Ares Games

Thread: Deciphering arcs on W.29 cards

Default Deciphering arcs on W.29 cards

I've just downloaded the plane cards for my Brandenburg W.29 minis but am haveing an interesting time deciphering the firing arcs as there seem to be three on the card: red, blue and violet.

I'm assuming that red is the frontal arc and blue is the rear gunner arc but what does the violet arc(s) indicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    I've just downloaded the plane cards for my Brandenburg W.29 minis but am haveing an interesting time deciphering the firing arcs as there seem to be three on the card: red, blue and violet.

I'm assuming that red is the frontal arc and blue is the rear gunner arc but what does the violet arc(s) indicate?
    What card?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Take it that it's one of these from the Wings of Linen, Wayne ?

It looks to me like the red is the frontal arc, the blue is the rear arc for targets at the same and higher altitudes (like the Roland C.II) and the violet is for targets at lower altitudes left and right of the tail.
    An author might be able to confirm - Daryl (ReducedAirFact) will be able to tell you if he sees this post, or you PM him.
    Last edited by flash; 05-15-2023 at 06:34.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Take it that it's one of these from the Wings of Linen, Wayne ?

It looks to me like the red is the frontal arc, the blue is the rear arc for targets at the same and higher altitudes (like the Roland C.II) and the violet is for targets at lower altitudes left and right of the tail.
    An author might be able to confirm - Daryl (ReducedAirFact) will be able to tell you if he sees this post, or you PM him.
    I have no idea what they did with this. What you surmise seems correct for the plane. There was no rudder sticking up in the way of shooting at the same altitude for the rear gunner, IIRC.

There are game mechanics that don't cover the observer firing arc below level, but many could fire below, to the sides. It isn't played that way, but it should?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Sorry folks, I should have uploaded the cards in question! Dave, you are correct - that’s the one linked to in the Shapeways description for the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I have no idea what they did with this. What you surmise seems correct for the plane. There was no rudder sticking up in the way of shooting at the same altitude for the rear gunner, IIRC. There are game mechanics that don't cover the observer firing arc below level, but many could fire below, to the sides. It isn't played that way, but it should?
    You recall correctly, Mike, the rudder was downward on this machine.

The only game mechanics we have are the blindspot ones that may be applicable.
    This one won't have a blindspot to targets at the same level but will have one to those targets at a lower level - much the same as the Hannover CL.III does but Daryl has split the rear arc emphasising this so it will have a full ruler blindspot to targets at lower altitudes. Personally I would have made that narrower to cover the swing of the rudder not the whole tail but then you have the issue of marking it on the card over the plane image.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Plane Cards: denoting unusual firing arcs and gun-sets
    By ReducedAirFact in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-03-2023, 08:39
  2. B17-D Gunnery Arcs
    By Dak21 in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-22-2020, 13:55
  3. HE-111 Firing Arcs
    By Setarius in forum WGS: General Discussions