Ares Games

Thread: A Camel—With 2 Wing-Mounted Guns?!

Default A Camel—With 2 Wing-Mounted Guns?!

Does anyone know the story, if any, behind this? I’ve never seen a Camel with guns anywhere but the fuselage.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7432D4FC-2F4E-4A87-85C6-AD3FEEB095ED.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	314181

Sopwith Camel "Comic" Night fighter:

The Sopwith 2F.1 Camel used to shoot down Zeppelin L 53, at the Imperial War Museum, London. Note mounting of twin Lewis guns over the top wing. This was so the pilot wasn't blinded by the flash of his guns.

"He is wise who watches"

I do recollect reading about a plane that had 5 machine guns. Apparently there was one on each wing fitted as well as on the top wing. I think that might have been a camel. I am thinking of the adage "there are no old bold pilots" here as it must have been very overweight and unwieldy to fly.

This is probably what you’re referring to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C499BDDB-AAB6-4EFE-9D18-5279E8E6F181.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	314184
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D7BFF56-DB9A-402F-A76F-873DC46F9FB2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	314183
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I do recollect reading about a plane that had 5 machine guns. Apparently there was one on each wing fitted as well as on the top wing. I think that might have been a camel. I am thinking of the adage "there are no old bold pilots" here as it must have been very overweight and unwieldy to fly.

Aha! I see that Wikipedia article! "The second reason to use Lewis guns was to facilitate the use of incendiary ammunition because of the risk of using it in synchronized guns."

My first thought when you said "Zeppelin" was incendiary bullets; what with the Lewis Guns affording you less than half the ammo of the belt-fed Vickers! I couldn't imagine any other way of putting down that behemoth!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sopwith Camel "Comic" Night fighter: The Sopwith 2F.1 Camel used to shoot down Zeppelin L 53, at the Imperial War Museum, London. Note mounting of twin Lewis guns over the top wing. This was so the pilot wasn't blinded by the flash of his guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    Aha! I see that Wikipedia article! "The second reason to use Lewis guns was to facilitate the use of incendiary ammunition because of the risk of using it in synchronized guns."
    That was probably due to the more explosive incendiary types used like Brock or Pomeroy - wouldn't want them hitting a prop or cooking off, that could really spoil your day !

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Disadvantages of a wing mounted machine gun.
    By VieuxCharles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2021, 15:18
  2. General Zepplein Staaken Wing Guns
    By shigleym in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2018, 03:21
  3. Spare wing top lewis guns?
    By Hedeby in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 12:05
  4. Rumpler 2-seater with camera mounted to wing