Ares Games

Thread: Tailing

Default Tailing

The Rules (page 17) say that tailing is checked before each planning phase, and then again at the beginning of the second movement step.

Why do you think rules say it should be checked before each planning phase? It can be simply checked before each movement phase (i understand the third movement step can be skipped).

I also wondered why you can't acquire a tail before the 2nd movement card.

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post

It can be simply checked before each movement phase (i understand the third movement step can be skipped).
    No, it can't.

The Rules as written enforce the fact that 'Tailing' can only be INITIATED on the first card of a three card play sequence.
    If it could "simply be checked before each movement phase" it could be INITIATED on the Second card, even though it was not in play on the preceding First card.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I also wondered why you can't acquire a tail before the 2nd movement card.
    I don't know - perhaps to 'speed' the game by limiting the number of times the players need to check for 'Tailing'?

Perhaps to reward good planning, and reduce the rewarding of lucky play?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I don't know - perhaps to 'speed' the game by limiting the number of times the players need to check for 'Tailing'?

Perhaps to reward good planning, and reduce the rewarding of lucky play?
    Yes, I agree it could slow the game a bit if you could tail mid-turn.

A reward for good planning and not to lucky mid-turn positions, very good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    No, it can't.

The Rules as written enforce the fact that 'Tailing' can only be INITIATED on the first card of a three card play sequence.
    If it could "simply be checked before each movement phase" it could be INITIATED on the Second card, even though it was not in play on the preceding First card.
    Ah, I understand. Good point, i didn't realize it has to be initiated. What triggers my OCDs is that it initiates in the beginnng of the Planning phase and then it triggers again before the second maneuver, which is a bit rough to digest. I'd say tailing should be initiated in the beginning of the first movement step, and then checked in the beginning of the second movement step, where the 3rd movement step falls out automatically for there is nothing to rearrange. Same thing, but easier to remember.
    Last edited by Honza; 04-11-2022 at 01:00.

You check for tailing before the planning phase so you can plan for it - either as the pursuer to take advantage of it , or, as the target to break it.
    If you check for it before the first movement you may miss the opportunity to take the advantage of, or, break the tail.
    I'd guess it's done this way to apply to the whole game turn as opposed to the mid phase which may set set you up for the next game turn ? Rarely seen it played in games as the advantage, if any, is brief and the process time consuming...Usually because you have to explain how it works every time it comes up !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave, we don't use tailing in our group, and so i am not used to it. It makes sense now that it is initiated in the planning phase. I guess we should finally try it.

In order to try it, someone has to be good enough to finish a 3 card turn in such a position as to allow tailing to commence in the next 3 card turn!

Unless the target aircraft is very predictable in its movements, it is hard to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Thanks Dave, we don't use tailing in our group, and so i am not used to it...
    Nor do we, I'm running the table Wednesday night so perhaps I'll throw it in the mix ! Thanks for the REP btw.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nor do we, I'm running the table Wednesday night so perhaps I'll throw it in the mix ! Thanks for the REP btw.
    We tried it out, it occurred two or three times during the evening over the three or four games played but we found it pretty ineffectual and the group thought it was more trouble than it was worth. It definitely slowed the game up a bit.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Tailing
    By Dutchy in forum Polls
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-08-2018, 17:14
  2. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 08:41
  3. Tailing & Altitude
    By JBParkland in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 05:13