Ares Games

Thread: AA Gun diagram

Default AA Gun diagram

Guys i've had always troubles to remember the AA Gun sequence. I think this approach with D6 may help.

Is this correct?

Name:  preview - artillery.png
Views: 155
Size:  372.6 KB
    Last edited by Honza; 04-06-2022 at 11:59.

AA Guns:

At start of game, gun is considered loaded and ready to fire. I place the Artillery Counter in the middle of the AA Gun card.

First AA Gun Step:
    At the start of any round, before maneuvers are revealed, the Artillery Counter can be placed anywhere on the table within 2 rulers distance away from the red dot in the middle of the AA Gun card (if not using altitude).

Second (and Third?) AA Gun Step:
    After the Artillery Counter is placed, two Maneuver phases are shown and executed (so this would include the maneuver right after the Artillery Counter is placed). Place the counter face-up, execute the current maneuver, flip the counter face-down. Next maneuver, if any plane is on the face-down counter, they are hit.

If I'm reading this correctly, the Artillery Counter is placed at the start of one maneuver phase, and goes off in the next firing phase, on moving the planes a second time. So, not really two 'more' steps, but One-A (place counter), One-B (move planes), then Two-A (move planes) and Two-B (resolve hits). Hmmm... Only a bit confusing.

If a plane stand or card is overlapping the Artillery Counter (whole counter or any part of it) it is hit with C damage (Friend or Foe).

Artillery fire is simultaneous, unless someone has Itchy Trigger Finger or similar Ace Skill. Remove the Artillery Counter from the play area.

Fourth AA Gun Step:
    On executing the next maneuver, place the Artillery Counter on the top Left corner of the AA Gun card.

Fifth AA Gun Step:
    Execute another maneuver, and place the Artillery Counter on the Left side of the AA Gun card.

Sixth AA Gun Step:
    After the third maneuver, place the Artillery Counter in the center of the AA Gun card.

Restart the Sequence:
    Any following maneuver phase, before revealing any maneuver cards, the player can place the Artillery Counter on the play area.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank you Mike, nice catch

So like this?

"You can place a D6 on the card with the '4' side up after you have fired the Artillery token. Decrease the number on the D6 during each following movement step. When it shows '3' the Artillery token will explode in the fire step that follows. When you would decrease it to '0', remove it instead, and you are good to fire it again right before the next maneuver is revealed."

Views: 163
Size:  243.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Thank you Mike, nice catch

So like this?

"You can place a D6 on the card with the '4' side up after you have fired the Artillery token. Decrease the number on the D6 during each following movement step. When it shows '3' the Artillery token will explode in the fire step that follows. When you would decrease it to '0', remove it instead, and you are good to fire it again right before the next maneuver is revealed."

Views: 163
Size:  243.5 KB
    I think this version is good.

Some of the mechanics for tracking of special activities/events are a bit much for players. Dogfights are easy, mostly. Jams, fires, rudder jams, engine damage all add complexity. Then, we get into altitude, multi-crew planes, bombing, and then ground fire and balloons. For those who are more mentally adept, ammo and fuel loads!

I think your graphical presentation would help.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Perhaps it would be clearer to separate the aircraft activities from the AA gun activities?

Something like this?

Name:  Screenshot_20220406-203752~2.png
Views: 175
Size:  55.6 KB

Might make the diagram over complicated though...

Dom, i like it, this is probably the best way to refresh one's memory.

Yes, I agree, set out the way Dom has makes it easier to keep track of where the AA is up to. Of course, a player still has to concentrate during a game to move the marker at the right times.

I rather like the graphical representation, for me it makes easier to follow. Although it does use the dreaded D-word device that some pilots here loath, I think it makes it easier to use rather than trying to move a chit around a card each phase. Being an old D&D geek I’d use a D4 though! JM2C.

There will be both in the new app content

Name:  preview - artillery 2.png
Views: 127
Size:  371.9 KB

Similar Missions

1. Drachen Rigging Diagram added to Files Section.
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 19:28
  2. Dive Bombing Diagram
    By John B in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 03:53