Ares Games

Thread: Why have American DH.4s such a bad climb?

Default Why have American DH.4s such a bad climb?

Why have American DH.4s such a bad climb? I thought they were equipped with 400hp Liberty engines.

There's not a lot of difference between the 400hp Liberty and the 375 Eagle engine that most of the UK DH-4s were powered with.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

And what made the difference?

I have these data for the D.H.4.

Engine time to altitude (minutes.seconds/meters) Ceiling (meters)
    230hp B.H.P 3.18/608, 11.48/1520, 24.36/3040. 4114

200hp R.A.F. 3a 1.25/304, 8/1981, 25.15/4267, 41.3/5181. 5334
    230hp Puma 7.3/1981, 14/3040, 28.3/4560. 5303
    375hp R.R. Eagle VIII 4.5/1828, 9/3040, 14.45/4267, 23.3/5486. 6705
    400hp Liberty 12 8.3/1981, 14.48/3040, 33.42/4560. 5334
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 04-17-2022 at 11:57.

IIRC, weight. The Liberty was a powerful engine, but its power to weight ratio was hot steaming garbage. Might as well pack the nose full of boat anchors...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

The DH.4 started with 250 hp (190 kW) Eagle III engines and subsequently built with improved versions of that engine until the 375hp R.R. Eagle VIII was developed. It was the shortage of supply of that later engine that led to it being fitted with the Liberty L12 and other engines listed by Andrea. I wonder what the stats of those earlier RR types would look like ?
    Currently the model uses the fast deck H - fitted with the Eagle VIII the (wiki) stats suggest it could be used with the very fast A* deck - 143mph (230kph) at sea level so, potentially, maybe this model could be used at different times with different deck speeds ? (*sans Immelmann)
    I've used it in the past with the average speed K deck as a loaded weight, switching to the H deck once it dropped it's eggs for a fast getaway. It worked well and allowed the intercepting Fokker D.VII's a chance to catch their targets on the way in.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thank you guys!
    Last edited by Honza; 04-18-2022 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    IIRC, weight. The Liberty was a powerful engine, but its power to weight ratio was hot steaming garbage. Might as well pack the nose full of boat anchors...
    I agree with this assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I should have remembered that
    That's why the Liberty-engined Bristol fighter was such a failure!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The Liberty might have been rated at 400 HP, but in practice it delivered considerably less.

Its power-to-weight ratio was very poor.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The Liberty might have been rated at 400 HP, but in practice it delivered considerably less.

Its power-to-weight ratio was very poor.
    But, hey; made in the USA, so it's all good
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    But, hey; made in the USA, so it's all good
    Karl
    That's what Detroit said until Toyota and Honda beat them up and took their lunch money, too...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The DH.4 started with 250 hp (190 kW) Eagle III engines and subsequently built with improved versions of that engine until the 375hp R.R. Eagle VIII was developed. It was the shortage of supply of that later engine that led to it being fitted with the Liberty L12 and other engines listed by Andrea. I wonder what the stats of those earlier RR types would look like ?
    Currently the model uses the fast deck H - fitted with the Eagle VIII the (wiki) stats suggest it could be used with the very fast A* deck - 143mph (230kph) at sea level so, potentially, maybe this model could be used at different times with different deck speeds ? (*sans Immelmann)
    I've used it in the past with the average speed K deck as a loaded weight, switching to the H deck once it dropped it's eggs for a fast getaway. It worked well and allowed the intercepting Fokker D.VII's a chance to catch their targets on the way in.
    You bring up something here I’ve wondered about. Has anyone ever created some sort of table for switching decks when a plane drops its bomb load?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    You bring up something here I’ve wondered about. Has anyone ever created some sort of table for switching decks when a plane drops its bomb load?
    Not that I know of, but I've often downgraded a bomb-carrying 2 seater to the next slower deck.
    What Dave mentions above with the K deck for a loaded DH-4 is exactly what I do.
    I find this works much better than a required stall move in each turn; that's very jarring.
    Karl

Do you guys play steep maneuvers while loaded?

Of course!

Climb, Dive and Stalls are all "steep", and can all be played while "loaded".

Steep 90 turns and wide side slips may be too much.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-21-2022 at 00:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Steep 90 turns and wide side slips may be too much.
    I've only used it with tandems, more as a mechanic to allow the interceptors to intercept and as Sam says it makes thing a bit smoother than using a stall every turn. The only tandem with a steep 90 turn is the Hannover & I'd allow it as its few bombs are carried internally. None have a wide sideslip, steep or otherwise. It's not steep but I wouldn't allow the Immelmann card for the few that have it.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I've only used it with tandems, more as a mechanic to allow the interceptors to intercept and as Sam says it makes thing a bit smoother than using a stall every turn. The only tandem with a steep 90 turn is the Hannover & I'd allow it as its few bombs are carried internally. None have a wide sideslip, steep or otherwise. It's not steep but I wouldn't allow the Immelmann card for the few that have it.
    Agreed.

In WGS, the Immelmann is banned for planes carrying ordnance.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2016, 05:22
  2. Climb Rates for D.II and CL.II?
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 11:33
  3. To Climb or Not to Climb
    By brucewallace in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 15:48
  4. Replies: 1