans of one of the nearby RFC squadrons for that. Bruce was worried when he found out that three of the squadrons aces had gone out the previous day and none had returned. They included not only the scout flight commander, Nigel Flashman, but also his leading competitor, the Canadian Jack Wilde and his fellow countryman and cousin, Baz Lanister.

Apparently Jack had been rescued from his downed plans by some Canadian infantryman and was currently being driven back to the naval station. Finally the lorry hove into view and stopped in front of the squadron’s administrative building, where Sir Henry had been pacing. Jack got out. His right arm was in a sling which led to an awkward attempt on Jack’s part to salute Sir Henry.

“Well, man, do you think you’re up to telling the tale or should you head to the infirmary.”

“Nah…er, no, sir. My countrymen looked me over and patched me up. Should be right as rain after a week. Just some bruising – no broken bones.”

There was the unmistaken smell of Canadian rye whiskey on the Jack’s breath, but Sir Henry decided on this occasion to ignore the less than martial attitude of the flyer.

“Step into the office and you can give me your report, Wilde.”

The scout flight’s 2IC, Jock MacDonald interrupted, “Sir, all the lads here have been sleepless with worry. Perhaps on this one occasion they can listen in on the report – in the mess?”

Sir Henry hated breaking with protocol, but it was important to keep up morale. “Very well.”

A short time later they all crowded into the officer’s mess, whether they were officers or not. Sir Henry and the duty officer of the day were seated at a table with Jack opposite.

Jack’s tale….

AN ACT OF CHIVALRY

As you know, sir, we had just received the new Sopwith triplanes. Mine was the first to be ready after being repainted in our “unofficial” schemes – and, boy oh boy, am I grateful that you’ve allowed us to continue with that. Sir Henry winced, but thought….it’s good for the morale of the lads.

Well, Jack drawled, I thought I’d take it up for a trial flight and at the same time drop a wreath on the aerodrome of the Hun hard luck Jasta in respect for their recent losses and seeing as we’ve been giving them a rough go since the summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM0901.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	314289

The Huns on the ground at the aerodrome seemed to know what was up and gave me a wave. Maybe when this is all over…. Jack hesitated and decided not to continue with that line of thinking. Anyway, it was perfect drop and I turned and climbed – and, wow, this new aeroplane is some climber.

Name:	BYM0902.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	314290

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

It was just as I was turning and climbing that I spotted a new Hun aeroplane, painted in white – as if the Albatri we’ve been facing weren’t bad enough. It was heading for the aerodrome but it turned and headed straight for me. I suppose the Hun thought I was strafing the aerodrome. Paying one’s respects is one thing but self-preservation is kinda important too, so I thought the best thing was to take him seeing that he was between me and our lines.

Name:	BYM0903.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	314291

Well, darn, if this new plane didn’t have two machineguns – just like the Albatri we’ve been fighting of late – so he did a fair bit of damage to the triplane, but I think I managed to hit the pilot.

Name:	BYM0904.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	314292

It was while I was tangling with the white plane and debating if I should head for home that two Albatri appeared, doing a patrol just behind the Hun trenches. If I headed for home they’d intercept me so I turned back to chase the white plane.

Name:	BYM0905.jpg 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	314293

One of the Albatri, with a red rear end, headed towards me. The other, with an all yellow fuselage, turned away. I didn’t see why at first.

Name:	BYM0906.jpg 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	314294

X SQUADRON TO THE RESCUE

Then it was clear. Flashman and Baz were doing a patrol and the other Albatros was headed for them. It looked like they were in for a fight with three twin-gunned foes, so I decided to stick around and help out.

Name:	BYM0907.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	314295

The red Albatros got on my case real fast. This was the chance to see what these new tripes could do.

