Ares Games

Thread: Tailing

Default Tailing

It looks like the official tailing rules, anyhow they look fun on paper, sadly do not work as they should.

How about this:

Once per turn, before a maneuver is flipped, you can ask the enemy you are tailing about a general direction his aircraft is about to fly this phase. He will secretly show you "left, right, straight" following the general direction marks on maneuvers, and you can replan your maneuver before you flip it.

For showing the direction, you can use a token with an arrow on it, or the collision cards.

Similar rules are in Blue Max / Canvas Eagles, and they work fine.

Your proposal looks simple but why not just show the planned card instead of a special token?

The procedure should be done before any other plane has moved otherwise it gives to the tailing player the opportunity to abuse of the replanning to adjust for other targets.

I have never used the tailing rule in WGF.
    I use it quite often against automatic bombers in WGS, though.

I don't use tailing very much, if at all. If you are tailing at the start of a turn, you have choices. After that, it isn't much of an advantage, if you have only the current three planned cards to choose from.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Is it a reduced advantage whether the tailed player shows a maneuver card or token? It might make a difference, if following a plane that has very sharp turn options. To see only a generic turn in a broad direction rather than the actual maneuver, the tailing advantage would be reduced further. Again, dependent on the available planned cards, the tailing player may not have a viable choice to make.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I use it in games I run. It gives the pilot with the advantage one more shot at his target. Usually only one more shot unless the tailer guesses lucky and still has a tail after the turn start.

We tried tailing at Entoyment again recently & it was more bother than it's worth, slowing the game down for no benefit. If we have to wait for someone to re-plan his manoeuvres every phase, as Jan seemingly suggests, it would slow it down even further.
    Still figuring why you have to show the card secretly when the other players' cards are already 'locked in' & only the person tailing can make any change.?
    Does it work in Blue Max / Canvas Eagles because you only fire once per turn after the whole movement rather than part way through it like WoG ?
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...?35249-Tailing
    Last edited by flash; 10-12-2022 at 02:46.

"He is wise who watches"

Secretly because there could be more than one tailing situation happening. You should only be able to see the manoeuvres of the aircraft you are tailing.

That would rarely occur but would be the exception, I guess, no reason otherwise we could see when all the other moves have been planned.

"He is wise who watches"

i agree the rules as written dont really work well. in my experience rearranging the cards ive already planned would do more harm than good.
    i like the general indication idea, but unless youve got some way to secretly communicate it it would be all to easy to tip off everyone at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    ...i like the general indication idea, but unless youve got some way to secretly communicate it it would be all to easy to tip off everyone at the table.
    It's done after all the planning has been made so it should make no difference, they can't change their moves until the game next turn.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It's done after all the planning has been made so it should make no difference, they can't change their moves until the game next turn.

good point.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

I plan to try tailing somewhat differently: My solution will be to allow the tailing ac to select/plan any available movement card from its own deck in responce to the tailed ac planned move declaration. Tailed ac move card revealed to the tailing ac only. No need for secrecy as other ac moves already planned. Changed move must show intention in following the tailed ac movement .....spirt of the game here!
    Will test this idea out over the next few weeks... [available experienced pilots only]. cheers
    Last edited by STEPHEN NAPIER; 01-18-2023 at 04:35.

Similar Missions

1. Tailing
    By Honza in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2022, 01:21
  2. Tailing
    By Dutchy in forum Polls
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-08-2018, 17:14
  3. Tailing rules
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 19