Name:	BYM0908.jpg 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	314296

These tripes are great but it takes some getting used to them. I misjudged my speed and missed hitting the red Albatros. The Hun didn’t seem to have that problem and I felt a couple of slugs hit me, but no blood. Apparently that bible my ma gave me for good luck….and, er, well, spiritual inspiration, took the sting out of the bullets. It’s one solid bible – I keep it under my flight suit. I’ve got it here. Jack showed everyone the bible with two bullets embedded in it’s thick pages. Wait til I show ma. Miracle the bullets didn’t pass clean through.

Name:	BYM0909.jpg 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	314297

I guess Baz figured Flashman could handle the yellow Albatros and headed over to help me – seeing as I was facing 2-on-1 odds in the Hun’s favour – or 4-on-1 if one counts machineguns.

Name:	BYM0910.jpg 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	314298

The red Albatros must have been focussed on me because no sooner did Baz get into the fray and the two collided. Looked to me like the red Albatros was the worse for it.

Name:	BYM0911.jpg 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	314299

After that melee we got ourselves sorted out. Baz was a bit out of position so the two Huns both decided to take me out.

Name:	BYM0912.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	314300

The red Albatros managed a weak shot as I went into an Immelmann turn.

Name:	BYM0913.jpg 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	314301

The turn put me in a great position to hit the red Albatros just as Baz arrived to join in. I think I did some engine damage while Baz hit a fuel line setting the Hun on fire.

Name:	BYM0914.jpg 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	314302

At first it didn’t look like the fire would do much.

Name:	BYM0915.jpg 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	314303

But with the collision damage, the Hun must have been hurtin’ badly enough to break off.

Name:	BYM0916.jpg 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	314304

Sure enough, the fire flared and the red Albatros went spiralling down. Now it was 3-on-2 and maybe we could clear the skies of the Huns.

Name:	BYM0917.jpg 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	314305

The new white, Hun aeroplane, was a better climber than the Albatri, but I was sure I must have wounded the pilot earlier since he wasn’t able to return fire after an Immelmann as Baz came back at him.

Name:	BYM0918.jpg 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	314306

After that encounter, it seemed that with the tripe I could deal with the white aeroplane.

Name:	BYM0919.jpg 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	314307

On the other hand, I looked like Flashman was having some trouble, so I signalled to Baz to break off the fight with the white Hun and join Flashman.

Name:	BYM0920.jpg 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	314308

...to be continued. The site is having a terrible time handling 49 photo attachments.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-06-2022 at 10:18.

Part 2 continued from part 1

THE DUEL OF THE FLIGHT LEADERS

To tell you that we have to go back to when the yellow Albatros headed off towards Flashman and Baz. As I told Baz passed by the Albatros to help me since Flashman was tailing the Albatros - a firing great position but there’s just not enough bullets coming out of one machinegun.

Name:	BYM0921.jpg 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	314357

After the first attempt at the Albatros with not much to show for it, Flashman and the Hun circled around.

Name:	BYM0922.jpg 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	314358

The second attempt was a fair exchange – if one machinegun against two is fair, but the Hun’s machineguns seemed to get jammed.

Name:	BYM0923.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	314359

So Flashman and the Hun circled around for another go.

Name:	BYM0924.jpg 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	314360

This time Flashman got the drop on the Hun and the Vickers managed to get a few slugs into the Hun machine.

Name:	BYM0925.jpg 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	314361

It was at this point I saw Flashman and the Hun flying side by side. I’m sure they were sharing words – words I’m sure my ma wouldn’t appreciate.

Name:	BYM0926.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	314362

I guess they said what had to be said and broke off from their parley.

Name:	BYM0927.jpg 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	314363

Maybe Flashman had some thoughts about what the Hun said, so he flew back towards the Hun.

Name:	BYM0928.jpg 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	314364

The Hun wouldn’t let it go either and after a split-S, it was head-to-head between him and Flashman. Flashman seemed to do some decent damage but the Hun put Flashman’s Pup aflame in return.

Name:	BYM0929.jpg 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	314365

At first it looked like Flashman would keep the fire in control.

Name:	BYM0930.jpg 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	314366

But the Pup had suffered enough damage. Flashman waggled his wings to indicate he was heading for the station.

Name:	BYM0931.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	314367

But suddenly, just like what happened to the red Albatros, the fire took off and Flashman was down. Baz had joined the fight and had kept the yellow Albatros away from Flashman but that didn’t matter none. Flashman was down and it was now 2-on-2.

Name:	BYM0932.jpg 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	314368

THE LATEST AEROPLANES TANGO OR IS IT THE FOXTROT

Perhaps we should have called it a day, but I couldn’t let the white Hun go seeing as he started all the trouble after I dropped the wreath to pay my respects. Plus I didn’t want the Huns to think that their new machine was better than ours.

Name:	BYM0933.jpg 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	314369

The Hun was just below me but with an Immelmann I was on his tail and firing away but the white aeroplane seemed charmed.

Name:	BYM0934.jpg 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	314370

I stayed glued to the Hun’s tail, firing like mad…

Name:	BYM0935.jpg 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	314371

…but I might as well been firing blanks. Maybe our people can get us aeroplanes with dual machineguns.

“Maybe if you practiced your shooting it would help”, Bruce interjected.

Name:	BYM0936.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	314372

I finally got close enough that I could have pelted the Hun with rocks. At that range even a single Vickers couldn’t miss.

Name:	BYM0937.jpg 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	314373

It appeared the Hun had had enough and was breaking off.

Name:	BYM0938.jpg 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	314374

But my dander was up by now. I had one more chance and made the most of it. The Vickers was on fire – but not with flames, eh – and scored direct hits on the cockpit. The Hun pilot slumped over and the badly damaged white aeroplane was down. It was 2-on-1 for the navy…or was it.

Name:	BYM0939.jpg 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	314375

...to be continued.

Continued from part 2

BAZ SEEKS REVENGE

Baz had managed to get stuck in with the yellow Albatros but the yellow Albatros pilot was having a good day. For a moment I thought I saw a brief flash from the Pup, but nothing came of it.

Name:	BYM0940.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	314376

The Hun might have been having a good day but Baz was doing well too. There’s not enough bullets from a single Vickers to make the most of the opportunities and it doesn’t help when the machinegun jams.

Name:	BYM0941.jpg 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	314377

Baz broke off to clear his jam.

Name:	BYM0942.jpg 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	314378

With a 2nd pass at long range, Baz hit something vital on the Albatros, but the Hun was having a good day. He hit Baz. Maybe badly. He was slumped over in the cockpit.

Name:	BYM0943.jpg 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	314379

I was hoping I’d see the fire consume the Albatros – for Baz’s sake, but that wasn’t happening.

Name:	BYM0944.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	314380

THE LAST JOUST OF CHIVALRY

The Baz’s Pup was down and it was now just me and the yellow Hun. Both of our planes had suffered in the gruelling fight.

Name:	BYM0945.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	314381

We came into range with our guns blazing….and so too were our aeroplanes. The Hun was already alight but another fire took hold on the Albatros. Unfortunately the Hun had returned the favour.

Name:	BYM0946.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	314382

At first we both seemed to keep our fires under control.

Name:	BYM0947.jpg 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	314383

As we both discovered there’s a risk with flying close to one another while controlling a fire – we collided. The tripe didn’t suffer much but the Hun’s plane fell apart and he was down. Now I just had to keep the fire under control until I could get back home. (Note: the fire damage card in this photo is for the compulsory straight for the Immelmann while on fire - the turn was split over 2 turns with the straight a “planned” card while on fire.)

Name:	BYM0948.jpg 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	314384

I nearly got there. The tripe’s good but the damage was more than it was take. I managed to crash near our trench line. Turns out a bunch of Canucks were manning that section and they recognized the markings of a “Canadian Ace”. They rushed over despite fire from the Hun trenches and had me safe in a dug out before I knew it. You see, sir, there’s an advantage to distinctive markings.

Sorry it took me longer to get back than I should have but their doc had checked me out and then my hosts insisted I tell them some tall tales of flying. Refusing my rescuers would have been lacking in manners.

Name:	BYM0949.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	314385

“It’s not as if a lack of manners ever bothered you before, Sub-lieutenant. And what of Flashman and Lanister?”

“I don’t know, sir. Flashman crashed near the Hun trenches and Baz didn’t quite make it to the trench lines – so if he survived the crash he might be in enemy hands. I doubt he was conscious when the Pup went down. As for Flashman, his Pup was on fire so if the Huns didn’t get him, he probably didn’t make it out of the wreckage alive.”

Across the lines, a somewhat singed Oberleutnant was chuffed at the day’s accomplishments. Technically it was 3-for-3 but taking down 3 of the aces of their RNAS nemesis seemed like a great victory.

Scenario Results
    Sea Dog Score
    Planes shot down = 3 X 10 pts = 30 pts
    Total = 30 points

Adler Score
    Planes shot down = 3 X 10 pts = 30 pts
    Total = 30 points

A draw but a bad one for X squadron. The C&W / E&E rolls are a game all unto their own.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-07-2022 at 03:47.

Butcher’s Tally

The Sea Dogs
    FCdr Nigel Flashman: PC10 Pup - SD-FLM-NML 0 kills
    C&W: Rolled 8 -2FLM -1NML = 5; Injured- Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 3 = skip 2
    E&E: Rolled 4 -1FLM -1WIC +1NML = 3 - Captured and escaped - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 2 = skip 1

Name:	BB0901.jpg 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	314386

FSL Jack Wilde: Tripe - SD-FLM-NML 2 kills
    C&W: rolled 9 -2FLM -1NML +1ACE (Lucky) = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario, rolled 1 = skip 1
    E&E: rolled 10 -1FLM -1WIC +1NML = 9 - They didn't even see me !

Name:	BB0902.jpg 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	314387

FSL Baz Lanister: Light Blue Pup - SD-ET / WIA / 1 kill
    C&W: rolled 9 - 1WIA -1SD +1ACE (Lucky) = 8 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario, rolled 1 = skip 1
    E&E: rolled 5 -1WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 2 - Captured ! The war ended for this pilot..

Name:	BB0903.jpg 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	314388

The Adlers
    Obltn Fritz Böhning: DII with yellow fuselage - COL-FLM- FT 3 kills
    C&W: rolled 6 - 2COL = 4 - Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios, rolled 1 = skip 1

Name:	BB0904.jpg 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	314389

Fwbl Hans Schobinger: DII with red fuselage - SD-FLM FT 0 kills
    C&W: rolled 9 -2FLM = 7 - Injured - Skip 1D2 Scenario, rolled 6 = skip 2

Name:	BB0905.jpg 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	314390

Fwbl Hans Anslinger: DIII - SD-FT / 2 X WIA / 0 kills
    C&W: rolled 8 -1 SD -2 WIA = 5 - Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios, rolled 2 = skip 1

Name:	BB0906.jpg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	314391
    Last edited by flash; 05-07-2022 at 04:28.

Well played Paul, what a donnybrook ! Böhning is living up to his name He'll get a gong for that effort, for sure. Lost yer Baz though but at least he'll survive the war.

Uncle says:

Well, so much for paying our respects - Next time we'll just lob one out over their rear areas & let them sort their own delivery !
    Three machines lost, two pilots knocked about and one in the bag. This won't do but on the plus side we gave as good as we got and seems we've identified a new type over the front so not a total loss.
    FsLt John 'Jack' Wilde receives a bar to his Military Cross for his tenth & eleventh victories today for King & country He is also awarded the Legion of Honour by our grateful allies. Well worth celebrating

On t'other side:
    ObLtn Fritz Böhning receives the Iron Cross 2nd class for his victories today for the Kaiser
    Last edited by flash; 05-07-2022 at 08:19.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A typical tall tale from your Canucks although I think you are the first one to loser Baz, fortunately as a POW rather than something more serious.
    Nurse Schultz is quite right to keep a tight rein on the hospital with your vagrants on the loose looking for sympathy where none is due.

However also another good story for your lads and whilst it might have been a draw it seemed like a win when I read it.

The pale blue pup looks like the dogs bo****s, is that an actual fighting colour scheme or is it a training pilots scheme?

Nice game and write up.
    Cheers

That seemed like a very long game and with such a dramatic result! A great story line and writing and I love the colour schemes of your planes even more. First class.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    A typical tall tale from your Canucks although I think you are the first one to loser Baz, fortunately as a POW rather than something more serious.
    Nurse Schultz is quite right to keep a tight rein on the hospital with your vagrants on the loose looking for sympathy where none is due.

However also another good story for your lads and whilst it might have been a draw it seemed like a win when I read it.

The pale blue pup looks like the dogs bo****s, is that an actual fighting colour scheme or is it a training pilots scheme?

Nice game and write up.
    Cheers
    Thanks, John. I think I'm the 2nd to lose 'Baz'; the other 'Baz' was first but he's a Hun player. Anyway, my 'Baz' ended up an ace and will survive the war courtesy of der Kaiser.

I don't know about my vagrants, but yours certainly need watching.

It was certainly a win for Oblt Fritz Bohning. He's been around since the first mission of the DYM campaign when he went down in flames. I expect he's been nursing (not a Nurse Schultz nursing, but...nursing) a grudge since then. For him to get 3 victories - all of them aces and two of them 'lucky' ones at that - in one outing is sweet revenge.

The pale blue pup is based on the pale blue 'Suds' Camel, serial C1555, from 78 Home Defence Squadron. It was flown by FL Luxmore on 29-30 Jan 1918 on an anti-Gotha patrol and by SP Gamon on 16-17 Feb on another anti-Gotha patrol. My idea has been that the light blue Pup will be replaced by a light blue tripe and finally by the light blue 'Suds' Camel. i have some Valom Camels waiting to be built - one for just that purpose.

There's a small write up on the plane and the two pilots on the Wingnut Wings website: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3155

It's always a win when one can get a good story out of it....sometimes the C&W/E&E do more than their fair share in that regard. Just one higher score for the C&W or a smidge further on the mat and Baz would not have been captured...well, he would have but he would have escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    That seemed like a very long game and with such a dramatic result! A great story line and writing and I love the colour schemes of your planes even more. First class.
    Thanks for the interesting mission, Gary. It was long - about three times longer than my typical games. Sometimes games go that way and this one did. Certainly things like drawing bunches of '0' damage cards will do that. There weren't many special damage cards either - especially after two were nullified by the "lucky" ace skill.

An Epic Tale but definitely the Death of Chivalry!

Sorry to see Baz lost to the ranks of POW.
    Lucky Pilot doesn't help terrible E&E results.

Looks like our Adler Böhning will be one to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    ...to be continued. The site is having a terrible time handling 49 photo attachments.
    I have noticed the site being 'flaky' over the last week or two.
    I hate it when there a lot of photos to load and its like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    An Epic Tale but definitely the Death of Chivalry!

Sorry to see Baz lost to the ranks of POW.
    Lucky Pilot doesn't help terrible E&E results.

Looks like our Adler Böhning will be one to watch.
    Lucky pilot did it's job with the 'boom' card. Just a smidge over the mat edge and it would have been a different E&E. In fact, initially I thought Baz was in NML and his E&E would have been "captured and escaped", but even with that result I got "skip 3" which would have meant he was out for the campaign. It's not clear there'll be a follow on campaign so that was an okay result. Better than KIA.

I'm glad Fritz got the result he did. Siegried, my top Adler was out for this one. Now both Siegried and Fritz have 4 kills. It's a race to see who will be my first Adler ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have noticed the site being 'flaky' over the last week or two.
    I hate it when there a lot of photos to load and its like that.
    Posting the AAR almost took as long as the game!

"One of the Albatri, with a red rear end," I have no words, just images.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    "One of the Albatri, with a red rear end," I have no words, just images.
    LoL. What can you expect from a rough and ready Albertan cowboy? Certainly Rumsbottle has given up.

You have inspired me to dig out my Collishaw Tripe for our next battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    You have inspired me to dig out my Collishaw Tripe for our next battle.
    That’s the spirit, Gary.

Well done, Paul! That was a fun read and quite a nasty furball. Great to see those pretty planes in action.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Well done, Paul! That was a fun read and quite a nasty furball. Great to see those pretty planes in action.
    Glad you enjoyed it, Chris. Makes the effort of wading through all those photos I took to pull out a storyline that can be followed and hopefully enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well played Paul, what a donnybrook ! Böhning is living up to his name He'll get a gong for that effort, for sure. Lost yer Baz though but at least he'll survive the war.
    Thanks, Dave. I'm pleased that I made very few errors and none that were only noticed when it was too late to correct. With a game of this length, I'd usually screw up a few things. So all good with one exception. Initially I thought Baz went down in NML and had rolled as such but on review I noticed he was just one peg width into BEL. Darn. All the difference between a "captured" and "captured and escaped" E&E. Of course, it's always easier if you're not shot down in the first place. That's where the Adler special damages hurt. I ended up using both "lucky pilot" skills early on, but having Jack or Baz go back to the barn when there was still some fight left in them seemed cowardly; so from then on they were "at risk".

I'll PM you with Jack's 2nd ace skill.

Lost my Baz, but I'm pleased he made ace and survived the war.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-07-2022 at 08:39.

That's quite the tale! (Rep gun jammed.) I think it more fitting that Flashman be captured and escape so he can tell the tale to Blackadder and the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    That's quite the tale! (Rep gun jammed.) I think it more fitting that Flashman be captured and escape so he can tell the tale to Blackadder and the boys.
    That's is more fitting. Perhaps that's why Flashman is taking one mission to return after escaping. I was thinking of extending the story a bit to include Flashman's return, but I'll probably tack that onto the next mission.

Hi Paul

Great story and paint jobs on the models. Interesting times with the new planes to see what comes out on top. A long game in all respects, know what you mean about the site as I took over 4 hours to upload last scenario, having to reload pictures twice.

Have REP if not jammed

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Hi Paul

Great story and paint jobs on the models. Interesting times with the new planes to see what comes out on top. A long game in all respects, know what you mean about the site as I took over 4 hours to upload last scenario, having to reload pictures twice.

Have REP if not jammed
    Thanks for the rep....apparently "not jammed".

I flew the Tripe and had a bit of an adjustment to the greater speed compared to the Pup and also to the two sharp right turns versus the Pup's D* deck with one for each direction. It will be interesting to see the difference between the Tripe and DIII - speed & maneuverability versus 'A' damage. The difference in sustainable damage I don't think will be significant. The DII, especially if you play altitude, seems like it will be outclassed.

A bout for the ages. Thunderdome, 6 go in, none come out!

Great story as always Paul and wonderful planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    A bout for the ages. Thunderdome, 6 go in, none come out!

Great story as always Paul and wonderful planes.
    It's not often that all planes are shot down. Durn "fire" cards.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2022, 05:59
  2. AAR BYM Mission 5 - Only if You Really Help, 5th Nov 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2022, 19:16
  3. AAR BYM Mission 4 - Fly by Night - 27 Oct 1916 by ShadowDragon
    By ShadowDragon in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-14-2021, 11:06
  4. BRF BYM Mission 4 - Fly by Night - 27th Oct 1916 by ShadowDragon